Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Have I strayed into the Sony forum by mistake? Only one problem with Sony - it's the name on the camera!
I'm not a corporate loyalist by any means. I don't care what corporate brand is stamped on the body. The Sony lets me use my 31mm in ways Ricoh currently can't. I'm keeping my K-mount glass for at least another year to see what Ricoh does, but I'm not married to a brand.

05-14-2015, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think, from a marketing stand point, Pentax should release something from time to time to keep the interest high....

... and to give hope to people who are waiting with a lot of temptation from Sony, etc..

There is nothing from the announcement of FF till this rumor from Aus, you need to keep your audience engaged and build up the hype.

like the new star wars movie.... they release trailer that reveal a little bit more than the one before and build up the hype nicely, and keep people talking about it for weeks.
05-14-2015, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm not a corporate loyalist by any means. I don't care what corporate brand is stamped on the body. The Sony lets me use my 31mm in ways Ricoh currently can't. I'm keeping my K-mount glass for at least another year to see what Ricoh does, but I'm not married to a brand.
Nor am I brand obsessed: I have Pentax K-3, K-5 IIs and two Q7s, a Nikon D810 and Df, a Panasonic GX7, an Olympus EM-5, and a Canon 50D, all of which I enjoy using regularly. But for some reason, I just cannot bring myself to want a Sony camera: that's just me. But the point I was really making is that I come to this forum to discuss Pentax/Ricoh cameras and lenses. I really don't care for irrelevant comparisons with lenses that will not fit a K-mount. Others may think differently, of course.
05-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

The POST TITLE should read 'Ship' or 'Release' rather than 'Announce'

The FF has already been announced.

AFAICT the FF is expected to ship late October / early November (I'm not subject to any agreements of any kind, so don't get excited).

Using that as a starting point, CRK's FB post would mean they will have something discreet to post about in-stock and shipping dates on the FF earlier in the fall - perhaps even late sumer - i.e. closer to the planned ship date, which is November.

Should Pentax not ship until 2016 it will mean they have held the bodies for a technology change from a component supplier so they release th FF with the latest and greatest components. I don't expect at this late date that will happen.

05-14-2015, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Nor am I brand obsessed: I have Pentax K-3, K-5 IIs and two Q7s, a Nikon D810 and Df, a Panasonic GX7, an Olympus EM-5, and a Canon 50D, all of which I enjoy using regularly. But for some reason, I just cannot bring myself to want a Sony camera: that's just me. But the point I was really making is that I come to this forum to discuss Pentax/Ricoh cameras and lenses. I really don't care for irrelevant comparisons with lenses that will not fit a K-mount. Others may think differently, of course.
But you have no problem with a Sony sensor? Fujitsu image processor?

We were discussing Ricoh cameras and how they will compare with the competition and what other brands are doing. Ricoh is not operating in a vacuum. There are a lot of people using the Sony A7 with Pentax glass. The 31mm performs really well on my A7II.
05-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #21
Pentaxian

like the above said... Pentax uses Sony sensor, and I see no reason why we can discuss sony ff here as well.
05-14-2015, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

But you have no problem with a Sony sensor? Fujitsu image processor?

We were discussing Ricoh cameras and how they will compare with the competition and what other brands are doing. Ricoh is not operating in a vacuum. There are a lot of people using the Sony A7 with Pentax glass. The 31mm performs really well on my A7II.
I read your posts and enjoy them, but the constant drumbeat of Sony on every thread from so many posters simply gets tiresome. Sony, and MILC's in general, aren't the answer to every situation for every user.

We get it. I think we'd all just enjoy a thread without the constant proselytizing.
05-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...CRK's FB post would mean they will have something discreet to post about in-stock and shipping dates on the FF
That makes sense. As you say, the FF announcement itself is not news. The next 'real' news should be about the location of the launch party , and of course shipping dates.

Shipping date information would, I guess, normally start to trickle out to distributors well before launch, and before the Xmas period etc so that that distributors can make their plans for marketing, inventory etc.

05-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
like the above said... Pentax uses Sony sensor, and I see no reason why we can discuss sony ff here as well.
Because the thread's name is "Pentax Full Frame DSLR Camera to be Announced in November". And the subsection is called "Pentax Full Frame". And the section is called "Pentax Cameras".
05-14-2015, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I read your posts and enjoy them, but the constant drumbeat of Sony on every thread from so many posters simply gets tiresome. Sony, and MILC's in general, aren't the answer to every situation for every user.

We get it. I think we'd all just enjoy a thread without the constant proselytizing.

I didn't say Sony was an answer. I still have my Pentax gear and I use it for applications where it provides me the better tools.

I talk about what I'm using and what I have experience with. If I had a D810 I would be talking about Nikon and how it stacks up to Ricoh. The A7II lets me use my K-mount glass on a FF frame. I'm finding a lot of K-mount people are using A7 bodies. That is probably why you see so much Sony talk. Its a pretty easy transition if you have old MF K-mount glass. I almost bought an K 85mm F/1.8 just to use on my A7II.

If Ricoh had a new FF on the market I would be happy to be talking about that instead. I'm just as tired of the speculation about the Ricoh FF as you are of the Sony, but the difference is I can use the Sony FF today. I can put my 31mm on a FF digital body and go walking around town. If/when the Ricoh FF hits the market I will take a good look at it and I hope it is really, really good. I wish Ricoh had designed the FE line and it had the Pentax menus, quiet shutter, controls, DNG support, and build quality. I have no brand loyalty. If the new FF meets my needs better than the Sony, then I will sell my Sony gear to a fanboy and buy a new Ricoh.
05-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand exactly what you are saying. I'm curious about the a7 cameras myself and I really don't like MILC's at all. I received (finally) a K85 today to use with film cameras but I will really have to rearrange things to buy the FF.

I just get really tired of reading about Sony on threads where I want to read about Pentax. It feels as bad as a few years ago when you could wager on how many posts would go past before FF was brought up - on threads about everything.

It just makes people want to impolitely tell posters to go write on the Forum specifically dedicated to other manufacturers cameras, and that's not good either. OTOH I wouldn't mind readng about a7's vs. potential Pentax FF on a thread or in a Forum expressly designed for that purpose.

At least it isn't squirrels
05-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I didn't say Sony was an answer. I still have my Pentax gear and I use it for applications where it provides me the better tools.

I talk about what I'm using and what I have experience with. If I had a D810 I would be talking about Nikon and how it stacks up to Ricoh. The A7II lets me use my K-mount glass on a FF frame. I'm finding a lot of K-mount people are using A7 bodies. That is probably why you see so much Sony talk. Its a pretty easy transition if you have old MF K-mount glass. I almost bought an K 85mm F/1.8 just to use on my A7II.

If Ricoh had a new FF on the market I would be happy to be talking about that instead. I'm just as tired of the speculation about the Ricoh FF as you are of the Sony, but the difference is I can use the Sony FF today. I can put my 31mm on a FF digital body and go walking around town. If/when the Ricoh FF hits the market I will take a good look at it and I hope it is really, really good. I wish Ricoh had designed the FE line and it had the Pentax menus, quiet shutter, controls, DNG support, and build quality. I have no brand loyalty. If the new FF meets my needs better than the Sony, then I will sell my Sony gear to a fanboy and buy a new Ricoh.
Well said. Oddly enough, i find myself occasionally mentioning Pentax features on Sony forums and Sony features on Pentax forums. No one mfr has all the good ideas. I speak of what i know from experiences as Winder says. Owning equipment from more than one maker has its advantages in providing a broader perspective. And thats not a bad thing, If someone wants to ban me from a discussion forum because i mention a different brand - go for it. Internet discussion forums are a dime a dozen. Ideas and facts are what is important to me - i have no fondness or use for blind loyalty.

I would mention that buying manual radio triggers and flashes, like Cactus and Yongnuo, allows one to use that equipment on on either Sony (later models) or Pentax cameras. thats one tip for those having multiple systems.

Last edited by philbaum; 05-14-2015 at 08:00 PM.
05-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #28

Stay away drom Sony please. Patience please. pentax FF is coming soon.

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 05:15 AM ----------

Then why do u come to a Pentax forum and write about Sony and its stupid range.
05-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

@philbaum The operative word in your Reply is 'occasionally'.
05-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vrweare Quote
Stay away drom Sony please. Patience please. pentax FF is coming soon.

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 05:15 AM ----------

Then why do u come to a Pentax forum and write about Sony and its stupid range.
Because I use multiple brands. Hard concept for you to understand I'm sure, but some people use more than one brand or format of camera.

I'm not sure what you mean by Sony's stupid range. They have a larger range of products than Ricoh.

Why do you care if someone uses Sony or any brand? Do you work for Ricoh marketing? IF/When the Ricoh FF comes out it will have the opportunity to convert people over from Sony, Nikon , or Canon. I don't understand why people take camera brands so personally. Ricoh is late to the game and they have a lot of work to do, but if the product is good enough they don't have anything to worry about from Sony or anyone else.

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 11:16 AM ----------

@philbaum The operative word in your Reply is 'occasionally'.
Not really. When on the Sony forums and people ask what features Sony should add or improve I constantly mention Pentax menus, ergonomics, DNG support, in body RAW processing, and build quality. Because the Sony A7 line is so new and there are so many people there coming from other brands, you don't have the die hard fanboys. People are really, really critical of Sony's implementation of compressed RAW and shutter noise. A new person coming to the Sony forums would think you needed ear plugs to safely operate an A7 camera given the amount of complaining people do about shutter noise. Same with compressed RAW files. To read the forums you would think the images are VGA graphics quality given all the complaints. I have yet to see any negative effects, but I don't push my images with a lot of processing.

I know this is the Pentax forum, but there really isn't much Pentax stuff to talk about. Pentax users have plenty to speculate on. When there is a camera to actually use it will be a different story.

Last edited by Winder; 05-15-2015 at 09:18 AM.