Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
36MP is high resolution and pixel shift is far to limiting for day to day use. Why not add pixel shift to a body with a 59MP sensor?

The D750 and 5DIII cameras hit a sweet spot for a lot of professional photographers. Shooting events like weddings generates a lot of files that have to be processed. 24MP files are not too demanding on decent computer.
I tend to agree... 24 MP on the K-3 has greatly reduced my desire to own a a 36 MP camera. To me the AF and low light capability of the D750 is more desirable than the hi res on a 36 MP camera. Although for landscape, 36 is nice, and 51 is nicer.

05-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But it is likely to be 36MP with pixel shift high resolution. Who needs a 50MP sensor
I like the idea of Pixel Shift, but the tripod limitation is a real constraint as opposed to a higher res capture for me in the field. BIF APSC at 24 (crop) is roughly the same pixel density/pitch as 50mp... For me I like the "res". Lazy I guess. PP is boring for me. Rather do it in the field.
05-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #108
KX5
Forum Member

According to Newcamera, the new Pentax FF will be a Sony 36 MP which sounds great!

Upcoming Pentax Fullframe Camera to Use Sony Sensor « NEW CAMERA
05-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KX5 Quote
According to Newcamera, the new Pentax FF will be a Sony 36 MP which sounds great!

Upcoming Pentax Fullframe Camera to Use Sony Sensor « NEW CAMERA
But is there going to be pixel shifting , to blow the D810 out of the water?

05-30-2015, 02:17 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But is there going to be pixel shifting , to blow the D810 out of the water?
According to SonyAlphaRumors, yes: Pentax will use the Sony FF sensor and High Resolution mode. | sonyalpharumors

Question now is will Pentax come put with this camera first, or will Sony make an appearance with the A7rII to blow some wind out of the sails?

I sure do hope Pentax has the glass to push these kinds of resolutions, I'm totally ignorant of Pentax small format lenses, so I'm not sure what the current state of the lineup is.
05-30-2015, 04:46 AM   #111
Pentaxian

The K-3 is already a higher pixel density than a 36 MP FF would be, and the Pentax glass is holding up just fine. Even my old F 70-210, consumer zoom is improved using a K-3. There's no sign Pentax glass is being stressed.
05-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
According to SonyAlphaRumors, yes: Pentax will use the Sony FF sensor and High Resolution mode. | sonyalpharumors

Question now is will Pentax come put with this camera first, or will Sony make an appearance with the A7rII to blow some wind out of the sails?
Sony wins either way by selling the sensors I think Sony feels comfortable enough with their mirrorless not to feel threatened by DSLR designs. They both, designs, have their uses.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The K-3 is already a higher pixel density than a 36 MP FF would be, and the Pentax glass is holding up just fine. Even my old F 70-210, consumer zoom is improved using a K-3. There's no sign Pentax glass is being stressed.
The only stress my glass is feeling is sometimes spending too much time in the bag

As to your previous comment about the low light capability of the D750: Dxomark doesn't show that much dynamic range difference between the D750, slightly higher, and the D810.

Nikon D810 versus Pentax K-3 versus Nikon D750 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Does anyone have any guesses on the price of the Pentax FF??

05-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #113
mee
Veteran Member

Sure we all have guesses.. and just like The Price is Right.. we most all will be leaving without parting gifts for our guesses... no getting on the stage or spinning the big wheel.

my guess is they are coming in low.. seeing the K-3II price and the general pricing of FF bodies today.. I'm going to say 1800 USD, Bob. It will be a bargain but won't be the most geared FF body out there.
05-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #114
Veteran Member

No one sets pricing without an eye on the competition. The Pentax FF price will likely be in the same ball-park as similar Nikon and Canons. [B$H pricing]

Nikon D7200 US $1196 vs Nikon D750 US $1996 vs Nikon D810 US $2996.

Canon 7D II US $1699 vs Canon 6D US $1399 vs Canon 5D3 US $2499.

So Pentax FF might be:

K-3 II currently US $1096 vs Pentax FF [if 24MP] US $1896 vs Pentax FF [if 36MP] US $2750.
05-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

Does anyone have any guesses on the price of the Pentax FF??
My guess.. something between $2300 and $2500 .. with the lasted Pentax technology (pixel shifting, gps astrotrack, af performance,etc), also great image resolution to match for example the image quality of the D810. It could be a really attractive camera that comes with great spects and not as expensive as the $3k cameras that are around. Something attractive to current Pentax users and perhaps attractive to some others that are looking for a great camera for the right price. I dont know if something higher than $2500 will be THAT attractive, something lower than $2300 might not give great spects.. but.. we'll see.
05-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Guess? 36Mp, but between the D750 and D810 in other spec's, and price (Street).
06-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #117
KX5
Forum Member

Im not totally happy with this update. The new 42 MP sony sensor will be expensive (compared with A7RII around 3500$). For me 36 MP is enough. There is no great difference between 36 and 42 MP. So why to spend more than D810 which is a great value for the moment?
06-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KX5 Quote
Im not totally happy with this update. The new 42 MP sony sensor will be expensive (compared with A7RII around 3500$). For me 36 MP is enough. There is no great difference between 36 and 42 MP. So why to spend more than D810 which is a great value for the moment?
As others have said, its unlikely that the Pentax FF will be as high priced as the Sony.

Shutter-shock is a big issue to me regarding the nominal 36mp cameras. A good friend of mine sold his D800 because of fuzzy pictures - that now appear to be due to shutter shock. Read this quote from the dpr site:

QuoteQuote:
An issue we're becoming acutely more and more aware of as sensor resolutions increase is sources of mirror and shutter-induced shake. It was an issue with the first 36MP full-frame camera, the Nikon D800/E, and particularly so with the Sony a7R. All of these cameras initiate the exposure with a mechanical shutter, with DSLRs like the D800/E and 5DS/R having the additional issue of flipping a mirror out of the way first. When it comes to the mirror, camera manufacturers will typically dial in a bit of delay to allow for vibrations to die out, but even if this delay is 100% effective (our tests would suggest it isn't), a mechanical shutter often still causes some vibration, the effect of which will depend upon your focal length, as well as the duration of the exposure.

Very long or very short exposures typically won't affected, but we've found a whole chunk of shutter speeds, for example from 1/15s all the way to 1/500s, affected deleteriously by shutter shock, and optical image stabilization systems' reactions to such shock, at longer focal lengths on a Sony a7R, Nikon D810, and Canon 5DS.

Nikon's electronic front curtain on the D810, and Canon's use of an electronic first curtain in Live View, aim to mitigate these problems, but are cumbersome. Canon requires you to shoot in live view mode, and in the D810 you have to engage two shutter button presses with a delay in order to take a shot.

What likely made matters particularly worse for the Sony a7R was that the mechanical shutter had to be closed and opened to initiate an exposure, since the sensor is always exposed to light in a mirrorless camera. That's a lot of movement, with the shutter landing with a resounding thud! (literally sounding like it hits the bottom of the body frame) before opening again to initiate the exposure. At least with DSLRs, once the mirror is out of the way, the shutter only has to open (its 'default' position is closed). This shutter actuation was enough to cause significant motion blur in long telephoto shots, and even enough to cause a parasitic interaction with lenses' optical image stabilization systems to yield results such as the one below in our studio scene:
The D810 solution may or may not be a good one. I would expect Pentax to be all over this issue because of the delay in their production of an equivalent camera. - thats a good thing.

In addition, the 42mp sensor is going to be BSI sensor which should improve noise levels at high iso. If none of this is important to you, then buy whatever suits your fancy.
06-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
As others have said, its unlikely that the Pentax FF will be as high priced as the Sony.

Shutter-shock is a big issue to me regarding the nominal 36mp cameras. A good friend of mine sold his D800 because of fuzzy pictures - that now appear to be due to shutter shock. Read this quote from the dpr site:

The D810 solution may or may not be a good one. I would expect Pentax to be all over this issue because of the delay in their production of an equivalent camera. - thats a good thing.

In addition, the 42mp sensor is going to be BSI sensor which should improve noise levels at high iso. If none of this is important to you, then buy whatever suits your fancy.

The D800/e bodies do not provide fuzzy pictures....your buddy must have gotten a dud and not bothered to go the normal route of exchanging it within a return period or just having it repaired under warranty. I've shot them extensively and there's no shutter-shock...hope this helps as any incoming Pentax FF using the Sony sensor will have nothing to be concerned about if the sensor is the same or an evolution of that sensor. Exquisite detail and dynamic range...you guys have a lot to look forward to and enjoy once November rolls around.

Loco
06-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by locophoto2015 Quote
The D800/e bodies do not provide fuzzy pictures....your buddy must have gotten a dud and not bothered to go the normal route of exchanging it within a return period or just having it repaired under warranty. I've shot them extensively and there's no shutter-shock...hope this helps as any incoming Pentax FF using the Sony sensor will have nothing to be concerned about if the sensor is the same or an evolution of that sensor. Exquisite detail and dynamic range...you guys have a lot to look forward to and enjoy once November rolls around.

Loco
Here's an example of sensor shock with 36mp sony sensors:

This picture and the discussion regarding the D800/e is not from my friend but DPR
Opinion: Did Sony just do the impossible?: Digital Photography Review

Thankfully, Nikon and Sony are taking the issue more seriously than you.

Last edited by philbaum; 06-28-2015 at 10:40 PM.