Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

24 or 36 or 50 for new FF

Apologies for asking another FF question, but keeping the question, and hopefully the answers, to this question:

What mp count will the new FF sensor likely be ?

I appreciate the mp race is a big issue for many, but I'm considering an upgrade path from my K-3, and getting an improved SNR and DN, with a small mp improvement will for me be a winner.

# I assume it will not be 24 as then the cropping facility will not offer the K3ers much.
# I hope it will not be 50, as the SNR and DN will likely to be poor, and anyway the 645Z takes this space (plus lots, I appreciate)
# 36 competes with the D810 and if Ricoh get the price right there will not be Ricoh-are-in-catch-up complaints, but rather Ricoh have got the spec V price bang on.

So what will it likely be ? Of course it could well be another value ...

03-23-2015, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever sensor they choose, there will be a slew of unhappy shooters. I would prefer something like the sensor in the D4s but the peepers who spend their days looking at 100% crops on 32 inch monitors will probably ignite a firestorm if they don't build something along the lines of the D810. My K5 is going on 5 years and a new body isn't far off. I probably won't go FF but if the new FF camera is relatively compact and lightweight, say about the K10D size, then I would be very interested.

It's also in Ricoh's best interests to get this camera to market sooner rather than later because a lot of people have put new camera and lens purchases on hold waiting to see what this camera is going to be.
03-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Regarding the reports about the capabilties of the new dfa lenses I think the new sony sensor 50mp will be pentax choice. i hope that!!!!
03-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

36 is ok, but Nikon, Canon and Sony will probably offer 50 at that time.

03-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
Regarding the reports about the capabilties of the new dfa lenses I think the new sony sensor 50mp will be pentax choice. i hope that!!!!
i think. it's about your styles on photography and for what your photo.
because every camera have different styles..hehehe
03-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

36mp, they already said it will be more then 24mp. And 50mp would, in many people's minds, compete with the 645z. No point to it. Why do a 50mp FF when you already have a better offer.

And they are limited to what sensors they can buy. Which at this time is 24mp or 36mp. So it will be 36mp.
03-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
36mp, they already said it will be more then 24mp. And 50mp would, in many people's minds, compete with the 645z. No point to it. Why do a 50mp FF when you already have a better offer.

And they are limited to what sensors they can buy. Which at this time is 24mp or 36mp. So it will be 36mp.
That's what I had guessed ...So 36 then the favourite for these reasons ? 36 is my hope as it seems a good balance/compromise - probably will still be noiser than ideal, but good for most uses.

03-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

24 so we can compare it directly with the K-3 :-)
03-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
# I assume it will not be 24 as then the cropping facility will not offer the K3ers much.
Wouldn't people with a K3 just shoot their K3 instead of the crop mode of ANY FF camera?
03-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Wouldn't people with a K3 just shoot their K3 instead of the crop mode of ANY FF camera?
Guess would have a better SNR and DR, though, and would have a FF with it's "advantages" when using FF lenses. Unlikely, I appreciate.

---------- Post added 03-23-15 at 04:39 PM ----------

Just calculated the pixel sizes for K-3 D8100 and 645Z (24, 36, 50 mp approx).

Approx figures:
K-3 - 0.0039 mm
D810 - 0.0049 mm
645Z - 0.0053 mm

So a 24mp to 36mp sensor gain brings a greater increase in photon gathering capacity for a 36mp FF Pentax (=D810 size), than is gained from a D810 to 645Z. I found this interesting when considering how a FF 36mp might perform. I used a 645Z briefly at the weekend and was impressed by the improved quality of the noise. Looking at these approx figures, a 36mp Pentax might be a noticeable improvement on the K-3 in this area.

Of course I may have got my maths wrong ...
03-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Whatever sensor they choose, there will be a slew of unhappy shooters.
There, that is basically what Pentax is all about. Even if they make a 1Dx for $800, someone would still complain.
I personally would like something around 20-28MP, but already some people are claiming that 36MP is still not enough. Even 50MP is just a "compromise" for them. Then you have the other extreme, who want a 12MP nocturnal beast like the Sony A7s. I just hope Pentax doesn't try to please too many people and mess it all up. Better to do one thing really well than to try making various models, functions, that ultimately all fall short individually. So I'll say I don't really care about MP, it will definitely have enough for my use. And the files will probably be too big for my current storage anyway.. and that is part of why I will wait a long while before considering FF
03-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, if I was Pentax and if the 50Mpixel sensor was available, I'd use a native 50Mpixel sensor, no AA filter, and decline the FF camera into 3 models:
- Model A: $3500, 50Mpixels, 24Mpixels in crop mode (same as K-3)
- Model B: $2400, 36Mpixels, 16Mpixels in crop mode (same as K-5IIs)
- Model C: $1600, 24Mpixels, 12Mpixels in crop mode (same as Kx)

Same body, same hardware, same software, but different firmware for each version.
03-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Because it makes much more sense to buy a new camera for lots of money and then use the old one.
03-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Apologies for asking another FF question, but keeping the question, and hopefully the answers, to this question:

What mp count will the new FF sensor likely be ?

I appreciate the mp race is a big issue for many, but I'm considering an upgrade path from my K-3, and getting an improved SNR and DN, with a small mp improvement will for me be a winner.

# I hope it will not be 50, as the SNR and DN will likely to be poor, and anyway the 645Z takes this space (plus lots, I appreciate)
# 36 competes with the D810 and if Ricoh get the price right there will not be Ricoh-are-in-catch-up complaints, but rather Ricoh have got the spec V price bang on.

So what will it likely be ? Of course it could well be another value ...
I think Pentax is going to go with a 36mp FF as an initial release. 24mp is too little too late. Sony may not make the 50mp sensor available to Pentax right away as they need to milk it themselves for a while. Besides even if they make it available, Pentax may not want to use it because it may canibalize the 645Z action.

As much as I want a FF Pentax DSLR, my problem is lack of lenses for the platform. Yes they are releasing long zooms for it. But there are no serious short lenses available or even planned for this platform. Perhaps Pentax is planning to surprise everyone with the release of an FF body and a bunch of short primes and other pro class zooms at the same time. The three amigos can save the day but I do not know for how long.
03-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

THere will be a variety of DFA lenses to be announced that will fill in the gaps and modernise the older FA lenses, which IMO do need the facelift.
Quick shift, better coatings and IQ, and strong yet lightweight designs are all needed (and are being developed) in these new lenses. So for those looking to go FF but are concerned about lens deficiency, I would encourage you to look into the future and enjoy the FF experience when it comes out. After all, who wouldn't want a FF camera to pair up with the FA Ltds and be able to use them with autofocus?