Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2015, 05:14 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This whole discussion seems rather silly.

What is the business case for Ricoh to create a totally stone-age digital FF camera?
How would one pitch it to the board of Ricoh?
You can sell a digital Spotmatic to at least some people, and a digital back or digital insert to some more even, but you can't sell a non-functional heap of plastic resembling a future HDSLR under a glass box.

05-12-2015, 05:23 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

What is the business case for Ricoh to create a totally stone-age digital FF camera?
I don't think the A7 part of the discussion is silly. At least it exists as a viable choice. But I agree with you, the K1000D is navel-gazing. It does not exist and never will. The idea has been rejected, as told to us by Ricoh.

I have a Lens Turbo for my a6000. I had to try one, given all my FF-compatible Pentax primes, but it's really hard to justify using it. You get nearly FF FOV and about 2/3 stop more light with the Turbo, but IQ deteriorates somewhat compared to a normal adapter, with reduced contrast, soft corners, greater tendency to flare and clunkier handling. It's more of a novelty than a photographic tool.
05-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It is manual focus only with a Pentax lens mounted.
That's irrelevant. The premise of this thread is that a fully-automated camera on manual mode is not the desired solution - instead, people were asking for a true manual, feature stripped camera.

And FTR, any Pentax K-mount DSLR is manual focus even with autofocus lenses, if you switch them to MF.
05-12-2015, 05:54 AM   #49
Veteran Member

The bit where they have to explain that the users wouldn't be buying any lenses could be tricky

05-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #50
Veteran Member

To who is Sony selling all those A7(x) cameras? To people who invest completely in the Sony FE lens lineup? Or people that have really nice lenses and find the A7 range a good way to use them on? Sorry, but most Pentaxians that I know indeed do have a lot of nice lenses and no real way to use them on FF. The A7 range has already proven that the idea of a manual digital FF camera isn't niche at all. Pentax is just to late... Again.
05-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And FTR, any Pentax K-mount DSLR is manual focus even with autofocus lenses, if you switch them to MF.
But they are APS-C, which means your images are cropped. The coming Pentax FF will be double the current price of an A7, and much larger. An A7 is a viable alternative to the pie-in-the-sky K1000D.

FTR, Pentax DSLR's are manual exposure if you use them in M-mode. Of course "fully manual" shooters use the Green button, which is P-mode that lets you pretend you're shooting manual exposures.
05-12-2015, 06:40 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When in the mood I take an SV, one of two KX'es, an MX or an LX for a walk.

The rest of the time I can mount an SMC lens to a MZ-S, Q, Q7, K10D, K-01 or K-3 and have a similar experience. I expect to add the K-ff to the latter list.

05-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
But they are APS-C, which means your images are cropped. The coming Pentax FF will be double the current price of an A7, and much larger. An A7 is a viable alternative to the pie-in-the-sky K1000D.
That's just an excuse to fill every section of this forum with Sony praise. Adam created an entire section for the non-Pentax cameras, please keep it there.
As it is, you're ignoring the requirements as stated in the OP and add things that would match a Sony. Again, if you are willing to select the features you want on a modern camera - as opposed to requiring a feature stripped camera, which is the subject of this thread - the future Pentax FF DSLR will do.

There's no such thing as a K1000D, and the A7 definitely isn't one.
05-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #54
Veteran Member

That's just an excuse to fill every section of this forum with Sony praise.
Exaggerate much? My main camera is a K-3. The only camera I would trade it for, from any manufacturer, is a K-3 II.

There's no such thing as a K1000D
And never will be, which is my point. I'm done with this Unicorn thread.
05-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #55
Pentaxian

What I meant was that I often heard the same idea, used just to have an excuse to mention Sony on an unrelated section or Pentax-specific forum (not limited to this one). Not that you are filling the forum with such things. Sony is cheaper, Sony is smaller, Sony is a manual focus, no automation, why-can't-Pentax-do-it-it's-oh-so-late DSLR everywhere. Or Canikon, on the K-3II news thread there is much touting of the cheaper 6D. Or Fuji - someone opened a thread on the other forum to complain about how Pentax should learn from Fuji and (among other things) keep the on-board flash on their cameras. That someone has an X-T1, guess what feature is missing from that camera...

I agree, there won't be such a thing - we're way past those times. At most we can expect a fake-ish K1000-lookalike, something like a more stripped Df; or just a retro styled modern camera. At a premium.
Or - I'll concede this point - a fully modern MILC with a vague retro-ish styling, which people would pretend to be old school and feature stripped

Last edited by Kunzite; 05-12-2015 at 07:37 AM.
05-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #56
Pentaxian

That's just an excuse to fill every section of this forum with Sony praise. Adam created an entire section for the non-Pentax cameras, please keep it there. As it is, you're ignoring the requirements as stated in the OP and add things that would match a Sony. Again, if you are willing to select the features you want on a modern camera - as opposed to requiring a feature stripped camera, which is the subject of this thread - the future Pentax FF DSLR will do. There's no such thing as a K1000D, and the A7 definitely isn't one.
No rule against Praising the ease of using Pentax lenses on other Cameras. I think Im a Better Pentax Fan now that I can freely use and appreciate the entire history of pentax lenses on My A7.
Pentax should make a Camera like the A7..Ill buy it for sure.
05-12-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #57
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The A7 range has already proven that the idea of a manual digital FF camera isn't niche at all. Pentax is just to late... Again.
canikon doesn't get it either... these companies keep expecting the market to pay a lot more money for ovf cameras, that don't allow for accurate manual focusing, don't have wysiwg viewfinders, etc.

the problem for sony is that there are still a lot of fossils out there, particularly in the nikon camp, who think that spray 'n pray autofocus is the only way that a camera can and should be used.

fortunately companies like zeiss and samyang are turning out manual-only lenses, which proves that there is a market for it.
05-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
canikon doesn't get it either... these companies keep expecting the market to pay a lot more money for ovf cameras, that don't allow for accurate manual focusing, don't have wysiwg viewfinders, etc.

the problem for sony is that there are still a lot of fossils out there, particularly in the nikon camp, who think that spray 'n pray autofocus is the only way that a camera can and should be used.

fortunately companies like zeiss and samyang are turning out manual-only lenses, which proves that there is a market for it.
amen!
05-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
No rule against Praising the ease of using Pentax lenses on other Cameras. I think Im a Better Pentax Fan now that I can freely use and appreciate the entire history of pentax lenses on My A7.
Pentax should make a Camera like the A7..Ill buy it for sure.
Then, please recommend a non-Pentax camera which is:
QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
a manual focus DSLR with a proper aperture sensor, and a split focus screen with a nice, huge prism.

Forget all those funky exposure and metering modes. All I need is the shutter speed dial, and an A mode. Oh, and I can also live without the LCD screen.
As I said, this is simply forcing a certain camera on a thread which is about something else.

A camera like the A7, I'm afraid you wouldn't buy it - you would get the A7 instead. Much cheaper (because it's a Sony, and because it was replaced a while ago).
05-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Then, please recommend a non-Pentax camera which is:

As I said, this is simply forcing a certain camera on a thread which is about something else.

A camera like the A7, I'm afraid you wouldn't buy it - you would get the A7 instead. Much cheaper (because it's a Sony, and because it was replaced a while ago).
No skin off my bones if you can't respect my opinion.