Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, since it is easier to out a body than a load of lenses, I'd say Pentax situation looks good IMO.
It's nearly two years since we had Thom Hogan saying that the K-3 was the D400 that Nikon should have released (and they still haven't given a hint that they will, from what I can gather). I guess that counts toward recognition Pentax has the best APS-C DSLR, ever.

If Ricoh sees a market for it, they could outdo Sony with a mirrorless 35FF body that can use adapted lenses. I don't believe the people who say that adapters will always be a second-rate system, just because others can't get their manufacturing tolerances correct. First things first, though.

07-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's nearly two years since we had Thom Hogan saying that the K-3 was the D400 that Nikon should have released (and they still haven't given a hint that they will, from what I can gather). I guess that counts toward recognition Pentax has the best APS-C DSLR, ever.

If Ricoh sees a market for it, they could outdo Sony with a mirrorless 35FF body that can use adapted lenses. I don't believe the people who say that adapters will always be a second-rate system, just because others can't get their manufacturing tolerances correct. First things first, though.
The Milbeaut processors Ricoh has access to are rather... slow. Ricoh may also not have access to top notch EVFs. On the other hand Sony and Samsung do have access to those, especially the Samsung processor is a beast. And if you want to have a good live view experience, that is what you need. Lots of processing in very little time.

In terms of body, ergonomics etc. I have no doubt Ricoh/Pentax can beat Sony. But performance... (how little lag there is in the EVF, etc.)
07-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Pentax users in America who became accustomed to Ned Bunnell prices (Hoya prices) will be disappointed by the FF regardless of its feture set and value. It won't be $1000. It won't be $2000. It probably won't be $3000 though.
07-04-2015, 04:36 AM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The Milbeaut processors Ricoh has access to are rather... slow. Ricoh may also not have access to top notch EVFs. On the other hand Sony and Samsung do have access to those, especially the Samsung processor is a beast. And if you want to have a good live view experience, that is what you need. Lots of processing in very little time.

In terms of body, ergonomics etc. I have no doubt Ricoh/Pentax can beat Sony. But performance... (how little lag there is in the EVF, etc.)
I have no doubt you're correct, but it all depends on what Ricoh wants to do. Ricoh can't ignore the trend to EVFs in compact bodies for much longer, and if they want to contract a suitably faster processor, a better EVF or anything else, they can do it because they can leverage access with suppliers, out of proportion to the size of the Pentax part of the operation. The question is probably not so much whether they want to do it, but when. Every new Pentax camera body recently has shown incremental progress in other areas, in parallel with the new features. That's probably the way they'd approach a mirrorless ILC, too.

07-04-2015, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@kadajawi

Pentax has access to anything and everything that Ricoh is willing to pay for. The question will be whether we the Pentax User Base is willing to pay Ricoh to put those components in their Pentax cameras.

That's why my opinion is the FF will be highly spec'ed, use current or near-current components rather than older versions - but will be priced nearer $3,000 than $2,000.
07-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@kadajawi

Pentax has access to anything and everything that Ricoh is willing to pay for. The question will be whether we the Pentax User Base is willing to pay Ricoh to put those components in their Pentax cameras.

That's why my opinion is the FF will be highly spec'ed, use current or near-current components rather than older versions - but will be priced nearer $3,000 than $2,000.
Sort of... the problem I see is that
a) Samsung may decide that instead of giving their crown jewels to other companies for a small fee, it makes more sense to use them to gain marketshare, with the goal of eventually dominating the market, as they have done with TVs, monitors, phones/smartphones, ... Ricoh might not be able to get that tech no matter how much they pay (though fortunately Ricoh may be seen as a not big enough competitor to be deemed threatening).
b) Samsung's processor is quite different from what Pentax is using currently, it is running a smartphone OS (Tizen) instead of whatever OS Pentax is using (because their hardware is so limited). Is Pentax willing to write so much new code? Would Samsung hand over software too?

Similarly with Sony, though they have been more secretive AFAIK in what their OS and processor are.

I do expect the latest Milbeaut, a current-ish sensor, ... but the Milbeaut may still not be particularly fast, at least in comparison with the monster Samsung has created.

A maybe possible alternative could be using a Mediatek or preferably Qualcomm CPU, that has plenty of horse power (Samsung's processor has similar origins), and then either combine it with a Milbeaut for image processing or use the image processor the Qualcomm/Mediatek has (they have become rather powerful, though Samsung beefed theirs up considerably). Video encoding tasks could be done by the processor, stills, acquisition, JPEG rendering etc. by the Milbeaut. Maybe that is possible. But it costs more, consumes more space, perhaps more power, ... and new software will be needed too (IMHO Android might form a decent basis).

I agree with you that such a competitive camera won't come cheap, but that's what is needed. Lower end cameras derived from this can follow later.
07-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by michelec Quote
I think I would add a feature: a viewfinder that does not make me sigh when I hold my ME-Super.
I would like a simple camera that would take my full frame lenses, like an M 1.4 50, A 1.8 20, A 2.8 28.
But ... the one thing I miss the most with my K-r is that I need to get back home to send a picture to my friends.
There should be a simple solution to get pictures inside photo.app on the iPhone and into Android.
Something like a simple Bluetooth connection to make the camera team up with a phone, even if it limited to "share last picture".
With an A7x you can send pictures to you phone. Maybe Pentax will offer that if the wi-fi card doesn't already.

07-04-2015, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
With an A7x you can send pictures to you phone. Maybe Pentax will offer that if the wi-fi card doesn't already.
Yes, you can send pictures to your phone with the Pentax wifi memory card. This will also work with the K-r. The eye-fi wifi card is a cheaper option, but the Pentax card offers remote control for the k-3 and newer cameras.
07-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You still suffer from video confirmation bias. Everything you write is about video processing. Maybe Ricoh just doesn't care about video. That's what cell phones are for.
07-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #190
Veteran Member

You still suffer from video confirmation bias. Everything you write is about video processing. Maybe Ricoh just doesn't care about video. That's what cell phones are for.
A good live view/EVF requires beefy hardware, such as is used for video. After all you want a good video feed.

Also Olympus didn't care for video either... then they saw how many cameras they sold, and how many Panasonic. Within a year they did a 180 and now do care about video quite a bit. If Ricoh wants customers there are worse ways to spend money on than a bit of software for video.

Cell phones? They are also good for stills. I can get some pretty nice shots with my phone. There is a decent amount of dynamic range in the raw files, and the sharpness is very impressive, far ahead of my K-5. Oh, you mean you want better low light performance? Even better dynamic range? Control over depth of field and other settings? Video guys want that too.
07-05-2015, 03:42 AM - 2 Likes   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your Honor, I rest my case.
07-06-2015, 12:40 AM   #192
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree but this is unimportant. The thing is: does the market agree?

I don't expect Ricoh to out an optimized for Video FF. Not now.
They will focus on photo and do it right. They need to.

But they will need to get Video up to standards, for market reasons, IMO.
07-06-2015, 02:27 AM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, we know the new full frame camera will have video. The only question is how good it will be and whether or not Ricoh will use a decent Codec with a good bit rate.

As to the whole processor thing, in order for a full frame Pentax to have at least as good frame rate as the D810, it will need a good processor. So that is necessary for good still photography performance as well.

Video isn't important to me, but it feels like the sort of thing that will be silly to either leave off or, to do poorly. It might sell a few extra cameras if they do it right.
07-06-2015, 04:59 AM   #194
Veteran Member

It's Pentax's loooonnnggg awaited FF DSLR. The first Pentax digital on the FF market. Of which they said that it would appeal to the prosumer customers. Which is rumored to be around 3000 usd. Of which each and every (paid?) critic will be all over it, nitpicking on each and every shortcomming. I hate doing video and almost never do it, but even I recognize that you can't leave it out or do it sloppy in such a move!
07-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #195
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Video isn't important to me, but it feels like the sort of thing that will be silly to either leave off or, to do poorly. It might sell a few extra cameras if they do it right.
The question is, do they have any engineers that understand what good video is and if focusing on that, or do they only see video as a "tickbox" feature? I guess it also depends on what priority the market dep set on video.

As most large sensors up until now have not had very good video capabilities, where a smartphone or a small sensor P&S could get the same or better IQ on video (or a small sensor video camera).
Now with BSI, where it is possible to read out the whole sensor area during video capture even on large sensors, the larger sensors will offer much better IQ in video and possibly be far beyond what any small sensor video capable camera can produce.

The quality ratio between different sensor size will soon be the same in video as for photography, which might make it even more important to put priority on video on large sensor cameras, as it can be a important feature that can sell lots of cameras.