Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The k3ii is out... so what about the FF..

Checking the new K3ii features perhaps we can tell some few features that the new FF could/will have... Sensor Shift technology + Astrotracer maybe???..

im still wondering why they didnt include NFC and build in WiFi in a body that is supposed to be superior than the KS2.. is not a really important feature but.. coudl be nice for some users.. So will the FF follow the same path as the K3ii or the camera will be with this 2 features buildin...

What new interesting features we could see??... if the AF-C of the K3ii is as good as it is supposed to, everything points that the FF will have a really really nice AF, accurate and fast.

SR improvement is also nice, and will surely be great to see how it behaves with the FF sensor.

04-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would expect the FF to support super resolution, and it's probably also big enough to warrant housing a GPS module though I wouldn't expect all future models to include GPS.

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
im still wondering why they didnt include NFC and build in WiFi in a body that is supposed to be superior than the KS2.. is not a really important feature but.. coudl be nice for some users.. So will the FF follow the same path as the K3ii or the camera will be with this 2 features buildin...
I mean it's just a mark II, not an entirely new design. I'm sure that Wi-Fi will be added in the K-3's true replacement. As for the screen, I would be perfectly fine with only having it on the mid-range model, as this makes sense from a marketing point of view (forcing advanced users to get 2 bodies) and allows the K-3 to be made a bit more durable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #3

Considering that the battery life of the K3 is around 700 shots CIPA, adding WiFi or NFC will certainly lower it. Unless Pentax/Ricoh is willing to change the L-190 standard, or come up with a replacement compatible with the L-190 battery, WiFi/NFC wouldn't be beneficial to the system overall. The same thing applies to touchscreen, by the way.
04-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #4

Seems to give the indiction what the Pentax FF will be like:

- New SR with the new sensor shifting tech to improve IQ.
- No pop up flash, Wifi, GPS

One thing I'm not sure they will do is the tilting screen though, I like it, some don't prefer it. And I hope Ricoh make a new AF module for the Pentax FF, this is where Pentax falls behind the most, and also high max flash sync speed, higher than the existing 1/180 sec, everyone is doing 1/250 sec and even 1/320 sec.

Al in all I'm sure the Pentax FF will sure do well in build and image quality, if they want to make a splash, they need to be more innovative than just the new sensor shifting tech , and keep their traditional strength. I'm not a fan of high MP like Canon 5DSR, so 50 MP sensor is not my concern, if they put a sensor that has decent resolution, excellent DR and high ISO plus the improvements and innovation it will be a winner.

I'm looking forward to it.

04-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bottom line, it will rock. Can't wait to try out built-in pixel-shift + astro-tracer on a more sensitive sensor with a lens like the new Samyang 135.
04-23-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by halfaura Quote
Considering that the battery life of the K3 is around 700 shots CIPA, adding WiFi or NFC will certainly lower it. Unless Pentax/Ricoh is willing to change the L-190 standard, or come up with a replacement compatible with the L-190 battery, WiFi/NFC wouldn't be beneficial to the system overall. The same thing applies to touchscreen, by the way.
Pfff... Who even cares if those features halve the battery life? Spray&pray-photographers?
04-23-2015, 12:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Pfff... Who even cares if those features halve the battery life? Spray&pray-photographers?
Or any outdoor photographer (who is the Pentax target).

Ok it could be deactivated in menu for those...

---------- Post added 04-23-15 at 10:38 AM ----------

This K3II is finally a good evolution of the K-3 with a very decent pricing. This don't give much clue about the next FF.

The three main things that will drive the FF features are not shown in this release :
- new sensor
- new processing engine
- AF coverage (less important)
the processing engine and sensor rate will be decisive for 4k video, ...

I think that the new panning detection in SR is a step to re-enable physical SR in video, not sure it will be in the K3II but might be in the FF.

Choosing to get rid of the flash can be seen as a regression in the K3II but if Pentax is able to provide a new wireless Flash control system with P-TTL or TTL, it could be a great step up for the Pentax system. I'm not confident to have this in the first FF but I feel that's the way to go.

I'm convinced that the FF needs and will have a tilting screen (645Z like). Touchscreen is a useless gadget, I hope it will not be added as a marketing tool.

I still think that the firmwares could be improved :
- some menu like the intervalometer could allow way more option (bulb ramp time lapse, 1s or 1.5s intervals, ...)
- to allow simple things like choosing between SDM and screw-drive in some lenses (it's supported by hardware by not by software, why ?)
- to allow fine af tunning and lens calibration (like variable AF correction for zooms), which will also protect/improve Pentax reputation in optics
==> this probably means that the body has to allow an access to the mounted lens firmware and a possibility to flash it for updates. Something like the SIgma dock, but mounted on the camera it will largely outperform it.

I would be happy to see a scripted user mode enabling to use the metering differently or the develop some new specific features like for example:
- an on event triggering taking picture when something enter in focus for some selected af points
- a focus stacking script that would be able to increment the AF of a % of the current DOF automatically
... a such feature would have a lot of possibilities but I don't expect to see it soon.

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 04-23-2015 at 01:13 AM.
04-23-2015, 03:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would guess that Pentax full frame will include a tilting screen (like on the 645Z), super resolution, GPS/Astro tracer, and probably wi fi. It almost definitely will not have a pop up flash (I know that is a deal killer for some).

I think the reason the K3 II didn't include tilting screen or wi fi had to do with the fact that they kept the body basically the same with minor modifications and they were limited as a result with what they could add. Full frame they are starting from the ground up and so they have a lot more options.
04-23-2015, 04:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would guess that Pentax full frame will include a tilting screen (like on the 645Z), super resolution, GPS/Astro tracer, and probably wi fi. It almost definitely will not have a pop up flash (I know that is a deal killer for some).

I think the reason the K3 II didn't include tilting screen or wi fi had to do with the fact that they kept the body basically the same with minor modifications and they were limited as a result with what they could add. Full frame they are starting from the ground up and so they have a lot more options.
Yes, this does look a bit like a full cycle of renewal every +/- 3 years and an intermediate update using the same shell and production settings every 18 months or so, a la K5. In addition, the original K3's shutter is rated for some astronomical amount of actuations. There isn't really much danger of anyone wearing it out in a hurry Had Ricoh had to start again with the K3II and redesign and retool, etc, chances are they could never have got the camera in for the pretty competitive price on offer. It's smart planning, I think. The only really substantial change that could be made to any of these cameras from Pentax, Nikon et al is a completely new and far better-performing sensor but that's an industry-wide move that depends on Sony or another sensor-maker. That would be a very good opportunity for a completely new K3 successor
04-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Probably people like myself who cover Equine events and average 550-800 shots a day, and all of that is sniper style, no machine gunning involved
04-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfworx Quote
Probably people like myself who cover Equine events and average 550-800 shots a day, and all of that is sniper style, no machine gunning involved
800 shots at say 8 hours for an event. That's about 1,5 shots a second. That's not a single shot sniper gun sir.
04-23-2015, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

8hrs = 28800s
04-23-2015, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

So now people are inventing terms to denigrate others styles of shooting.... that's disappointing. The little birds I shoot, are so quick your finger can't respond fast enough to catch it. So based on my experience , if you go out and snipe, you'd be wasting your time. You'll be 1/10 of second late and miss your pose. To get the shots I get, you anticipate the pose you want, press burst mode, and hope you get the shot you want. Sniping will get you a 100% failure rate. It's not using burst mode that makes you something special. That's an un-necessary doctrine. It's knowing what mode to use when. A lot of the guys I shoot with have paid for the fastest burst speeds possible, and it's not because they are less photographically gifted than others. It's because they understand what they need for what they shoot.

That being said, the obvious solution to the battery drain faster would be a battery grip. Why complain about a problem there's an easy solution for?

As for those who think they are really good at sniping images. I suggest a few sessions, where you snipe with burst mode on, for 3 to 5 frame on each exposure. You have to be really good and ruthless thinning out the images you don't want, but it is surprising how often the first image in your sequence, which is the only one you'd have if you aren't shooting burst mode, isn't the best, or for action shots, isn't even useful, because of motion blur or something else. The thing is, sniping and holding onto a 1.5 second burst for 5 exposures or so in no way limits your style. But it can get you some images you wouldn't otherwise have. There is simply no IQ downside. The downside is the time in your selection and PP.
04-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

More like 1.5 shots a minute
04-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #15

I would like to see increased battery capacity on the FF. A batery grip should only add to what already should be in abundance, IMHO.