Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #61

Price. For me, APSC is fine and I am sorry, but 2K for a slightly different DOF and frame size is just not worth it...

---------- Post added 03-30-15 at 12:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by type Quote
There's a penalty to be paid for the Nikon set up and that, of course, is...
Here, let me edit that for you appropriately.

...image quality, color, and being a lemming.

03-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- The bigger VF
- the sensor size : one set of lens for digital and film, instead of one set for each.

I really don't care for the rest, wether it be FPS, Iso noise, megapickels (with or without vinegar), and so on.
03-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
I've been rationalising my kit recently and am now down to a Sigma 10-20, an FA 35 f2 and either the DA70 or the D-FA100 Macro. This already adds up to a lot of weight and bulk if you're on foot all day with things to do other than carry cameras around and photograph things. It would be attractive if they could pull a rabbit out of the hat and make it really light and compact. A few weeks back I was working with a friend shooting with a 5DII with a 24-70, while I was using a 16-45 on my K3. I know that the 16-45 is only an f4 lens, but the bulk and weight of the FF kit was considerable.
03-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a little late to this thread but I'll throw in my feelings. I'm quite happy with my last 2 digital cameras, a K10D and K5. My K5 is now approaching 5 years of some pretty hard duty so I'm dealing with the reality of a new camera body in the next year or so. APS-C lends itself very well to my photography so for that reason, there will always be an APS-C DSLR in my collection. I can't deny being attracted to the idea of a FF camera. Heck, I'm also attracted to the 645Z but since my spending isn't unlimited, I can't really justify it.

First, I have arthritis so the new FF body needs to be a reasonable size and weight. A FF sensor in a K10D/20D sized body would be awesome. Pentax has a long history of compact cameras so this isn't an unreasonable expectation.

Next would be the price. Somewhere around $2000 - $2400 (less would be better!) would be within reach. That will compete with the Nikon D750 and Canon 6D.

Sensor size isn't an issue with me and a D4 or D750 sized sensor would be a bigger attraction to me rather than 36 or 50 megapickles.

I have a decent collection of FF glass so no initial expense there although I would probably look for a used walk around AF zoom like the Tamron 28-75 or Sigma 24-70. I'm not one who has been clamoring for a FF so I'm just waiting to see how it unfolds. If circumstances cause me to to have to buy a new body before the FF is released, then I will likely buy a K3 or K5lls and the FF will become a back burner item for a few more years. Also, if it's just too big and heavy or too expensive, I would just rule it out.

03-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #65
Pentaxian

I'm not all that fussy about cameras, so I'm pretty sure that the Pentax FF will have more than enough features to satisfy me. Even if it was merely a K-5iis with an FF sensor, that would be good enough for me. I have always suspected the real challenge with Pentax FF would be the lenses. With the small user base, Pentax simply will not be able to make lenses to fit everyone's needs. They'll have an f2.8 zoom trinity, a kit zoom, the 150-450, and some primes. None of those lenses really fit my shooting style, so I'll be sticking with APS-C.
03-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
None of those lenses really fit my shooting style, so I'll be sticking with APS-C.
What would you like to see that is missing? You have some amazing work, and I thought you would be eager for FF based on your style. Just curious what you feel is needed in the lens department
03-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #67

as a pentax it should be pass Pentax Proven Review

03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What lenses are you using wither K-3? What with your D610? I personally find the K-3 focuses very quickly, with some lenses, not so much with others. SO to understand your opinion... I once compared a K-3 with Tamron 90 to a D610 with an 85mm lens on it and they both focused pretty much instantly, so I'm not sure how you'd say one was faster than the other. You must have used something different than what I used.

And my god, after Nikon basically cancelled the D600 , and brought out the D610, so they wouldn't have to do warranty work on everyone's D600. And getting kicked out of both Russia and China for shipping those defective D600's there and then refusing to honour the warranty, you have a lot of nerve coming on here and trashing Pentax for disrespecting their user base. It sounds like you want Pentax to be a popular brand to increase your status in the camera world. When I think about my cameras I rarely even think of resale value, because I so rarely get around to selling them. I only care about what they'll do for me. With all due respect, your post sounds incredibly superficial, not to mention ridiculously biased in your non-assessment of Nikon in relation to the whole D600 sensor stain issue.

Or to be even more direct... we don't fawn over Nikons here.
wow... you trash this guy's experience and ask what lenses he is using to have bad AF...
... then you never use a D600 but trash it....
(and please don't 'represent' all of us in PF by using "we", in "we don't fawn over Nikons here."

not very nice, don't you think?
03-30-2015, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
wow... you trash this guy's experience and ask what lenses he is using to have bad AF...
... then you never use a D600 but trash it....
(and please don't 'represent' all of us in PF by using "we", in "we don't fawn over Nikons here."

not very nice, don't you think?
SO you think people should just come on here and trashe Pentax and get a free ride? Or is it because you agree with his opinion? OK LFlee direct question.
What kind of person comes on s Pentax site, trashes the brand everyone uses, trashes the company that makes what they use, repeats some propaganda about how they treat their customers when the company they favour has one of the biggest manufacturing fiascos in history going on with it's current models.

A rude friggin person LFlee. .

Is that what you support LFlee? Really? This isn't the "we fawn over Nikon Site." Adam made one of those for y'all. Go fawn there. We prefer to see things straight up, as they are. Sure we have our issues with Pentax, but coming on here pretending Nikon is some kind of "god" company. Really? Is that what you're about?

All I have to say to that guy is "if you can't take it, don't dish it out."

As for you LFlee, I was out with 3 Nikon Shooters and a Canon shooter yesterday. Not one of us was so rude they had to trash another camera company or insult the other guy's gear. Because those were nice people. They were people who were able to respect each other choices. It is actually possible to say what you like about your camera, without trashing everyone else's. There's a few on this forum need to learn that.

And you're darn right if someone comes on tells us the K-3 focuses slowly he better tell us what lens he's using. For all we know he's using A glass and he's an idiot. We try and give folks the benefit of the doubt... as long as that's possible.

Last edited by Ash; 03-30-2015 at 05:50 PM.
03-30-2015, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

SO you think people should just come on here and trashe Pentax and get a free ride? Or is it because you agree with his opinion? OK LFlee direct question.
What kind of person comes on s Pentax site, trashes the brand everyone uses, trashes the company that makes what they use, repeats some propaganda about how they treat their customers when the company they favour has one of the biggest manufacturing fiascos in history going on with it's current models.

A rude friggin person LFlee. Good to see you're on board with them. We know more about you.

Is that what you support LFlee? Really? What the heck are you doing here. This isn't the "we fawn over Nikon Site." Adam made one of those for y'all. Go fawn there. We prefer to see things straight up, as they are. Sure we have our issues with Pentax, but coming on here pretending Nikon is some kind of "god" company. Really? Is that what you're about?

All I have to say to that guy is "if you can't take it, don't dish it out."

As for you LFlee, I was out with 3 Nikon Shooters and a Canon shooter yesterday. Not one of us was so rude they had to trash another camera company or insult the other guy's gear. Because those were nice people. They were people who were able to respect each other choices. It is actually possible to say what you like about your camera, without trashing everyone else's. There's a few on this forum need to learn that.

And you're darn right if someone comes on tells us the K-3 focuses slowly he better tell us what lens he's using. For all we know he's using A glass and he's an idiot. We try and give folks the benefit of the doubt... as long as that's possible.
wow! take it easy...

... this is suppose to be a "friendly" forum - read the PF logo.

I think he is entitled to his experience use of Pentax camera, and so do you. He don't really have to tried all the Pentax lenses on K3 before he can make any opinion about the system. I suppose you didn't use all Nikon cameras and lenses before you trash the D600? I just pointed that out, but whatever suit you, including your view of me.
(I'm out of here)
03-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I suppose you didn't use all Nikon cameras and lenses before you trash the D600? I just pointed that out,
I didn't trash the D600. I said the way Nikon handled the D600 sensor stain issue was worse than anything Pentax has ever done. So, what you pointed out, was in error. I'm sure you can find lots of reason to disagree with my point of view, without making up stuff. By the way for the most part, we don't fawn over Pentax stuff here either. We're just not big on any fawning. But particularly not for off brands.
03-30-2015, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Given' Pentax fanboys a bad name there Norm!

.. I once compared a K-3 with Tamron 90 to a D610 with an 85mm lens on it and they both focused pretty much instantly,
And if you did that 'AF test' with the same rigor you do your 'IQ' tests you continually provide to the forum, you shot both in good light, f/8, subject at or near hyperfocal and compared output at 4x6''.

03-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #73

The truth is that many K3 owners (and I'm one) don't like the idea of the Pentax flagship being toppled from its perch by a new full frame camera so they will no longer own the 'best' Pentax available (I'm not counting the 645Z because it's in such a rarified price/performance group that for anyone who isn't a top pro or very well heeled amateur it's simply beyond reach for many).

The truth is though that many Pentax owners will buy a full frame camera next time they start looking at a new body because the K3 tech is starting to lag the state of the art. It's the same with computers - the Alienware M17R2 laptop I'm typing this on was once about the most powerful laptop in the world but by today's standards is a modest performer. Eventually I will end up replacing it with something that runs Lightroom or my beloved flight simulators even faster. The full frame will sell because it will offer numerous advantages over the K3 that will enhance your photography.

I saw the Prototype at the NEC show and was surprised how small it is - not much bigger than a K3. I'm not sure if I like the retro shaped Pentaprism or not and I agree that a gripped K3 is ergonomically just about perfect but until I hold a working model in my hands it's hard to compare. My one surprise is that given the FF is due to launch this year that they are still touting a plastic mock-up rather than having working pre-production models out in the field already. I would have thought that ironing out design and software issues as well as gearing up for production of the final design would take more than 6 months which takes us to early October already but I know nothing about the timescales involved in producing a high tech product like this so am not qualified to comment.

I can say that having tried the 150-450mm lens it is an awesome bit of kit and I will probably eventually purchase one.

I'm very excited by the FF development because it will give the Pentax system the headroom it needs for photographers who want to develop and achieve maximum quality. That's very important for pro's and serious amateurs alike - and that's important for the future of Pentax and its ability to attract more users into its ecosystem. As for price I thought the $2000/£1500 launch price was almost confirmed which strikes me as very competitive indeed.

J
03-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
the K3 tech is starting to lag the state of the art. It's the same with computers - the Alienware M17R2 laptop I'm typing this on was once about the most powerful laptop in the world but by today's standards is a modest performer.
J, we can expect in turn, a successor to the K-3. :-)
03-31-2015, 05:15 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
And if you did that 'AF test' with the same rigor you do your 'IQ' tests you continually provide to the forum, you shot both in good light, f/8, subject at or near hyperfocal and compared output at 4x6''.

Your tests are done with practically no shooting as far as i can tell. Just opinions. You provide nothing. You shoot none situation with one camera , and another situation an the other in another situation and say "I like this one better." Or "I had to take one like this , there was a wall in my way" or some other BS. But hey, it's what we expect of you now, it doesn't faze anyone anymore.

Too funny, the guy who does practically zilch going after the guys who do the comparisons. You're an odd duck Jay. You want the status, but you don't want to do the work.