Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
if it wasn’t an FF i would still buy it, because i planed to upgrade from my K5 this year anyway.

03-29-2015, 12:03 AM   #47

Full frame coverage, duh.
03-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thegoderic Quote
Full frame coverage, duh.
Dang, and you were on track for 1 post per year!
03-29-2015, 01:40 AM   #49

Photos: Albums
An absolutely massive, bright viewfinder. i take all of the things in the original poster's list as all but givens. There will be something that will distinguish this camera head and shoulders above others in its class, or even among all FFs. My hope is that it's a VF that takes us back to the glorious days of the ME Super etc.

Someone totted up the expected cost of forthcoming Pentax pro zooms. Going that way holds no attraction for me. My other system is Nikon: a D3, D600 and their pro 2.8 zooms. It's hard to see how I would be ever to fully switch to Pentax for what Nikon gives me: the knowledge that however a demanding job I might go on, I'm always going to come back with the goods because the Nikons can do it all and with minimum fuss. There's also a plentiful second-hand market for Nikon-compatible gear so the above strategy could be achieved quite cheaply if you were starting out, today. There's a penalty to be paid for the Nikon set up and that, of course, is weight and size.

Enter Pentax: the only zoom I have or will have is the 60-250 (excellent). At the moment, I can take this with two or three FA Ltd primes, two K-5s and the Ricoh GR with the wide angle adapter in a small side bag and have amazing IQ with a small footprint. My intention is to take that IQ to the next level with the FF and have a K-3 and k-5iis in the bag for a x1.5 factor.

For people who would prefer a Pentax bag of f2.8 zooms over Canikon, I guessing they just love the ergonomics of Pentax that much more, or just like something a bit unusual (which I respect!)

03-29-2015, 01:47 AM   #50

I suppose if you want the best price possible, it will more likely be the 24mpx rather than 36. And that shall be good enough for me
03-29-2015, 02:25 AM   #51
Site Supporter

So far some good points are made.
- For me it is a well made camera (quality wise like the K-5 is good enough) with all the typical pentax ergonomics
- a reasonable price tag. Too expensive would be a dealbreaker, because I would not be able to buy it
- Wifi tethering on board
- tiltable screen

dealbreakers:
- Price above 3k
- no SR
- Mirror hitting issues with Takumar lenses
- No longer working with the current lens-lineup
- bad camera
- Canikon/Sony Tag

It would be a pity if they forbade camerawise DA lenses , or force the crop-mode. I.E. the Fisheyezoom is working the 2mm at the wide end without vignetting on a Fullframe. It would be a shame to crop there.
03-29-2015, 03:38 AM   #52
Forum Member

One and only condition: 36MP.

Not because of the higher resolution, but because it will make all my APS-C lenses work with 16MP in crop mode on the FF, making them relevant.
03-29-2015, 04:07 AM   #53

Fast focus.
No noise at high iso
Flip tilt LCD
Ability to still use da lenses & have the 1.5x crop factor.
Weather sealed.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/291826-full-frame-w...#ixzz3VlvCchq5

03-29-2015, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #54

Pentax FF?

I own a k3 + K5 and have just bought a Nikon D610 and apart from focusing in dark situations it's better than anything Pentax that I've used. Where I live in Asia Pentax is more expensive than a lot of Canon and Nikon APSC cameras. The resale value of Pentax is lower than any other camera company out there, and to be honest they have brought it on themselves by their lack of advertising and not being on the high street. As someone who once loved Pentax I feel I can no longer defend a company that cares so little about it's user base. The AF on the D610 is head and shoulders above the K3 and it was only $1500. Ok so it's quite old now but I can guarantee the new Pentax will be at least 2k but closer to 2.5k if their new FF zooms are anything to go by.
03-29-2015, 05:36 AM - 4 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jarvyboy Quote
I own a k3 + K5 and have just bought a Nikon D610 and apart from focusing in dark situations it's better than anything Pentax that I've used. Where I live in Asia Pentax is more expensive than a lot of Canon and Nikon APSC cameras. The resale value of Pentax is lower than any other camera company out there, and to be honest they have brought it on themselves by their lack of advertising and not being on the high street. As someone who once loved Pentax I feel I can no longer defend a company that cares so little about it's user base. The AF on the D610 is head and shoulders above the K3 and it was only $1500. Ok so it's quite old now but I can guarantee the new Pentax will be at least 2k but closer to 2.5k if their new FF zooms are anything to go by.
What lenses are you using wither K-3? What with your D610? I personally find the K-3 focuses very quickly, with some lenses, not so much with others. SO to understand your opinion... I once compared a K-3 with Tamron 90 to a D610 with an 85mm lens on it and they both focused pretty much instantly, so I'm not sure how you'd say one was faster than the other. You must have used something different than what I used.

And my god, after Nikon basically cancelled the D600 , and brought out the D610, so they wouldn't have to do warranty work on everyone's D600. And getting kicked out of both Russia and China for shipping those defective D600's there and then refusing to honour the warranty, you have a lot of nerve coming on here and trashing Pentax for disrespecting their user base. It sounds like you want Pentax to be a popular brand to increase your status in the camera world. When I think about my cameras I rarely even think of resale value, because I so rarely get around to selling them. I only care about what they'll do for me. With all due respect, your post sounds incredibly superficial, not to mention ridiculously biased in your non-assessment of Nikon in relation to the whole D600 sensor stain issue.

Or to be even more direct... we don't fawn over Nikons here.

Last edited by normhead; 03-29-2015 at 06:01 AM.
03-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #56
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
not sure yet

i am not sure i want to give up all my DA* lenses at this point. i have been very happy with my K3 and K5 bodies i use them interchangeably. if it has a selectable crop mode it would go a long way towards me buying it. another thing is price. the three lenses introduced so far are pretty pricey especially when compared to third party lenses. but at this point they have a captive market since both sigma and tamron are not at this time producing ay new lenses in the K mount and will not be for the foreseeable future. i wish they would operate on the principal of making a smaller profit on a whole lot of lenses than what seems to be the current model of making a lot of profit on a small amount of lenses. i think this would go a long way to attracting new users to the K mount. that being said there are a lot of used third party lenses including ones with the equivalent of SDM out there for very reasonable prices so that would also be a consideration for buying one. i go back to the spotmatic so i guess that makes me a legacy user. my 2 cents for what its worth.
03-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayn Quote
One and only condition: 36MP.

Not because of the higher resolution, but because it will make all my APS-C lenses work with 16MP in crop mode on the FF, making them relevant.
I go for as low as 30 MP if there was such sensor and it had better high ISO performance than a D810.
03-29-2015, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jarvyboy Quote
The AF on the D610 is head and shoulders above the K3
Having used both for a lot over the last few months, I disagree. It is very lens, light and subject dependent. I've had situations where the D610 AF totally loses it, for example, but where in near identical circumstances and using similar 70-200 lenses the K-3 would keep working and get the shot. No need to hype the D610. It's a nice camera, to be sure, but it's AF isn't anything exceptional.
03-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Having used both for a lot over the last few months, I disagree. It is very lens, light and subject dependent. I've had situations where the D610 AF totally loses it, for example, but where in near identical circumstances and using similar 70-200 lenses the K-3 would keep working and get the shot. No need to hype the D610. It's a nice camera, to be sure, but it's AF isn't anything exceptional.
I thought in my brief experience it was a nice camera as well. If i didn't have so many Pentax lenses, starting from scratch, who knows.... maybe i would have ended up with one. But as above, let's try and keep things in perspective.
03-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #60
Pentaxian

If I could get a split prism and microprism focusing screen, then I might be tempted.

I was just about to write that with KatzEye Optics gone kaput, that has become very problematic. However. . . I just now checked their website, and there's an announcement that KatzEye "will be acquired by a premier manufacturer of microstructured optics" rather than going out of business! Woohoo!

Pentax FF with a KatzEye screen and some of those new Samyang lenses, like the 35mm f1.4 that I recently snagged? Old school shooting with the newest technology. That could be an appealing combo for me.

Still expensive, tho. If I really wanted to go big, I could get a 6X7 or even 6X9 format film camera for a lot less money. (And then spend a fortune on film and processing!)