Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #121

I've a small wishlist...

1. Better low light quality.
I compared the K3 with other made of APS-C camera, they are on par until beyond ISO 6400, K3 struggled to produce an usable color correct image and grain build up rapidly, while other still smooth as silk at 25600 both are JPG, I would sacrifice resolution for image quality at low light if no other choice, no matter it is FF or APS-C

2. Build in Wifi instead of add on card

3. Slightly bigger than K3 body with vertical grip/release and higher capacity battery, I don't want add on battery grip but USB charging/external battery case like pro flash gun

4. Better weather sealing
I've some complain about the K3 sealing, I ruined my first K3 in a down pour.

5. More ergonomic body design.
Controls need not to be line up perfectly, dials can be slightly incline to better match the finger movement

6. Back-lited controls and dials

7. Lens lens lens !!!
General purpose kit lens like the 24-105/f4 and 75-300/4-5.6 WR is a good start without breaking the wallet

04-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I've a small wishlist...

1. Better low light quality.
I compared the K3 with other made of APS-C camera, they are on par until beyond ISO 6400, K3 struggled to produce an usable color correct image and grain build up rapidly, while other still smooth as silk at 25600 both are JPG, I would sacrifice resolution for image quality at low light if no other choice, no matter it is FF or APS-C

2. Build in Wifi instead of add on card

3. Slightly bigger than K3 body with vertical grip/release and higher capacity battery, I don't want add on battery grip but USB charging/external battery case like pro flash gun

4. Better weather sealing
I've some complain about the K3 sealing, I ruined my first K3 in a down pour.

5. More ergonomic body design.
Controls need not to be line up perfectly, dials can be slightly incline to better match the finger movement

6. Back-lited controls and dials

7. Lens lens lens !!!
General purpose kit lens like the 24-105/f4 and 75-300/4-5.6 WR is a good start without breaking the wallet

I hope they keep the body size as close as possible to the K3. It is by far the best handling body I have ever shot with and am able to hand hold from the wrist with the telephoto all day without wearing myself out. Shame if it went jumbo size as staying small is a very important aspect of the Pentax experience for me.
04-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Pixel Shifting feature may be another amazing bonus if it's as good or better than it works on the K3ii

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/293823-pixel-shi...ntax-k3ii.html

Examples with and without PS (Pixel Shift) on. K3ii

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3-2/ex/

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/293823-pixel-shi...#ixzz3YC11inKf
04-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #124
Site Supporter

Could be that the K-3 II came out as a consolation prize for those that will not be able to afford the FF.

04-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Could be that the K-3 II came out as a consolation prize for those that will not be able to afford the FF.

If so it's a pretty nice one.
04-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #126
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Not "could be" I am sure it was planned that way. Announce the FF to 'freeze' the market, then release the k-3II at a very attractive price just far enough before the FF that many will just say "FF will be too expensive anyway, this is almost as good, better in some ways" and buy the k-3II. Some will upgrade to the k-3II and get the FF when it comes anyway.

I'm debating whether to upgrade my k-3 or my k-5IIs now and wait until 2016 for the FF. Certainly complicates the buying process.............
05-03-2015, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member

Again, these things will make me buy one:

24.5MP
CF-Card slot and an SD-Card slot
since it has a CF-Card Slot and a 24.5MP FF-Sensor, it will be capable of:
at least -> 10 FPS in RAW-Mode
endless RAW shooting
a rotatable or at least tiltable screen built like a tank so i can use it from the height of my hip or my belly

+all Features that are already implemented in the K-3II body.

more is not needed.

some exciting new tech would be cool but it would not make my decision.
07-27-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #128

The Full Frame: What will make you buy it?

............................MONEY ! ! !

07-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #129
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
The Full Frame: What will make you buy it?
Is having a FF sensor the correct answer?
07-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #130

Photos: Gallery
I thought about it a lot, but finally i got it. the main reason is to increase the versatility of my old FF lenses, many of them are dated but still quite nice.

I'm keeping both the K5 and K1. I'm somewhat of a pixel peeper and the old lens may be not as resolved with the K1 incredible resolution, but all that became mute compared to the significantly wider FOV that my old lenses already possess but were never realized (digitally speaking). You know all about that creamy bokeh from the nifty fifty 50/f1.4; the 35/f2; the 77/f1.8? and macro 100/f2.8? Now the entire photo compositions from these trusted lenses look even creamier, just because it's wider, thanks to FF!

I feel like i just got myself a second set of lenses with completely different performance characteristic, for free! . And, boy oh boy, the K1 feels really nice. it's an awesome tool and very intuitive to use. I'm happy with the purchase.

Last edited by truonganh; 07-27-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: auto edit
07-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
I thought about it a lot, but finally i got it. the main reason is to increase the versatility of my old FF lenses, many of them are dated but still quite nice.

I'm keeping both the K5 and K1. I'm somewhat of a pixel peeper and the old lens may be not as resolved with the K1 incredible resolution, but all that became mute compared to the significantly wider FOV that my old lenses already possess but were never realized (digitally speaking). You know all about that creamy bokeh from the nifty fifty 50/f1.4; the 35/f2; the 77/f1.8? and macro 100/f2.8? Now the entire photo compositions from these trusted lenses look even creamier, just because it's wider, thanks to FF!

I feel like i just got myself a second set of lenses with completely different performance characteristic, for free! . And, boy oh boy, the K1 feels really nice. it's an awesome tool and very intuitive to use. I'm happy with the purchase.
I bought it mostly for the FF, the WiFi and Pixel Shift, and then all other features. ANd also since my K-7 and K-5 started giving me issues..
But I am being forced to use it in crop mode quite a lot, for real-estate shooting with my Sigma 10-20. No budget for the Pentax 15-30 yet..
So the new feature that I actually enjoy the most with real-estate shooting is the HDR in RAW format and the screen - Bigger, brighter and flexible.
Pixel-Shift Resolution - I find it time consuming and I have not reached that point where I need super high quality.
Astrotracer - I can't wait to use it but haven't done it yet. Too much light pollution in the Bay Area..
I am also enjoying the relatively lower noise in high ISO (800)