Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is this "New AF groundbreaking feature" on the new Pentax FF camera rumors?

Does anyone knows more on the rumored new AF groundbreaking feature on the upcoming FF camera from Pentax/Ricoh?

I did not quite understood google translate...

Link 1

Link 2

05-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

At this point, it's just speculation that a certain patent (your first link) could be implemented in the FF DSLR. I'm not aware of any rumor actually hinting at it (though it's a possibility).

The patent itself is about replacing the standard secondary mirror - which reflects light directly to the AF system - with a larger, concave vertical mirror. This should allow a better coverage and improve low light sensitivity. At least that's what I understood from the Google translated text.
05-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It looks like Pentax is going to use a concave mirror behind the main reflex mirror, to focus the light before hitting AF sensor, so that the small AF sensor can see a larger area; and the light on AF sensor should be brighter. -- but isn't the image in the AF sensor even smaller? I would rather to have a smaller, but moire precise focus point in the center, rather than the other direction. I focus and reframe in 90% if time anyway.

the 2nd point is pentax will use a polarized filter to "purify" the light for AF analysis, since light of different wavelength will be bent differently before meeting AF sensor (lens and concave mirror), and sometime can confuse the AF system. narrowing the spectrum of the light being used for AF could in theory improve the accuracy. -- But isn't the filter going to make the light even darker? How is the AF performance under dim condition then?

I believe Ricoh has good answers to these questions.
05-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I believe Ricoh has good answers to these questions.
I would love if Ricoh would respond to this thread! of course anonymously.

05-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Where's forum member kenspo when you need him?! I bet Ricoh reigned him in.
05-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Where's forum member kenspo
And asahi man. We had a good thing going when both were posting here.

Maybe we scared them off with the recent 'no popup flash' meltdown.
05-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hopefully they redesign the AF module from the group up. It's a longshot, but it would be great.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-26-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This has also been discussed in an earlier thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/295417-ricoh-pat...af-system.html

05-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

These patents are not yet on file with the US Patent Office. I doubt Ricoh Imaging would release a camera with these features in the US market without first registering a US patent.

The only recent filings from Ricoh Imaging with the US Patent Office pertaining to mirror mechanisms have to do with the drive and shock absorber mechanisms. The secondary mirror is only mentioned in the context of the drive and bounce mechanisms - nothing to do with autofocus. Sounds like they are addressing frame rate and mirror bounce/flop issues.

If you look at the publishing and filing dates in the US Patents there is a 1-3 year gap between filing/publishing in Japan and the US.

See US Patent #8,979,400 Drive mechanism for movable mirror of camera and #8,894,301 Shock-absorbing mechanism for movable mirror of camera

Ricoh Imaging has a recent US patent on file for a macro lens system with in-lens image stabilization, which I find rather interesting. #9,001,440 Macro lens system
05-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Does anyone knows more on the rumored new AF groundbreaking feature on the upcoming FF camera from Pentax/Ricoh?

I did not quite understood google translate...

Link 1

Link 2
Hopefully it is truly "ground breaking" and its not simply marketing.
05-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I wouldn't expect anything of the FF except a K-3II with bigger sensor...
05-27-2015, 02:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I wouldn't expect anything of the FF except a K-3II with bigger sensor...
I am still hoping on a hybrid viewfinder.

Without that feature the FF pricing should be lower.
05-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
These patents are not yet on file with the US Patent Office. I doubt Ricoh Imaging would release a camera with these features in the US market without first registering a US patent.

The only recent filings from Ricoh Imaging with the US Patent Office pertaining to mirror mechanisms have to do with the drive and shock absorber mechanisms. The secondary mirror is only mentioned in the context of the drive and bounce mechanisms - nothing to do with autofocus. Sounds like they are addressing frame rate and mirror bounce/flop issues.

If you look at the publishing and filing dates in the US Patents there is a 1-3 year gap between filing/publishing in Japan and the US.

See US Patent #8,979,400 Drive mechanism for movable mirror of camera and #8,894,301 Shock-absorbing mechanism for movable mirror of camera

Ricoh Imaging has a recent US patent on file for a macro lens system with in-lens image stabilization, which I find rather interesting. #9,001,440 Macro lens system
It can take a while for a US patent to actually become public.
05-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It can take a while for a US patent to actually become public.
Depending on how much prior art the patent office digs up it can take anywhere from 18 to 36 months for a patent to be granted after publication of the application ... and the application can take 18-24 months for publication. Overall, the whole process can take 3-5 years.
05-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I was looking at the gap between the publish date of the Japanese patent vs the filing date of the US patent. This is from 1-3 years on all the previous patents submitted by Ricoh. I wasn't looking at the time between when the patent became public in Japan vs the time It became public in the US.

If the patent for the curved mirror AF system was just published then by precedent it would be filed in the US until next year at the earliest.