Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Zeiss ZK Lenses for new FF body

Hi,

As most would know that Zeiss once made the excellent ZE and ZF lenses for Pentax mount in ZK form, would it be worthwhile putting together a petition or at least make some noise online asking them to bring back the ZK mount lenses for the upcoming FF Pentax camera? Perhaps Adam could put together an official request email to them.

I know I would be keen on a ZK 15/2.8, 21/2.8 etc.

This should be no problem for them as they already have the mount and flange distance sorted.

Any others agree?

04-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't see why not. They're (Zeiss) is known for making high quality primes, so those who do landscapes would likely go buy one.
04-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I support, although don't forget there must be a sufficient demand for Zeiss to resume K mount...
04-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If Cosina, as the maker of the cheaper, but still very good, Voigtlander lenses abandoned the K-mount, I don't expect Zeiss will re-enter the market any time soon. Part of the problem is the comparatively small number of K-mount users, but the rest is the parsimonious reputation of the bulk of those users, both of which will be addressed over time, as the Ricoh growth plan is implemented. In the meantime, petitions and the like will serve to remind them that we're still here, but their marketing people will be watching who's spending the money on what sort of lenses, and the real decision-making will come from that.

While you're at it, you could petition Cosina, too.

04-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I thought ziess still produced k mount?
04-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I know I would be keen on a ZK 15/2.8, 21/2.8 etc.
The 21/2.8 was previously available as a ZK lens, so you may be able to find a used example.

The 15/2.8 only appeared after Zeiss ceased production of the ZK lenses.
However, like all the lenses of the DSLR line, except the Otus Distagon 55/1.4,
it is available as an "industrial" lens in M42 screw mount.
04-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
I thought ziess still produced k mount?
They stopped making ZK versions quite some time ago. Used examples appear every now and then, at prices approaching, or even higher in the case of the 21/2.8, those when they were new.

04-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
the parsimonious reputation of the bulk of those users, both of which will be addressed over time, as the Ricoh growth plan is implemented.
I'm curious to see what Ricoh is able to do to address that parsimonious reputation!
04-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think Zeiss might re-start on their own once the FF comes out and gets traction. If its good enough.
The other problem is that Zeiss lenses are fairly expensive (at least for MF glass), so even if there is a Pentax FF, the demand will be low. Especially when Samyang makes lenses that are nearly as good (okay, debatable) and cost 1/10 as much.
I sometimes dream about the Zeiss 25mm, but it costs too much for me to seriously consider

But sure, it would be good to see Zeiss bring back ZK
04-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I sometimes dream about the Zeiss 25mm, but it costs too much for me to seriously consider
The ZK 25/2.8 is my favorite lens.

It's often available relatively cheaply, around EUE 600,
as it doesn't look good in the online lens tests.

Interestingly enough, in Zeiss' own data for their industrial lenses,
it's rated as equal to the 21/2.8,
namely good for a pixel pitch as close as 3.4 microns (at 30% MTF),
while e.g. the 28/2 or 50/1.4 are only good for 3.9 microns.
04-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Both Carl Zeiss and Voigtlander stopped to manufacture Pentax K-mount lenses several years ago. Most CZ and VL lenses are truly outstanding, if you like MF. (I have 2 CZ and 2 VL lenses, and I love them.)

However as mentioned by RobA_Oz, neither Carl Zeiss and Voigtlander will restart to manufacture K-mounts for a very small market share..
04-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I'm curious to see what Ricoh is able to do to address that parsimonious reputation!
Like all reputations, it's not universally true, even if there is some justification for it, but the small product range in recent years coupled with the huge popularity of the older film SLRs has made it seem to be a budget brand to some, or at best a legacy brand. Ricoh has publicly stated that they want to increase sales to the level where they'll challenge the current biggest players, but whether they'll be able to capture the prestige end of the market, which is where the sales of expensive specialty lenses lies, remains to be seen.
04-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know that Leitax.com make exchangeable mounts for the ZF line enabling conversion to Sony Alpha mount. Maybe we ask them to make a new mount for the ZF to K?

I really want a ZK 15/2.8 for a future Pentax FF
04-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

But Zeiss still makes all lenses in Z-M42 or ZS mount. This is alternative solution
Large Image Format Lenses | ZEISS Canada
04-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
But Zeiss still makes all lenses in Z-M42 or ZS mount. This is alternative solution
Large Image Format Lenses | ZEISS Canada
No, as I posted above, they don't offer the Otus Distagon 55/1.4 in screwmount.
Check the brochure for that lens on the site you linked to.

---------- Post added 04-03-15 at 07:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Like all reputations, it's not universally true, even if there is some justification for it, but the small product range in recent years coupled with the huge popularity of the older film SLRs has made it seem to be a budget brand to some, or at best a legacy brand. Ricoh has publicly stated that they want to increase sales to the level where they'll challenge the current biggest players, but whether they'll be able to capture the prestige end of the market, which is where the sales of expensive specialty lenses lies, remains to be seen.
One niche for Cosina-Zeiss would be to redo
the old leaf shutter lenses Zeiss made for Rollei MF
in the Pentax 645 mount,
especially as Pentax doesn't seem to be offering leaf shutter lenses now
in any format other that Q mount.