Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm quite certain a Ricoh rep said in an interview that they had discussed a K1000 type of camera and dismissed the idea. It's not going to happen.

The closest approximation would be a Sony FF Mirrorless with K-mount adapter. It has an EVF, but a good one, and focus aids are available in the EVF (Focus Peaking and Magnification).

05-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I'm not sure how many like us are out there.
As long as it can fit the LXs too... count me in.
05-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
I would love a manual focus DSLR with a proper aperture sensor, and a split focus screen with a nice, huge prism.

Forget all those funky exposure and metering modes. All I need is the shutter speed dial, and an A mode. Oh, and I can also live without the LCD screen.

I wonder, am I alone?
Leica made a camera like that.
05-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
What about a manual focus FF?
My FF actually will be, because of my "Ladies".

05-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Closest DSLR will be a old 5D, though it can mostly take M42 lenses w/o hassle as well as a few other brands.
For K-mount, the mirror has to be modified (shaved), else the aperture lever and lever guard has to be removed.
I've even seen suggestions to replace the mirror with a 100% reflective one which incapacitates AF, but gives all that brightness to the VF.
A precision EES/EEG focusing screen is needed too.
A nice simple camera to use for MF (imo; I had one)

The A7 series is probably the best thing there is out there for MF lenses.
Really a boom if you frequent non-Pentax (also non Sony) forums.
Takes all lenses with the right adapter.
The pro being the magnification at 2 button presses (duh... not well thought out imo... ), for very accurate focusing.
Peaking works well for f2-f2.8 lenses with higher contrasts (Pentax/Zeiss works well here right from wide open, not as much for Leica (natural contrast) and some old low contrast lenses).
The EVF is as accurate w/o focusing aids as the EES screen I had on my 5D though... (food for thought)

Other than a stylistic (ie. retro) camera, sold as a 'lifestyle' product, I really can't see any advantage over just using an A7 for MF lenses.
05-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #36

Original Poster
It would be totally different experience to use a manual lens on a proper manual focus body. First, the viewfinder is bigger and brighter because the half mirror AF sensor saps light and there's a proper focusing aid on the focus screen. Anyone who has used a MF lens on a MF film body and on a AF DSLR body can attest to that. No matter how advanced the camera, manual focusing on an electronic screen will never be as enjoyable as optical focusing through the lens.

Let's face the reality: the Pentax M 50mm f1.7 will never be the everyday lens it once was. No one will have it slapped on their DSLR full time for a vacation or a family event. Honestly, I only mate mine with my DSLR for the occasional "wow, it's very sharp!" test shots. Otherwise, I'll mainly use it on my Super Program where it feels more at home.

On another note, just compare the thickness of the user manual of the MX and the K-x ;D

Does advanced electronics really make our lives easier?

There's a certain satisfaction to see with one's own eyes in the viewfinder when the image comes perfectly in focus and the metering is spot on (with some human wisdom). The purpose manual focus camera is not about taking 100 pictures of the same thing at one time. Does a Leica guy goes machine gun mode? I think not. It's about the simple joys of photography: Compose, focus, meter, click! (from the user manual of a MF camera)
05-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The A7 series is probably the best thing there is out there for MF lenses. Really a boom if you frequent non-Pentax (also non Sony) forums. Takes all lenses with the right adapter. The pro being the magnification at 2 button presses (duh... not well thought out imo... ), for very accurate focusing. Peaking works well for f2-f2.8 lenses with higher contrasts (Pentax/Zeiss works well here right from wide open, not as much for Leica (natural contrast) and some old low contrast lenses). The EVF is as accurate w/o focusing aids as the EES screen I had on my 5D though... (food for thought) Other than a stylistic (ie. retro) camera, sold as a 'lifestyle' product, I really can't see any advantage over just using an A7 for MF lenses.
My thoughts exactly..first gen a7 even has the shutter button in the correct place.

05-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #38
Pentaxian

It would be totally different experience to use a manual lens on a proper manual focus body. First, the viewfinder is bigger and brighter because the half mirror AF sensor saps light and there's a proper focusing aid on the focus screen. Anyone who has used a MF lens on a MF film body and on a AF DSLR body can attest to that. No matter how advanced the camera, manual focusing on an electronic screen will never be as enjoyable as optical focusing through the lens.

Let's face the reality: the Pentax M 50mm f1.7 will never be the everyday lens it once was. No one will have it slapped on their DSLR full time for a vacation or a family event. Honestly, I only mate mine with my DSLR for the occasional "wow, it's very sharp!" test shots. Otherwise, I'll mainly use it on my Super Program where it feels more at home.

On another note, just compare the thickness of the user manual of the MX and the K-x ;D

Does advanced electronics really make our lives easier?

There's a certain satisfaction to see with one's own eyes in the viewfinder when the image comes perfectly in focus and the metering is spot on (with some human wisdom). The purpose manual focus camera is not about taking 100 pictures of the same thing at one time. Does a Leica guy goes machine gun mode? I think not. It's about the simple joys of photography: Compose, focus, meter, click! (from the user manual of a MF camera)
The thing about a lot of the cameras we have now is that it allows us a choice.
A choice between automation or little.

I just shot a wedding for a relative last weekend.
I opted for less stress and the possibility of off camera flash work with one hand holding the flash, so I went for AF lenses.
CDAF+PDAF, the works....

In March this year, I went with some friends on a photo trip in Bangkok.
It was a 'me time' so I chose the more engaging use of MF lenses.
Basically Av and M mode and manual focus.

The cameras nowadays allow me to have a different choice on separate occasions.

If you have not tried the EES/EEG focusing screens, do give it a try (also avaliable for Pentax cameras via Katzeye and FocusingScreen)
Far better than any split prism I've used.

As for the OVF being better than the EVF for manual focusing.
Does not seem so for me and a couple of friends who have added an A7 to use our Pentax lenses.
My brother (who has a fortune in A* lenses) was so impressed with the EVF for MF use that he bought one the next day after he tried mine.

I'm not here to bash Pentax.
If you are familiar with my postings here.

However, I give a nod to where it deserves a nod , and for MF lenses, the A7 gets that nod for me.

YMMV as all this is preference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
My thoughts exactly..first gen a7 even has the shutter button in the correct place.

I don't go about promoting Sony, so mine's covered up

You know what, I put my ME Super and MZ-5n next to the A7 with Pentax lenses and the only significant difference in size is that the film cameras have a protruding mirror box before it forms into the lens mount.
Since no one makes a box shaped adapter, there are only tubular looking ones for the A7.
Thats it in fact.
Its only that aesthetic of a tubular adapter that makes it look 'longish' on the A7, in size, they are so darn near.

At one point, I actually thought of engraving a plastic tag with 'PENTAX' and pasting it where the SONY logo is.
05-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #39
Pentaxian

It,s funny I keep both my Sony and my pentaxes covered. Keeps people guessing and It looks better without the logo. Black etape
05-12-2015, 12:36 AM   #40
Veteran Member

This topic comes along every once in a while and the concept always quickly gets labelled as a "niche" product. But if it would be niche then why does this topic keep comming up? Why then is Sony introducing its 5th iteration of this niche product this month? How can they even do that even if they have so little native AF lenses? Probably because enough people are adapting other lenses to use it on them.
05-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #41

Original Poster
I might stand corrected when I have a chance to encounter the Sony A7.

But the point of this wishful thinking thread is just to say how cool a dedicated MF DSLR would be. Not another OVF vs EVF thread. I guess we have seen plenty of that. It might be something some people want, but not economical enough for manufacturers to produce.

And while we're still at it, I'll have a MF DSLR that looks like a scaled down 645 (The original boxy one) in my dreams tonight. It's my dream and I don't care what anyone is going to say about it
05-12-2015, 03:38 AM   #42
Pentaxian

The A7 should not be mentioned in this discussion, as it's not a manual focus camera - on the contrary, it supports full automation.

Getting back to the original subject, don't you think a new lens line-up would be required, too? Focus rings with proper friction and long focus travel.
But, that's another reason why it won't be done.
05-12-2015, 04:37 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would have bought a "digital MX" or LX, but like stated above, I use all my SMC-M lenses on my "Sontax" a7, with the LCD turned off, and find it does all I need. Nice to use my 20mm as a real ultra-wide again on digital.
05-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The A7 should not be mentioned in this discussion, as it's not a manual focus camera - on the contrary, it supports full automation.
It is manual focus only with a Pentax lens mounted.
05-12-2015, 04:59 AM   #45
Veteran Member

This whole discussion seems rather silly.

What is the business case for Ricoh to create a totally stone-age digital FF camera?
How would one pitch it to the board of Ricoh?