Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2015, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA Lenses on Full Frame (DA 35 ltd)

Rather than taking pictures of flat surfaces to test some DA lenses for their future full frameness I took some on a hike with me attaching them to a Pentax MZ-6. It became apparent right away that there is a divide between the DA zoom lenses and primes. I've tested some DA zooms previously including the DA*16-50 and found that they don't come close to working on FF. The Primes are a different story. Despite having seen elsewhere that the DA 35 ltd isn't considered to work with full frame I found differently. For real world shooting the DA 35 ltd worked fine when used with my MZ-6. Images and more information are in my blog post Pentax Full Frame and APS-c Lenses | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

03-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great blog and great images as well, much appreciated. I was aware of the DA 50 being FF compatible the 35/2.8 was a surprise. Its great to see the DA 35 ltd performing so well on the FF (I'm definitely keeping mine )
03-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
Rather than taking pictures of flat surfaces to test some DA lenses for their future full frameness I took some on a hike with me attaching them to a Pentax MZ-6. It became apparent right away that there is a divide between the DA zoom lenses and primes. I've tested some DA zooms previously including the DA*16-50 and found that they don't come close to working on FF. The Primes are a different story. Despite having seen elsewhere that the DA 35 ltd isn't considered to work with full frame I found differently. For real world shooting the DA 35 ltd worked fine when used with my MZ-6. Images and more information are in my blog post Pentax Full Frame and APS-c Lenses | Wallace Koopmans Artlog
Yes, but with a sensor that moves (stabilized ) it may be less effective.
03-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Interesting caveat

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisfer Quote
Yes, but with a sensor that moves (stabilized ) it may be less effective.
I don't have any way of testing this at the moment of course as I don't have a Full Frame DSLR with sensor based shake reduction. I would be willing to turn that off for use with this lens. With its long focus throw and close focus abilities I find I use it on a tripod more often than other lenses. I almost never use it as a walk around lens.

---------- Post added 03-22-2015 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Great blog and great images as well, much appreciated. I was aware of the DA 50 being FF compatible the 35/2.8 was a surprise. Its great to see the DA 35 ltd performing so well on the FF (I'm definitely keeping mine )
Thank you Stavri, I don't know when I might get a Full Frame DSLR as I am quite happy with my K-3 but it's nice to know what lenses will work when the time comes.

03-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

You know about this thread, right?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-le...ts-thread.html
03-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
He referenced the thread in this initial post, having real world tests it's a better way of doing it...
03-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
He referenced the thread in this initial post, having real world tests it's a better way of doing it...
What about feeding the original thread to keep all the information in the same place?
03-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Great news !

03-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I looked at that thread and it had some very specific requirements. I test a lot of old film cameras and wasn't really interested in changing my methodology. I usually do things like this for myself and then share the results. I saw that the DA 35ltd is listed as not working but I didn't find a real explanation of why. I disagree with the dismissal of this lens for full frame.
03-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Good to know da 35 ltd works well under ff.
03-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA35/2.8 macro limited is a unique and wonderful lens, and as I expect always to have an APS-C camera in my arsenal it's going nowhere.

BUT....

Vignetting is only part of the issue, and these "real world" images (lovely as they are) aren't really ideal for demonstrating it. I recall seeing testing at MFD and infinity focus which showed significant softness in the peripheries. I will be very interested to test it myself when the FF materialises.
03-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Vignetting is only part of the issue
Indeed. Field curvature and edge performance are the other things to consider. I suspect that there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth when people start using their DA lenses on the FF camera, assuming of course that the camera will not automagically default to crop mode when a DA lens is detected.

Steve
03-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
assuming of course that the camera will not automagically default to crop mode when a DA lens is detected
The default settings may do that, but if it's a pro-grade camera (or just a typical Pentax with lots of user control allowed), no doubt that default behaviour will be adjustable. I really can't understand the continuing anxiety about this.

Even Sony lets you turn 'Auto DX crop' off and on as desired in the menu, so it strikes me as a given that Pentax will too.

---------- Post added 2015-03-23 at 02:10 PM ----------

Images and more information are in my blog post
Handy post.

How does the 50-135mm image look once you run it through Lightroom or something else and apply vignette correction?

And maybe when shooting FF and using RAW, there will be more scope for pulling light and colour out of the vignette than there is in working with scanned film ...

Anyway, apply a light 20% crop and suddenly the problem totally goes away, even with the 50-135.

Last edited by rawr; 03-22-2015 at 08:11 PM.
03-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I really can't understand the continuing anxiety about this.
No anxiety. What I can't understand is the continuing obsession with DA lenses on FF. If they work, they work...happy fortune I suppose, though it is not like there are any lack of FF K-mount lenses on the used market. BTW...Pentax is very good at providing default behaviors that cannot be defeated.

Steve
03-26-2015, 04:40 AM   #15

Full Manual
FULLY COMPATIBLE with DA 50 1.4AL, DA 35 2.4, DA smc 70mm 2.4 (Limited and normal edition)

Yes it has a Black plastic Bayonet but for the use I'm going to do it wont be a problem, you can spend a bit more and get a better build body like the MZ5 or MZ5n (but you will only get AV mode (so the camera will choose the shutter speed x you) ( I also have one, I will upload the pictures taken with both MZ30 & MZ5 with my DA lenses)

Read more at: Pentax MZ-30/ZX-30 - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications