Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think that the FF body is the K-3II with a larger sensor (obviously) and an articulated screen. Thats it.
This in order to make the FF body "affordable".

Actually, if the price is right, that would be fine with me. Would be good if we could use PS with bracketing and the auto focus was better. I will stop there.

04-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I don't think the K-3 II sheds any light.
Not from a pop up flash at any rate... heh... sorry, that was a hanging softball, ahahahahahahah!

Kidding aside, I'm a believer that the K3 II is a trial run for some new tech that will be in the FF. In order for that to actually be of benefit, then the product has to have time to get into peoples hands and Ricoh get feedback, and make use of the feedback. No way that is happening any sooner than the predicted October, and I wouldn't want it to either. I don't want a half baked FF, and I can wait without wetting myself. To be honest, I am amazed that they think they can implement useful feedback as soon as that and get into final production.

And that brings us to the logical conclusion about leaks and news... that they can't leak something when they haven't made their mind up yet about including all the features, if some of those are to be based on K3 II feedback.

For those worried about Ricoh loosing their shirts on the new FF zooms with no FF ready yet, take heart, there is already reports floating around saying that the first production run FF zooms are already SOLD OUT. Same as happened with the 645Z. They are experiencing an embarrassment of riches. They were bold enough to pull the field of dreams, "If we build it, they will come", and I think people are having a hard time believing their own eyes, but Ricoh is out there killing it in the upper Amat/Pro marketplace. This is a really good thing for us!

I have a possible cure for those in the "are we there yet" crowd. Go surf the other brand forums, and look at them moan and groan over banding, flare, internal reflections, oil spots, shutter dust, lack of DR, too many pixels, not enough pixels, retro styling, no APSC pro level successor, new models without better DR just more pixels, EVF stutter, clunky menus, no Adobe raw support, no DXO raw support, etc etc etc.

It is a great time to be a Ricoh/Pentax owner!

Eric
04-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think that the FF body is the K-3II with a larger sensor (obviously) and an articulated screen...
... and a small nozzle just inside the lens mount to spray pixie dust on every lens you mount!
04-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
To be honest, I am amazed that they think they can implement useful feedback as soon as that and get into final production.

Eric
I don't think it is about feedback but spreading technology and circuitry design over more than one body. I find it unlikely that the FF camera is a stand alone product technology wise, with a unique (for Pentax) set of features. I believe they will do the same trick with FF as they have done with all their MF bodies; share design with volume products.
So I think the K-3II is pretty much what you can expect from the FF body. That will make one the most compelling cameras in its class...

05-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I gotta pee!!!!!
05-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A 36mp full frame with pixel-shift high def could be killer.
05-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I gotta pee!!!!!

I do too, but I think it is more age related than anything else.

As stated above a 36 MP sensor with pixel shift would be a killer unit for a long time.

05-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I do too, but I think it is more age related than anything else.

As stated above a 36 MP sensor with pixel shift would be a killer unit for a long time.
That actually is a very scary thought ! Somebody smack me and wake me up before I wet myself....lol

---------- Post added 05-02-15 at 01:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I'm a believer that the K3 II is a trial run for some new tech that will be in the FF. In order for that to actually be of benefit, then the product has to have time to get into peoples hands and Ricoh get feedback, and make use of the feedback.... if some of those are to be based on K3 II feedback.
Eric
Are you serious ? So in essence Im being used as Ricoh's Lab Rat....but a Paying one in the FF development closet......Lovely.....lol.
05-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote

---------- Post added 05-02-15 at 01:21 PM ----------

Are you serious ? So in essence Im being used as Ricoh's Lab Rat....but a Paying one in the FF development closet......Lovely.....lol.

All consumers are lab rats. All manufacturers use a certain market level for testing and feedback before implementing in other market segments. Heck, the poor NASA astronauts might call themselves lab rats for a lot of household products you benefit from... many factory race car drivers get product and engine development that trickles down to consumer products. What is so scary or insulting about a manufacturer testing market acceptance of a feature on a dash-2 model camera? I certainly didn't mean waiting for feedback about failures... just peoples reactions to product features once they are in the consumers hands. I really don't have a problem with that.

Now, if you want to talk about cheapening a product, like happened to cars in the 70's and 80's... that does offend me. Usually, manufacturer A try's a one piece hood without springs and a wiper grill, gets away with it and saves money, Manufacturer B follows suit, and we are all stuck with it. Manufacturer A switches to cheap contact cemented in headliners, gets away with it and lowers prices, Manufacturer B follows suit. Well, you get the idea... phooey.

But that is not what we are talking about. This is a whole different animal. They are more equivalent to the car example above in the opposite direction, like : hey, let's give them a turbo charger and see how they like it, oh, and let's throw in a free NAV system, and we'll just remove the sunroof, most people don't use it and it doesn't really accomplish much anyways.

Eric