Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

What about a manual focus FF?

I would love a manual focus DSLR with a proper aperture sensor, and a split focus screen with a nice, huge prism.

Forget all those funky exposure and metering modes. All I need is the shutter speed dial, and an A mode. Oh, and I can also live without the LCD screen.

I wonder, am I alone?

05-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
I wonder, am I alone?
I think a lot of people are dreaming about one, but IMO that ship has sailed. Nikon took out video mode in the Df and everyone moaned about that, imagine not having AE/AF...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2015, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

No, you're not. There's nothing I'd love more than a digital back for my MX. However, I do think it''s too niche of
a product to ever see serious investment capital. Best we can hope for is a creative third party/DIY solution. Several
have tried but so far nothing has quite come to market.
05-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A digital back for my MXs? (I have two that I use regularly.) I'd buy one in a heartbeat. However, I'm not sure how many like us are out there.

05-10-2015, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You aren't alone. I'd kill (not literally) for a digital K1000- only shoots in RAW format
05-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Do a search for 'digital film' or 'digital cartridge'. Makes for interesting reading and will leave you thinking,
"Yeah! that looks great, so why isn't it happening.".
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Forum Member

Kinda like a Leica M Edition 60.
It just shoots RAW and there is no LCD.

05-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by januko Quote
Kinda like a Leica M Edition 60.
It just shoots RAW and there is no LCD.
A Pentax camera like this would probably also cost more than USD 10000.

Last edited by Fogel70; 05-10-2015 at 08:41 PM.
05-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When Pentax first started in digital, I hoped a digital back for a new, updated LX was possible.....it`s a recurring dream.....I`d never want anything else...right?
05-10-2015, 08:56 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
A Pentax camera like this would probably also cost more than USD 10000.
Or buy the K-50 for $326, turn off the LCD and set the little lever on the left side of the lens mount to MF. This feature is built into every Pentax DSLR.
05-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Or buy the K-50 for $326, turn off the LCD and set the little lever on the left side of the lens mount to MF. This feature is built into every Pentax DSLR.
The K-50 is a great buy but I am still dreaming. The LX had interchangeable finders, real TTL flash metering, a range of mechanical shutter speeds, and that incredible low light sensitivity instead of amped up digital noise. However, turning off the LCD would make every DSLR user a better photographer forcing them to think before pressing the shutter release.
05-11-2015, 12:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that the problem with a camera like this is that mostly it will aim to the oldest photographers.. not many new comers or young photographers will be attractive to it, ofcourse some might will.. but might not be general public.

But.. it could be nice.
05-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #13
Forum Member

The Fujifilm X-T1 kinda looks the LX or any old Pentax cameras.

Why not Pentax make a full frame DSLR that is not as thick as the K cameras? You know, as thin as the old cameras.

I think that is only a dream. Maybe it is because of the electronics stuff. Am I right?
05-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
I would love a manual focus DSLR with a proper aperture sensor, and a split focus screen with a nice, huge prism.

Forget all those funky exposure and metering modes. All I need is the shutter speed dial, and an A mode. Oh, and I can also live without the LCD screen.

I wonder, am I alone?
No, you're surely not alone. This weekend I took my trusty old K1000 for a spin. It was a long time since I last did that and boy does the photography differ from fully automatic shooting. It forces the user to take much more care in each and every picture. I need to do that to "reset" every once in a while. And it is surely NOT the same as leaving a K-3 or whatever on full manual. It is a completely different experience. Developing the film afterwards made me feel the magic again.

That said, I couldn't help but feel the similarity in the feeling with shooting with my A7r. The A7r has a low FPS and I often mount legacy or off-brand lenses on it, so no autofocus. In that sense I have to put more care in taking the pictures. And the form factor of the camera itself feels similar. Much more similar then to todays DSLR's anyway.

Last edited by Clavius; 05-11-2015 at 02:12 AM.
05-11-2015, 02:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
What he said.