Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Do you reckon [based on the alignment of certain forces/planets] that the FF will include it?
Honestly, I hope not. It's enough that my smart phone knows where I am and leaks data like a colander leaks water. I don't really want my camera tracking my movements, especially if it links up to my smart phone.

Also, for people who photograph things that the general public can not know the locations of (journalists, endangered species photographers, and so forth), it's easier to avoid having a geotag on something if it's not possible in the first place. Since, yes, I do on occasion photograph things that are covered by official use and similar laws, I would be unable to use a camera with a built-in GPS for those assignments.

06-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hopefully when/if they incorporate GPS, it's a dedicated tiny GPS chip pulled out of a smart-phone (with all the latest tech, inc GLONASS support), not just recycling the big GPS hardware parts from the O-GPS1 device.

By the way, does anyone make a SD card with direct GPS support? Is that an option?
My Googling comes up with nothing.

---------- Post added 2015-06-19 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
...it's easier to avoid having a geotag on something if it's not possible in the first place...
It's easy to totally strip out any GPS data recorded in image metadata.

But I get the point. I too have visited locations where a requirement of entry has been the surrender of ALL electronic devices, especially phones. (One would now probably have to hand-over watches, 'fitness bands' etc to the security guards manning the building entrance too).

Last edited by rawr; 06-18-2015 at 08:18 PM.
06-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, I hope not. It's enough that my smart phone knows where I am and leaks data like a colander leaks water. I don't really want my camera tracking my movements, especially if it links up to my smart phone.
Yes, that is scary! I found out this last week that my smartphone is also listening to me...all the time...

Steve
06-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter

There is an on/off button for the GPS. Up to you if you use it or not.

06-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
There is an on/off button for the GPS. Up to you if you use it or not.
My cell phone says the same thing. Even off, the mic on it interferes with some speakerphones. So on-off buttons aren't always trustworthy.
06-19-2015, 02:45 AM   #21
Moderator PEG Judges

I'd be quite happy without either flash or any GPS malarky, just a good FF sensor for me.
06-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The GPS isn't something I use... I use the astrotracer though (with the O-GPS1) and think its awesome

---------- Post added 06-19-15 at 07:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I'm about to spend the money I saved for the FF on a K3ii. The reason for the K3ii when I already have a K3 is the built in GPS and improved AF. If I do get the FF, I would prefer built in GPS. I never use the built in flash, but often use an external flash outdoors.
Indeed, this is the dilemma...

I have a perfectly competent camera in the K-5iis which fulfils my needs well...

However LBA/CBA is horrible and the thought of having the astrotracer built in is awesome

But then you spend for the K-3ii and you might think... I should of spent that money on the FF (especially if it has the astrotracer built-in too)