Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yes but pretty bad for space constraints.
Fair enough. But if they can create tiny mirrorless cameras... I used a Sony NEX 5 and my K-5 for a video shoot. The Sony did overheat, the K-5 didn't. And, I might be totally off here, but don't they use similar sensors? A DSLR seems to have more space anyway, though the SR system might limit how the densor may be cooled.

@monochrome: That should work... though I would like a few full time developers at Pentax, to see continuous improvements. In any case I think with this the video people should be happy enough and shut up (and buy the camera).

07-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #212
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Fair enough. But if they can create tiny mirrorless cameras... I used a Sony NEX 5 and my K-5 for a video shoot. The Sony did overheat, the K-5 didn't. And, I might be totally off here, but don't they use similar sensors? A DSLR seems to have more space anyway, though the SR system might limit how the densor may be cooled.

@monochrome: That should work... though I would like a few full time developers at Pentax, to see continuous improvements. In any case I think with this the video people should be happy enough and shut up (and buy the camera).
There's a great big Asian nation right next door to Japan that makes a habit of 'licensing' technology from Western companies and then designing a competitive product using what they learned manufacturing the licensed product.
07-13-2015, 06:33 AM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Mmm my K-7 ran hot pretty quickly. The K-5 is alright but in warm environments it did a couple times. This is NOT something you want.
07-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #214
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's a great big Asian nation right next door to Japan that makes a habit of 'licensing' technology from Western companies and then designing a competitive product using what they learned manufacturing the licensed product.
You mean similar to the 'licensing agreement' between Venus and Infiniti? As a consumer it seems great, but otherwise it is rather terrible news.

07-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #215
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You mean similar to the 'licensing agreement' between Venus and Infiniti? As a consumer it seems great, but otherwise it is rather terrible news.
Yes it is.
07-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why are you worried about that? I have owned a K-01 for several years and it only functions in live view mode and it works fine. The only issue might have is the sensor getting too hot, in which case the camera will shut it down, but it certainly doesn't wear the sensor out.
+1

People who criticized the K-01 for being too bulky a mirrorless camera
overlooked the effectiveness of the heavy body as a heat sink.
07-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm my K-7 ran hot pretty quickly. The K-5 is alright but in warm environments it did a couple times. This is NOT something you want.
My K-5 does get warm, but not too warm. It may get a couple of hot pixels while recording video, but there's no permanent damage, and the camera doesn't turn off because of overheating (at least mine never did...).

The Japanese also started by copying...
07-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #218

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
just keep features for aiding stills. ill trade the video of k5 for focus peaking.
I'll stand corrected on this statement. When I said video I was referring to recording of real time processed data and acknowledge that focus peaking is a feature based on real time processing implementation but not necessarily recording. Let me rephrase it so as to make my point more clear and accurately taken and let me rephrase it this way:

Given two models of K5 both capable of real time processing. The first model is the one that I am currently using, takes stills and record real time. The second is the hypothetical model. It takes stills and focus peaks but does not record real time . Given only these two choices, I'd pick the 2nd. and If there is a third model that does both, of course I'd pick the 3rd model if there is no price difference. I d even pick the one that comes with weather update, mp3 player, calculator, e book, pdf reader etc. if it is for the little sense of security that my camera is feature packed and easier to sell second hand as long as these are for free.
Bottom line is Ricoh should give what market wants if they want to sell. If majority of the market wants full featured hardware, so give it if the market is willing to pay for the extra price it deserves but at least Ricoh should also give options to those who are only willing to pay for the features that they only need for the price they can afford.

07-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
I'll stand corrected on this statement. When I said video I was referring to recording of real time processed data and acknowledge that focus peaking is a feature based on real time processing implementation but not necessarily recording. Let me rephrase it so as to make my point more clear and accurately taken and let me rephrase it this way:

Given two models of K5 both capable of real time processing. The first model is the one that I am currently using, takes stills and record real time. The second is the hypothetical model. It takes stills and focus peaks but does not record real time . Given only these two choices, I'd pick the 2nd. and If there is a third model that does both, of course I'd pick the 3rd model if there is no price difference. I d even pick the one that comes with weather update, mp3 player, calculator, e book, pdf reader etc. if it is for the little sense of security that my camera is feature packed and easier to sell second hand as long as these are for free.
Bottom line is Ricoh should give what market wants if they want to sell. If majority of the market wants full featured hardware, so give it if the market is willing to pay for the extra price it deserves but at least Ricoh should also give options to those who are only willing to pay for the features that they only need for the price they can afford.
Unless the hardware is different, having a software feature or not doesn't make a difference in terms of pricing. Unless you are not developing it in the first place.

For those who can't afford such an expensive camera... just wait for it to get a bit older, the price is sure to drop significantly. Or get a second hand camera. In terms of stills there are not many improvements happening anyway. A 5 year old Pentax is still a very, very capable camera.