Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2015, 05:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crazy way-out theory on the FF (just for fun).

If I recall correctly, it's been quite a while since Ricoh released a single-lens reflex camera branded with its own name.

Theory: the "Pentax" Full-Frame DSLR will be that camera.

Cameras branded "Pentax" will continue to be APS-C (and they will be the best damn APS-C cameras money can buy, Canikon fanboys/fangirls notwithstanding).

The new Ricoh whatever-they-call-it will, in the interest of market share (and Ricoh's financial bottom line) continue to retain full Pentax lens cross-compatibility.

Note that this is by my own admission a completely wacky theory with no substantial evidence to support it, and I fully expect to be proved WRONG.

05-12-2015, 05:13 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
05-12-2015, 05:29 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

stop before you go to far!

But in seriousness, the mock-up model said "Pentax" on the front... so i think you've already been disproven. Although that would be hilarious if Ricoh did that, and then in that way there will never be a Pentax full frame.
05-12-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

or they permenantly mount the FA 31, 43 or 77 to it, so you have to decide what you want...:-)
and thats the reason why they stopped the sales of FA ltd...:-)

05-12-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

With fanboys, a rose by any other name smells like rotten cabbage.

Regards!
05-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That would be hillarious!
05-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pathologically crazy, Doc.

05-12-2015, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
stop before you go to far!

But in seriousness, the mock-up model said "Pentax" on the front... so i think you've already been disproven. Although that would be hilarious if Ricoh did that, and then in that way there will never be a Pentax full frame.
Remember that infamous scene in Return of the Jedi:

"Obi-wan, you told me Darth Vader murdered my father..."

Blah Blah Blah.

"So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
05-12-2015, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The full frame will have interchangeable lenses and interchangeable brand name on the front e-ink display (like kindle).
The user will be able to claim to comply to various groups of photographers by selecting the brand name displayed at the front.

Via a brand option in the menu, the following brands can be chosen:
- Pentax (Default)
- Ricoh
- Canon
- Nikon
- Sony

If you select Canon, high iso banding will be added by a banding image processor between the sensor and the SD cards.
If you select Nikon, the dust on sensor or oil on sensor simulator will be randomly activated, even if you clean the sensor, oil and dust will come back. The camera will display 96 AF points, most of them being virtually useless, indeed a very effective marketing feature.
If you select Pentax, there might be a mirror flop simulation, but not sure yet, Ricoh marketing are still studying the market for that feature.
If you select Ricoh, you may end up with a 150 to 450 degree wide angle image when using the DFA 150-450 ! A unique technology inherited from Richo labs.
If you select Sony, the mirror may be auto ejected out of its location, since Sony cameras are allergic to mirrors.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-12-2015 at 06:33 AM.
05-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nah, Pentax already has brand recognition in the SLR world, while Ricoh was most famous for the GR. Pentax is still relevant with DSLR cameras, which Ricoh hasn't offered, so it makes more sense to keep this branding. Pentax for DSLR, Ricoh for compacts and high-end compacts.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
and interchangeable brand name on the front e-ink display (like kindle). The user will be able to claim to comply to various groups of photographers by selecting the brand name displayed at the front.
haha that would be perfect!
05-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote

But in seriousness, the mock-up model said "Pentax" on the front... so i think you've already been disproven.
The K3 prototypes said "Pentax" on the back below the LCD screen. The production models say "Ricoh". As Ricoh always states the specifications and appearance of prototypes are subject to change up to the point of actual production.

I wondered what the reaction would be if Ricoh announced there would be no Pentax FF but rather it would be branded as Ricoh (an not necessarily with K-mount but support for K-mount with adapter). I thought about starting a thread before Ricoh announced that FF was on the way. Once Pentax FF was announced I saw no point.
05-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I've often wondered why Sony or Sigma didn't just license the K-mount for a body. I'd definitely look at a camera from those Companies. So why would I care if it said Ricoh? I'm just looking for something that works with what I've got.

Last edited by normhead; 05-12-2015 at 07:26 AM.
05-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The K3 prototypes said "Pentax" on the back below the LCD screen. The production models say "Ricoh". As Ricoh always states the specifications and appearance of prototypes are subject to change up to the point of actual production.

I wondered what the reaction would be if Ricoh announced there would be no Pentax FF but rather it would be branded as Ricoh (an not necessarily with K-mount but support for K-mount with adapter). I thought about starting a thread before Ricoh announced that FF was on the way. Once Pentax FF was announced I saw no point.
There is no brand identification whatsoever on the back of the K-3II. I suggest that is indicative of the direction Ricoh will take with the FF.
05-12-2015, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are all very good ideas, but IMO, you are missing the obvious new feature:

On the Ricoh/Pentax FF, the built-in flash will be replaced by a pop-up Theta II. There will be a user-selectable lens function: A. the usual front lens; B. Theta II; C. Both, with a built-in image integration engine. An optional wireless link to a new Ricoh 3-D printer will be introduced later through a firmware update.

The pop-up Theta will carry the Ricoh brand, while the main camera body will feature 'PENTAX'.

hehe.
05-12-2015, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
the pop-up theta will carry the ricoh brand, while the main camera body will feature 'pentax'.
frankencamera
Attached Images