Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
ya, for those of us who grew up with tilt shift... y'all got cameras that are toys.... and adding a front lens tilt shift without being able to tilt and shift the film plane, that's only half the job. Mind you, tilt shift is so much work I'm not sure I'd be using one if a cheap functional one was available. It sure would be a heck of a lot easier though with digital capture and an iPad to check your images before you head home.
There's a Rokinon one that's allegedly not bad. Haven't tried it myself.

---------- Post added 04-08-15 at 06:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thank you for that post! New photographers don't really understand that there is a whole niche of photography that doesn't require AF. Landscapes, portraits, night photography, astrophotography, zone focused action photography, etc. You may buy an expensive camera body, but be able to limit the rest of your lenses to manual. So cool too. For me, macros are easier done with a mirrorless than DSLR.

I invited one of our older members to demonstrate at our club last night how his 4" by 5" view camera was setup and used. People loved it and asked a lot of questions. He demonstrated how one could tilt the film back and the lens itself to get continuous focus from 3' to infinity. Makes me feel really foolish to be complaining about not having this feature or that feature.

Thats what mirrorless has done for the community, made it very easy to use a variety of manual lenses and focus them in a competent manner.
I'd put it as 'Focus them to a degree of accuracy that is difficult to attain on cameras+viewfinders that are optimized for autofocus'

04-08-2015, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

---------- Post added 04-08-15 at 06:02 PM ----------

I'd put it as 'Focus them to a degree of accuracy that is difficult to attain on cameras+viewfinders that are optimized for autofocus'
For sure, there is nothing in the digital world that compares to looking at an 8 inch by 10 inch glass plates, and seeing on it, exactly what you're going to capture on your images. If you contact print it as an 8x10, what you see is exactly what you get.

Last edited by normhead; 04-09-2015 at 01:11 PM.
04-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I have the K-mount Samyang, which I think is the same one.

I have only made limited use of it so far. The simple fact is - it needs an FF camera! What is the point of shifting all the way when the sensor doesn't cover the extreme ends of the shift?

Waiting ... waiting ...!