Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pure speculation... FF to include GPS?

Pure speculation... FF to include GPS?

The new K-3 II includes the GPS/astrotracer... is this a USP that will be limited to it?

Do you reckon [based on the alignment of certain forces/planets] that the FF will include it?

06-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes I so reckon.
06-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes I so reckon.
Though we can always hope and pray otherwise...

Steve
06-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I'd prefer GPS to built-in flash, but I know others feel quite differently.

06-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I sincerely hope that the answer to this question is determined by how the K-3 II is received. If people actually use this feature often, then by all means. But personally I think that GPS is better left to accessories.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I sincerely hope that the answer to this question is determined by how the K-3 II is received. If people actually use this feature often, then by all means. But personally I think that GPS is better left to accessories.
I suspect for a majority that is likely true. But I am in the minority that is jumping for joy about the k-3II and hoping there will be GPS in the FF. Whether it is present in the FF will be a buying decision factor for me. Maybe not the only factor but an important one.

And speaking of the k-3II, how is the review coming? Looking to buy but waiting on some reports. Especially on how well the GPS and astrotracer work and effect on battery life.
06-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have the GPS module, which I use with my K-3 and K-5 IIs, but when it is fitted, I can't use the built-in flash anyway. Moreover, I can't use a proper flashgun on camera either, as the hotshoe is occupied. I suppose having a separate accessory saves using the camera battery, but I would favour it being built into the camera. Having both built-in GPS and flash would be the best solution.
06-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Personally, I'd prefer GPS to built-in flash, but I know others feel quite differently.
I would prefer to leave them both off if it will cut bulk/weight, enhance weather sealing, and reduce the number of things that might break.

Steve

06-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think it is more likely than not.... GPS feature is introduced in k-3 II to ensure its usefulness and will very likely included in the new FF.
06-18-2015, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I suspect for a majority that is likely true. But I am in the minority that is jumping for joy about the k-3II and hoping there will be GPS in the FF. Whether it is present in the FF will be a buying decision factor for me. Maybe not the only factor but an important one.

And speaking of the k-3II, how is the review coming? Looking to buy but waiting on some reports. Especially on how well the GPS and astrotracer work and effect on battery life.
The first unit I received was a lemon- and apparently a small percentage of K-3 II bodies is affected by the same QC issue, which causes the GPS unit to crash the camera. Also, the on/off switch fails to shut those cameras down. Will investigate the battery life, but I don't expect the impact to be major. Functionality is the same as what's offered by the O-GPS1, plus logging.

The pixel shifting function works very well. There should be some examples up on the homepage this weekend.

I'm not too happy with how the flash hardware was left on the prism housing and essentially "sewed shut". Seems like a very lazy way to go about it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm about to spend the money I saved for the FF on a K3ii. The reason for the K3ii when I already have a K3 is the built in GPS and improved AF. If I do get the FF, I would prefer built in GPS. I never use the built in flash, but often use an external flash outdoors.
06-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd rather have the GPS than the built-in flash, especially if it didn't get in the way of taking the picture. I've probably used my built in flash a couple of dozen times. Spending time geotagging my images after taking them off the camera is a pain. I don't always need to, but there've been times when it was specifically required (including one where I was effectively mapping city streets for a photographic record before a number of vacant houses were demolished, so the pics had to match up with their locations in GPS)
06-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As a wildlife photographer GPS would be a huge thing to me.
That being said, it'll be a longtime before I upgrade from my K-30.
06-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Sounds like opinion on GPS over flash might be nearer to 50/50.

I'm in the flash camp myself. The one thing I use it for most is fill flash - usually throwing a diffuser (read tissue) over it. Sure I could carry a flash around but onboard flash usually sufficient for fill flash.
06-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would suspect the FF GPS/OBF issue has already been decided, I'm sure it will have GPS Astrotracer. It might have both which would be great for all. Myself I am waiting for the real upgrade to the K3, I have too much invested in glass like the 60-250 DA* . i could get by without the OBF even though it's nice to have in a pinch. What i am really hoping for is a tilting rear screen which I believe will be on the FF, since the medium format offering already has it.