Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a cheap ff is what pentax should do

posted this at dpr and i thought it may discuss her
>>>>
Instead of the unbenefit attempt of challenging nikon and cannon in the full frame sector. I suggest releasing a cheap full frame with a price that doesn't exceed 1000$ without the following common features :
1- No video.
2- No flash.
3- No built-in GPS.
4- No WiFi
5- No touch screen
6- No flipped screen
7- No PS.

Just put 24mp sensor inside a body that has Pentax standard and this includes OV.
I think a camera with that price would be the most suitable to compete with the market and will attract many people from other brands. It would also make Pentax sell more lenses.
Moreover, releasing this camera soon will give Pentax the time to release a camera full of new technology. I think Pentax has to go this way before Sony. It would also save time and money for Pentax. Your thoughts ..? Or am I dreaming ..?

06-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

8 - No AF.

06-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
9. No digital filters
10. No HDR
11. No menu's

Just:
a. Mode wheel
b. Exposure comp. wheel
c. ISO wheel
d. Front & back wheel for aperture and exposure
06-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe that something like a digital K1000 has been suggested before. I like the idea, but I'm not sure how big the market would be.

It might be worth it just for the splash it would make, though

06-13-2015, 08:54 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With this logic Leica would sell the cheapest FF camera on the market.
Removing existing features do not make camera less expensive, it only make them more niche, which will limit sales volume and price have to be higher to cover lower sales.
06-13-2015, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

12. no camera. Just a $12 price tag.
06-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Someone on DPmirrorless posted the same message just a bit ago.. I saw it and agree with the other commentators there.. it is a very niche item and I think removing those features isn't going to drop the price that dramatically. If anything, it would be closer to the Nikon Df I suspect, and thus would cost MORE than the 'all-in-one' FF body.. The profitability is in selling a single product to more people than making many individualized products (and thus having to keep up with different product lanes). It is an interesting idea but it won't happen. ever.

06-13-2015, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

9. One card slot
10. No WR
11. No pentaprism, just a penta-mirror
12. No top LCD
13. No SR
14. No battery grip option
15. No magnesium or stainless-steel body parts, just polycarbonate.
16. No hot-shoe
17. No tripod socket
18. No scene modes, HDR option, intervalometer, AF adjustment, catch-in-focus etc
19. No firmware update capability
20. No stupid sensor cleaning, dust removal or pixel mapping features.

That should do it. Very simple and economical to build (maybe in Indonesia or Bangladesh, to save even more money), very affordable, and bound to be a best-seller.
06-13-2015, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

A pinhole and a sony sensor.
06-13-2015, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
12. no camera. Just a $12 price tag.
You get a box too! And maybe a manual. Or that can be reserved for the Prestige Edition.
06-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

21. No EXIF data.
22. No battery.
23. No sensor. Capture images on analog media and let the photographer decide how much they want to spend on resolution/IQ.

Any bottom-of-the-line FF camera Pentax could make, Canon or Nikon has the production capacity to make more at a fraction of the cost. If there really was money to be made there, someone (probably in China) would be doing it.
06-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
posted this at dpr and i thought it may discuss here
>>>>
Instead of the unbenefit attempt of challenging nikon and cannon in the full frame sector. I suggest releasing a cheap full frame with a price that doesn't exceed 1000$ without the following common features :
1- No video.
2- No flash.
3- No built-in GPS.
4- No WiFi
5- No touch screen
6- No flipped screen
7- No PS.
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
8 - No AF.
QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
9. No digital filters
10. No HDR
11. No menu's

Just:
a. Mode wheel
b. Exposure comp. wheel
c. ISO wheel
Just put 24mp sensor inside a body that has Pentax standard and this includes OV.
I think a camera with that price would be the most suitable to compete with the market and will attract many people from other brands. It would also make Pentax sell more lenses.
Moreover, releasing this camera soon will give Pentax the time to release a camera full of new technology. I think Pentax has to go this way before Sony. It would also save time and money for Pentax. Your thoughts ..? Or am I dreaming ..?
This is an interesting concept for a second FF, perhaps developed in parallel with the original one, but in order to regain credibility with the general user community, I believe that Pentax needs a good solid conventional camera. It could distinguish itself from the others by putting fewer bells-and-whistles, rather than more. I'm fairly sure they could put just a basic LCD on it, but in general I'm not sure which features that I consider to be bells-and-whistles are valued by the people who would actually buy this camera (probably not me - I've never spent more than $700 for one); for example, I was surprised by the complaints that arose when the K-3ii didn't include an on-board flash (Pentax needs a small master-capable flash before they make any more cameras without OBF!!) The one thing I am certain about, based on discussions at another photographer forum, is that people prefer minimal use of menus - so they need to be able to do all the basic / important stuff by just touching a button or two.
06-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok guys
almost of the features i mentioned up are not a photography features .they are a mobile featurs.
at any case the 1000$ will be the acceptal and standard price for most mid range camera/full fram or aps/c/.time will tell.
06-13-2015, 09:19 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand. People have all these things that they aren't interested in in a camera and they somehow believe that if those features were left off, that the camera would somehow plummet in price. The problem is (a) a lot of the features that are left off don't really cost that much to put into a camera and (b) you have to sell in the current market place. Leaving all of these features off ends up shrinking the folks interested in a given camera and that, in its turn, actually drives up the price.
06-13-2015, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

posted this at dpr and i thought it may discuss her
>>>>
1- No video.
2- No flash.
3- No built-in GPS.
4- No WiFi
5- No touch screen
6- No flipped screen
7- No PS.

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
8 - No AF.

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
9. No digital filters
10. No HDR
11. No menu's

Just:
a. Mode wheel
b. Exposure comp. wheel
c. ISO wheel
12. No Market.