Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL! I see the words "Mounts: Canon Full Frame, Nikon Full Frame" right there in your own screenshot. Sorry, it's just that I own one and it works just fine on FF.
Yes and I can use the 50-150 F2.8 on FF along with most of their DX line lenses but they are label DX lenses so that we know that they are not optimized for FF image circle. Tell me if it is a made for FF why is it not labeled as a FX or D in their way of labeling FF lenses. This is why, if it was labeled as FF and only operated in 1/3 of the designed FL range there would be a lot of angry FF operators out there.

So they rate it as a DX lens that can be used on the FF sensor with a caveat to of the restrictions when used on a FF camera. I think many FF shooters would agree that for a lens to be FF compatible it should operate within the zoom range stated on the barrel of the lens without impediment to the FOV on a FF sensor. If it was marketed as a FF 10-17mm lens how many lawsuit and returned lenses would Tokina see, they have to market it as a DX that can be used in a limited manor on a FF body.

As I have stated before most of their DX line of lenses can be used on FF bodies at least with some part of the zoom being able to utilize a FF image circle so are these all now FF compatible lenses ? no they are a dx lens that can be used on a FF sensor in a limited way as they always have.
And lets have tokina's last word

04-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #107
Forum Member

400 f2.8
200 f4 MacroWR
24 1.4

Not that I could afford any of those...
04-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #108
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Cantwell Quote
400 f2.8
200 f4 MacroWR
24 1.4

Not that I could afford any of those...
that's why its called a wish list
04-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Thanks for the thoughtful comments, KDAFA.
Wishing you every success and enjoyment in your ongoing photographic journey.

04-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Just wondering... what are you guys using these UW lenses for that you need them to be so fast? Is astrophotography the reason - or another one?
yes, astro stuff!
04-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Could having 9 circular blades possibly alter the nature of the 43's bokeh? Personally I'm not sure I might like that - the bokeh of the current 43 is unique, possessing a certain texture and special quality about it. This contributes in part to the unique rendering or "look" that the FA43 Ltd imparts on the images it captures. I'm not talking here about the shape of OOF highlights, rather the character of the bokeh. If having 9 circular blades causes the bokeh to change to the more common, typical "smooth" variety (not that this type of bokeh is a bad thing in itself), then we're talking about losing one significant aspect of the 43's signature character.
What do you mean for "character"? If you speak about something like the "poetry" of the lens I can only say that its focal lenght is its charcater. The new industry standard reclaims circular aperture blades and bokeh like this PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model isn't the right way to present a new lens. I'd prefer a unique colour rendering like Zeiss has in his lenses and Pentax has in some lenses...another quality that only Pentax has it's the compactness, therefore I don't ask more then minor improvements.
04-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Floydjkt Quote
What do you mean for "character"? If you speak about something like the "poetry" of the lens I can only say that its focal lenght is its charcater. The new industry standard reclaims circular aperture blades and bokeh like this PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model isn't the right way to present a new lens. I'd prefer a unique colour rendering like Zeiss has in his lenses and Pentax has in some lenses...another quality that only Pentax has it's the compactness, therefore I don't ask more then minor improvements.
No, not focal length. By "character" I mean the way in which the FA43 renders images, which tends to give it a certain distinctive "look". There are several ingredients which go into that, including its micro-contrast, it's 3D-effect and it's colour signature; and, as I was mentioning, also the particular manner in which it renders bokeh, for both the OOF as well as semi-OOF portions of the picture. My point was that 9 circular blades, while certainly popular today, may possibly change that unique look of the FA43's bokeh, thus affecting the overall rendering character of the lens. This is a matter of concern because one of the key reasons FA LTD fans prize these lenses (31, 43, 77) is for their rendering.
04-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #113

No, not focal length. By "character" I mean the way in which the FA43 renders images, which tends to give it a certain distinctive "look". There are several ingredients which go into that, including its micro-contrast, it's 3D-effect and it's colour signature; and, as I was mentioning, also the particular manner in which it renders bokeh, for both the OOF as well as semi-OOF portions of the picture. My point was that 9 circular blades, while certainly popular today, may possibly change that unique look of the FA43's bokeh, thus affecting the overall rendering character of the lens. This is a matter of concern because one of the key reasons FA LTD fans prize these lenses (31, 43, 77) is for their rendering.
I agree with you, but this not change the fact that a new version of these lenses must change some characteristics other than the designation. And the only spec that I would change is the aperture blades because we all know that Ricoh/Pentax will already of course add the HD or the Aero Bright Coating...it wouldn't have sense commercialize a refreshed lens if they will maintain the same characteristics.

Last edited by Floydjkt; 04-13-2015 at 10:49 AM.
04-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Floydjkt Quote
I agree with you, but this not change the fact that a new version of these lenses must change some characteristics other than the designation. And the only spec that I would change is the aperture blades because we all know that Ricoh/Pentax will already of course add the HD or the Aero Bright Coating...it wouldn't have sense commercialize a refreshed lens if they will maintain the same characteristics.
It is possible to retain the 8 straight blades design of the original, but add WR, DC motor and Quick Shift as improvements/updates. All these will not affect the rendering at all.

Of course, I'm not saying that changing it to 9 circular blades will actually change the bokeh character. That's just a guess of mine. Only Pentax R&D can experiment with that and confirm whether yes or no. But I suspect yes.

In fact, it's also hard to say whether changing to the new coatings would alter the rendering slightly - again, possibly yes. Whether that translates into an improvement or decline in the rendering might be subjective, and hard to predict.

Personally, I would appreciate the WR, DC and QS improvements; but where rendering is affected, I would be concerned, and I trust Pentax R&D would be cautious.
04-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #115

It is possible to retain the 8 straight blades design of the original, but add WR, DC motor and Quick Shift as improvements/updates. All these will not affect the rendering at all.

Of course, I'm not saying that changing it to 9 circular blades will actually change the bokeh character. That's just a guess of mine. Only Pentax R&D can experiment with that and confirm whether yes or no. But I suspect yes.

In fact, it's also hard to say whether changing to the new coatings would alter the rendering slightly - again, possibly yes. Whether that translates into an improvement or decline in the rendering might be subjective, and hard to predict.

Personally, I would appreciate the WR, DC and QS improvements; but where rendering is affected, I would be concerned, and I trust Pentax R&D would be cautious.
My personal thought is that adding the dc motor and the quick shift could also change the lens structure, so few could remain of the original fa lenses . But I'm sure the R&D team will give us an excellent lens, after all compromise is the only way...
04-15-2015, 07:05 AM   #116
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
200 2.8 >1:1 macro
400 2.8
100mm f 1.4 macro 1:1

no more cr/pf on any * lenses!
04-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Really excellent 28

Doesn't have to be fast, but does have to be/has to have:
  • really sharp
  • very low distortion
  • excellent aberrations control
  • compact, or at least not long
  • focus scale!!!!!! even if AF (and it doesn't have to have AF)
04-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
200 2.8 >1:1 macro
400 2.8
100mm f 1.4 macro 1:1

no more cr/pf on any * lenses!
They will cost between $6000 and $12000. And you don't want to lift them.

Most of the wishes are totally unrealistic and most of those wanting them won't pay what they cost.

It reminds me of the time when the legendary FA* 200/4 macro was released. I think I paid around $1000-$1200 for it. Lots of whining that it was too expensive. Now it goes for up to $3800 used.

Interesting to see that some of those claiming that the FF body must be cheap or else no one will buy it, are the ones with lens wishes that cost a fortune should they be released.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 04-15-2015 at 02:23 PM.
04-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

Most of the wishes are totally unrealistic and most of those wanting them won't pay what they cost.

It reminds me of the time when the legendary FA* 200/4 macro was released. I think I paid around $1000-$1200 for it. Lots of whining that it was too expensive. Now it goes for up to $3800 used.

Interesting to see that some of those claiming that the FF body must be cheap or else no one will buy it, are the ones with lens wishes that cost a fortune should they be released.

Yes. Some of the exotic glass people seem to be requesting is pretty funny. Ricoh needs to hit the bread & butter focal lengths in normal apertures.
04-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

LOL! People should go over to the DPR Sony E/FE mount forum----first it was lots of complaints about there being no lenses. Now there are lenses, some quite good ones (Zeiss), but now the complaints are that they are too expensive (and too large).