Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter

FF with high rez mode

How awesome would that be if the new Pentax Full Frame camera could do a 60mp (assuming it's 24mp sensor) or 90mp (assuming it's 36mp sensor) photo using the same high rez mode that Olympus is using to achieve a 40mp image by using the sensor shift to take multiple photos slightly moving the sensor

03-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
90Mpixels is too low in the mega pixels count. I want images in the Gigapixel range. Like here: Gigapixel images, create a giant photo | Image stitching | Kolor
I've imaged a video mode stacking to generate images based on multiframes on the video mode to achieve virtually any ISO and medium format perf. in a small body.
03-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
How awesome would that be if the new Pentax Full Frame camera could do a 60mp (assuming it's 24mp sensor) or 90mp (assuming it's 36mp sensor) photo using the same high rez mode that Olympus is using to achieve a 40mp image by using the sensor shift to take multiple photos slightly moving the sensor
In our CP+ 2015 interview, Pentax said they've abandoned the idea, unfortunately. TBH though, with the size of the of the FF sensor the native resolution is probably going to be sufficient

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-22-2015, 01:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

It looks like a 24Mpixel sensor at low iso without AA filter, already available with the K-3, is already capable of delivery great image quality. Depending on viewing distance, 8Mpixels are enough.

03-22-2015, 02:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought Pentax said that they were going to try to use this technique to improve color depth, that they felt current resolution is enough.
03-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think the first Pentax FF DSLR will be a high resolution model with most probably 50 or less probably 36 Mp. The second FF i belive will be a low resolution model with 16-20 Mp and very high speeds. The third i belive will be a low cost model with moderate resolution 24-36 Mp and moderate speeds.

Enhanced resolution is theoreticaly interesting technology, but i dont think it will have much practical usage except product photos where there are absolutly no wind or movement. 50 Mp native resolution will be much more usefull since it will capture the image in one exposure.
03-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I think the first Pentax FF DSLR will be a high resolution model with most probably 50 or less probably 36 Mp. The second FF i belive will be a low resolution model with 16-20 Mp and very high speeds. The third i belive will be a low cost model with moderate resolution 24-36 Mp and moderate speeds.

Enhanced resolution is theoreticaly interesting technology, but i dont think it will have much practical usage except product photos where there are absolutly no wind or movement. 50 Mp native resolution will be much more usefull since it will capture the image in one exposure.
I would bet the house its not going to he 50mp
03-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this article accurate on FF based on Adam's comments this has been dropped?

Ricoh reveals pixel-shifting high-resolution mode: Coming soon to a camera near you?

03-25-2015, 02:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Is Adam's comment that it has been dropped accurate?