Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #76
Pentaxian
MJSfoto1956's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,287
It's pretty simple: a crop-sensor with a top lens (e.g. Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8) may out-perform (or at worst, just equal) the IQ of a full-frame-sensor with a kit lens (e.g. D800 + 24-85mm). Cost about the same in total too. Might even weigh about the same. The real decision is what glass you are willing to purchase in the future and whether you want two bodies or just one. Many people opt for two bodies: a crop sensor as a backup and a full-frame sensor.

Michael

06-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #77
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bolton, next to a large park
Posts: 124
I had the same original question, if I wait for the FF, what benefits will it give me over a K3?

I shoot fast moving, and stationary cars both outside and indoors for magazines, and my current K20D + 55-300mm & 18-55mm kit lens are doing ok, but lacking, especially in gloomy weather.

Like a few others have mentioned, I'm only thinking about the FF because Pentax have announced it and I want the best. However, what I've taken from this thread is that I should probably 'settle' for a K3 (which is way better than my K20), and invest the rest in some better lenses.
06-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,769
QuoteOriginally posted by Damian.T Quote
I had the same original question, if I wait for the FF, what benefits will it give me over a K3?

I shoot fast moving, and stationary cars both outside and indoors for magazines, and my current K20D + 55-300mm & 18-55mm kit lens are doing ok, but lacking, especially in gloomy weather.

Like a few others have mentioned, I'm only thinking about the FF because Pentax have announced it and I want the best. However, what I've taken from this thread is that I should probably 'settle' for a K3 (which is way better than my K20), and invest the rest in some better lenses.
It really depends on what you shoot and your final output. Money is probably better spent in premium glass for most people. Theoretically a lens with a smaller image circle requires a smaller and lighter focusing group and is easier to design a faster focusing lens for action. One reason Olympus AF is so fast is that they are moving a lot less weight with 1/4 the image circle. For fast sports in good light The Olympus EM-1 and Panasonic GH-4 are both very fast with a lot of really good glass. For magazine work they are more than enough. Actually the 4/3 ratio works better for most magazine work than 3:2 of APS-C.

If magazine work is your goal, the K-3 is more camera than you need. The print quality of magazines is not that demanding and the K-3 is more than capable of printing a 2 page spread. If I was you I would be more interested in the D-FA* glass that was coming out. A D-FA* 24-70 F/2.8 becomes an excellent 36-105mm on the K-3. I'm not a zoom shooter, but this is probably the first D-FA* lens I will buy.

Unless the new FF has "ground breaking" AF I would spend the money on glass first and pick up a K-3 cheap.
06-07-2015, 01:21 AM   #79
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bolton, next to a large park
Posts: 124
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It really depends on what you shoot and your final output. Money is probably better spent in premium glass for most people. Theoretically a lens with a smaller image circle requires a smaller and lighter focusing group and is easier to design a faster focusing lens for action. One reason Olympus AF is so fast is that they are moving a lot less weight with 1/4 the image circle. For fast sports in good light The Olympus EM-1 and Panasonic GH-4 are both very fast with a lot of really good glass. For magazine work they are more than enough. Actually the 4/3 ratio works better for most magazine work than 3:2 of APS-C.

If magazine work is your goal, the K-3 is more camera than you need. The print quality of magazines is not that demanding and the K-3 is more than capable of printing a 2 page spread. If I was you I would be more interested in the D-FA* glass that was coming out. A D-FA* 24-70 F/2.8 becomes an excellent 36-105mm on the K-3. I'm not a zoom shooter, but this is probably the first D-FA* lens I will buy.

Unless the new FF has "ground breaking" AF I would spend the money on glass first and pick up a K-3 cheap.
Yup, I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there Winder, cheers...

06-07-2015, 05:30 AM   #80
Site Supporter
markku55's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hanko, Finland
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
It's pretty simple: a crop-sensor with a top lens (e.g. Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8) may out-perform (or at worst, just equal) the IQ of a full-frame-sensor with a kit lens (e.g. D800 + 24-85mm). Cost about the same in total too. Might even weigh about the same. The real decision is what glass you are willing to purchase in the future and whether you want two bodies or just one. Many people opt for two bodies: a crop sensor as a backup and a full-frame sensor.

Michael
You are comparing quite different lenses, 18-35 is comparable with 27-52,5mm in FF, so an 24-85 in FF is far more usefull in my opinnion.
06-07-2015, 05:37 AM   #81
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,558
QuoteOriginally posted by Damian.T Quote
I had the same original question, if I wait for the FF, what benefits will it give me over a K3?

I shoot fast moving, and stationary cars both outside and indoors for magazines, and my current K20D + 55-300mm & 18-55mm kit lens are doing ok, but lacking, especially in gloomy weather.

Like a few others have mentioned, I'm only thinking about the FF because Pentax have announced it and I want the best. However, what I've taken from this thread is that I should probably 'settle' for a K3 (which is way better than my K20), and invest the rest in some better lenses.
If you can shoot fast moving cars with a K-20D and 55-300, using a K-3 is going to be major upgrade. That being said, you also might want to wait and see if the Pentax FF has managed to bump up the speed of AF on it's FF. Last time I went out with my K20D, the speed of AF, and slow burst rate really surprised me. A K-3 will just get you a lot more images.
06-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #82
Pentaxian
MJSfoto1956's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,287
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
You are comparing quite different lenses, 18-35 is comparable with 27-52,5mm in FF, so an 24-85 in FF is far more usefull in my opinnion.
Great, you see my point then! I use a two body system: Nikon D800 + 24-85mm VR and a Pentax K-3 + DA* 60-250mm. Both use 67mm filters. Both provide about the same IQ. And with the Nikon I also occasionally mount the stellar 14-24mm which has no equal in the Pentax world. I also share a common flash system between the two bodies.

YMMV

Michael
06-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #83
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,558
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Great, you see my point then! I use a two body system: Nikon D800 + 24-85mm VR and a Pentax K-3 + DA* 60-250mm. Both use 67mm filters. Both provide about the same IQ. And with the Nikon I also occasionally mount the stellar 14-24mm which has no equal in the Pentax world. I also share a common flash system between the two bodies.

YMMV

Michael
That's defintiely an issue for me with the new Pentax body. I still want my K-3 for wildlife, but Pentax doesn't have a 14-24 equivalent for landscape...

06-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #84
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
You are comparing quite different lenses, 18-35 is comparable with 27-52,5mm in FF, so an 24-85 in FF is far more usefull in my opinnion.
Even ignoring the capability of the lenses, I refute the major premise. Under most circumstances I prefer the 24-85+FF to the FA31mm + APS-C.

Never used the Sigma 18-35 but from pictures I've seen I prefer the FA31mm to the Sigma.
06-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #85
Site Supporter
markku55's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hanko, Finland
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Even ignoring the capability of the lenses, I refute the major premise. Under most circumstances I prefer the 24-85+FF to the FA31mm + APS-C.

Never used the Sigma 18-35 but from pictures I've seen I prefer the FA31mm to the Sigma.
I might gave a wrong idea, so to be straight, I fully agree what you said. In my case I can't agree only 27-28mm length in FF scale.
I normally use 16 - 45mm Pentax with my K30, 24-105 Minolta with my Sony A900, 16-50mm Sony on my NEX 5n and Panasonic 12-32mm in my Olympus E-PL5.
The touch screen on Sony 5n and Olympus E-PL5 is really great to use, also the tilting displays are something I want to have for my next DSLR body, that's why the K3 or K3II are not for me, but neither the K-S2 and only because of the non touch screen, but today the closest solution for me from Pentax lineup.
06-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #86
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
I might gave a wrong idea, so to be straight, I fully agree what you said. In my case I can't agree only 27-28mm length in FF scale.
I normally use 16 - 45mm Pentax with my K30, 24-105 Minolta with my Sony A900, 16-50mm Sony on my NEX 5n and Panasonic 12-32mm in my Olympus E-PL5.
The touch screen on Sony 5n and Olympus E-PL5 is really great to use, also the tilting displays are something I want to have for my next DSLR body, that's why the K3 or K3II are not for me, but neither the K-S2 and only because of the non touch screen, but today the closest solution for me from Pentax lineup.
It may be for you.. but if I want to have touch screen feature, I want something light (eg. cell phone camera) so I can use both thumbs. Sure, no camera is made to suit everyone...
06-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #87
Senior Member
Omestes's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 207
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
The touch screen on Sony 5n and Olympus E-PL5 is really great to use, also the tilting displays are something I want to have for my next DSLR body, that's why the K3 or K3II are not for me, but neither the K-S2 and only because of the non touch screen, but today the closest solution for me from Pentax lineup.
I've got an EP-3 and EM5-II with touch screens, and a variety of "normal" Pentax DSLRs without... And they both have their place, but I don't think that touch would benefit DSLRs in the slightest. The camera gets unsteady the second you need to use touch. Oddly, when I switched to the EM5-II, with build in EVF, I pretty much stopped using the touch screen, and instead use it like a traditional SLR. I'm much steadier, and framing is much easier with your eye to the finder, and finger on the shutter. With the greater heft of a DSLR, a touch screen would be harder to use than just shooting the "normal" way. In my opinion at least.
06-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #88
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,369
QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
After the announcement of FF, I got lucky and managed to save up enough to cover upgrading to FF from my aging K5 in anticipation of its release. But with the announcement of the K3ii, I'm wondering if FF is actually the way to go. For the price of FF I could upgrade both my main camera (the K5), and my backup kit (thinking of switching from M43 to Fuji). I'm not 100% FF would be that much of an upgrade over the K3ii. I might also be naive.

Going from the K5, how big of a difference would there actually be from the K3ii to full frame? What would FF get me that the K3ii couldn't? Is it really that big of a deal?


I'm going straight into the 645z and straight into retirement forget the FF...
06-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #89
Senior Member
Omestes's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 207
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I'm going straight into the 645z and straight into retirement forget the FF...
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I'm going straight into the 645z and straight into retirement forget the FF...
If you want to pay the difference, I'm right there with you.
06-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #90
Senior Member
johnha's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancashire, UK
Posts: 250
It's not about the IQ, there's much more to it than that. I haven't bothered to read this thread and this might have already been mentioned, but if you've shot FF you'll be able to answer the question easily. If you haven't, buy a film camera and maybe a lens, shoot & print a roll of film and for $40-50 you'll know whether you want to spend a huge amount on an FF body & lenses or not.

I'm looking forward to the FF being released, the only question I'm thinking about is whether my budget is better spent on film for my LX & P67 or the FF?

Last edited by johnha; 06-08-2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: LX
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, announcement, beer, camera, computer, ff, fish, full-frame, fun, gear, ii, images, k-3, k3ii, k5, lenses, lightroom, pentax, pixel, resolution, ricoh, rod, rods, scene, tool, upgrade
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax-F 35-70mm worth the upgrade? nyonya Pentax K-30 & K-50 29 09-06-2014 09:15 PM
Is it worth the upgrade from the A 50 f/1.7 to f/1.4? Fat Albert Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 03-14-2014 03:31 AM
K30 Firmware upgrade - Is it worth buying a 32gb card? Steven Chain Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 02-11-2013 04:56 PM
Is it worth trying to fix a kr or upgrade? Kricket Pentax K-r 13 07-15-2011 10:29 PM
k10D Is an upgrade worth it? emptydam Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 11-11-2007 04:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top