Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Let's see...

Currently I am a happy owner of a K-5 IIs and a K-01. As a portraitist, the shallower dof coming with a larger sensor would come in handy.
That could be the first reason to buy the FF.

About what I'd like it to feature:
  • Higher sync speed, AT LEAST 1/200" but the faster, the better
  • 5-axis shake reduction, though I already think the current SR itself on a 24x36mm sensor is a primacy
  • The possibility to shoot RAW at lower resolutions than native (which I guess will be 36 megapixels)
  • The possibility to let the user disable auto-crop on DA series lenses (yeah let me take all the vignetting and decide how to crop it later!)
  • A function similar to Hasselblad's True Focus, which I think is unlikely
  • Better (=more coverage) autofocus points placement, i.e. the SAFOX XI scheme on the 645Z has caused all the focus points to be placed on the center area because it was designed for APS-C coverage
  • A good tethering system
  • A flawless P-TTL

03-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on the cost of the two lenses released, I'm guessing there is going to be some sticker shock. This is not being marketed as a low cost enthusiast system. I won't be at all surprised to see it come out at over 3.3k and eventually settle in around 3k.

I doubt I'll have the money for either the K-FF or either lens real soon. And the 150-450 if it 's fas focusing, will come first.
03-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Will I pay $2,799 USD for a viewfinder? Dunno. To buy the camera I'd have to sell all my film cameras and all the manual focus lenses I kept when I traded up to the Three Princesses. Then I wouldn't need the camera unless I buy the 24-70 and the 70-200 - which would be twice the price of the camera.
k-ff = $2,799?
24-70 = $1,499?
70-200 = $2,299
15-30 = $1,299?

So, $7,896.............. I'm not sure the $20 in the envelope trick will work We might have to go with $100s...............

I like the "idea" of FF. I won't have to feel somehow inferior when out shooting with my buds. It will probably be an amazing camera. It will have a wonderful viewfinder, great ergonomics, Pentax special sauce and superb low light abilities. But $7,896? Wow. It is a little sobering when you add it up like that.

And then put it all in a camera bag and walk around snapping pictures. With close to $10k of gear on my back. Now that's scary.
03-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I have been preparing for the camera. I do have the three amigos/princesses, the DFA 100mm Macro. My only Pentax ASPC lenses are the DA 16-50 and the DA 60-250, but might keep the K3 for them. So for me to move on it the major investment will be the FF body itself. However, if it is 3 big ones it will probably have to wait a while.

03-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It better be the right combination of capabilities and price to make me upgrade from the IIS, especially since I scored another IIS body (probably the last one) at B&H for under $500-. If I upgrade, the IIS body will be a backup and someone will get the old one. Now to see what Pentax has in store.
03-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I guess I have been preparing for the camera. I do have the three amigos/princesses, the DFA 100mm Macro. My only Pentax ASPC lenses are the DA 16-50 and the DA 60-250, but might keep the K3 for them. So for me to move on it the major investment will be the FF body itself. However, if it is 3 big ones it will probably have to wait a while.
I hear ya... I am fully prepared with mostly ff compatible lenses. I am surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious benefit of depth of field. You will see a much greater difference in the individual aperture settings compared to APS-C. I am looking forward to experiencing my current lenses as new lenses on a FF body. I will most definitely keep my k-5iis' as secondary shooters.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 06:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by olypdd Quote
It better be the right combination of capabilities and price to make me upgrade from the IIS, especially since I scored another IIS body (probably the last one) at B&H for under $500-. If I upgrade, the IIS body will be a backup and someone will get the old one. Now to see what Pentax has in store.
ha, ha... I did and will do the EXACT same thing. Will be going to my brother or sister. One owns a k-01 and the other a k-7. It will be a hard choice on who to share the love with.
03-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NewTake Quote
I hear ya... I am fully prepared with mostly ff compatible lenses. I am surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious benefit of depth of field. You will see a much greater difference in the individual aperture settings compared to APS-C. I am looking forward to experiencing my current lenses as new lenses on a FF body. I will most definitely keep my k-5iis' as secondary shooters.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 06:53 PM ----------

ha, ha... I did and will do the EXACT same thing. Will be going to my brother or sister. One owns a k-01 and the other a k-7. It will be a hard choice on who to share the love with.
That, my friend is what we call a win-win.

03-28-2015, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #38

I suppose if it could make me a sammich and do my dishes for me...maybe clean the cat box I might consider giving up my K-3 for it. But, I am VERY happy with both my K-3 and Samsung NX30. I already have to hear my girlfriend complain about having two cameras, all the lenses, the other gear, and having three bikes. If I added another camera to the collection I'm sure it would cost me jewelry at the same price as the new camera.

As a side note, I find it interesting how I get asked why I have three bikes when I can only ride one at a time, yet when I counter with "why do you have 30 pairs of shoes, you only have 2 feet" I have to sleep on the couch.
03-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

What will make me buy the Pentax digital 35mm camera:

Just having enough money, that's all because why not?

All Pentax bodies I bought, never regretted buying them- not because of the money spent, but because of what I can do with them. So I guess it's safe to say that getting the Pentax FF would be an even better experience too!
03-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Listing our FF compatible lenses will have to wait for another thread. As far as specs go: there WON'T be an improvement to the SafoX XI module, the old one it's what we'll get. As Adam insinuated, they have this one "secret" thing which It might be the pixel-shift tech, (or super resolution), 3.2" tilting LCD, NFC, Wifi (hopefully GPS but I highly doubt it due to spatial constrains) Bigger Viewfinder.....kickass 36mpx sensor with unparallelled DR (closely matching the 645z IQ)...

I say to you what I said about the D-FA lenses, the problem is not worrying whether they're going to perform, they'll undoubtedly will. The real issue is figuring out how to afford 'em...
03-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bigger viewfinder will make me buy it along with my 43 acting as a normal lens again. Give me 80% of the performance of the K-3 with bigger files and I'd be impressed. Similar noise handling to the K-3 with another couple of extra useable ISO stops would be nice too. Body will be at the €2.5K mark I think. People need to get over seeing Pentax as a value brand. This will be a halo product with pricing to match. Some of the specs / wants quoted in previous comments are unrealistic.
03-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #42
Forum Member

Lenses. Pure, sweet, and simple. Without them, why bother?
03-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #43
Forum Member

I've not had my K3 a year, but I would be looking for the following in a Pentax FF (or K3 mk II)

- improved AF tracking and wider AF coverage
- low noise at high ISO
- build quality and WR to at least match the K3
- articulated rear screen
- WiFi compatibility
- improved DR
- a sensible price (between 1500-2000 GBP - although reality will likely add another 1000)

I'm happy enough with the 24mp of my K3, and would only want more if it didn't compromise noise or DR in anyway.

I'd also love to see something 'left field' like a hybrid electronic / optical viewfinder or even a full blown EVF. With the superb legacy lenses available in K mount, focus peaking and magnified view for focusing as well as being able to superimpose a live histogram would be great. It would have to be at least as good as those from Olympus, Sony and Fuji though.

Just my thoughts.

Simon.
03-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canuck_west Quote
Lenses. Pure, sweet, and simple. Without them, why bother?
I have the lenses. Fisheye, 24/2.0, 31/1.8, 43/1.9, 50/1.2, 55/1.4, 77/1.8, 100macro, 135/2.5, even 300/4.0 if you want to avoid the extra reach of APS-C.
Now I just want the body.
03-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
As far as specs go: there WON'T be an improvement to the SafoX XI module, the old one it's what we'll get.
Huh?

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Bigger viewfinder will make me buy it along with my 43 acting as a normal lens again
Yes, these are high on my list as well, along with a swivel screen a la 645Z. Having pancake 40/43mm lenses to use on FF would be great, along with the ease of using one set of lenses in the same manner across my digital and film bodies. But to be honest, there is not much about my K-5II that bothers me. It meets all of my needs and most of my wants. Throw me a DA 28-35mm f2ish Limited in the form factor of the 21/43/70 Ltds, and I might start running out of reasons to lust for the FF!

Ah, who am I kidding, I'll lust anyway!