Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Does anyone knows more on the rumored new AF groundbreaking feature on the upcoming FF camera from Pentax/Ricoh?

I did not quite understood google translate...

Link 1

Link 2
Question is, does Pentax know what the groundbreaking feature will be... they keep announcing things for years... like FF camera in 2001

06-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

There was no Ricoh Imaging in 2001. Pentax Corporation had a reason to cancel the MZ-D. Neither Pentax Corporation nor Hoya Corporation announced any other FF since then.
06-12-2015, 12:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I hope they make use of their switchable mirror tech... i.e. that they can electronically adjust how transparent the main mirror will be. That way they can have 100% of the light go to the viewfinder, until you hit the AF button. Then more light than usual goes to the AF sensor, leading to really good AF performance in the darkness.

Hybrid viewfinder would be nice too, I'd like to have a histogram while in OVF mode, using the exposure meter (it is quite high res and RGB after all, and could display info on the actual range of the scene AND mark down what the sensor is able to record in raw and JPEG mode!).

And of course video SR, not ground breaking, but everyone else doing it if they can (Olympus, Sony, ...). Pentax had it first, then removed it, then the competitors got it. Time to add back the feature...

As for the MZ-D... they were going to use a Philips (?) sensor IIRC. Another camera with that sensor came out, a Contax or so? But IIRC it got really bad reviews thanks to poor sensor performance. I imagine Pentax saw the poor sensor performance and realized they shouldn't release such a flawed product. FF sensors were really rare back then, so they may not have had the choice of going elsewhere. It's a shame they didn't turn it into an APS-C camera though...