Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #151
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slip - indeed I shot medium format film (Autocord, Bronica, Haselblad) for decades. But that was years ago, and I'm an old man now and hope to travel a bit lighter...

Jatrax - I print 17 to 24 inches wide. As for the length, that varies from 25 inches to 8 feet (stiched panos of course).

07-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #152
ACG
Forum Member

i have replied to these blogs as a user of the a7r with legacy glass and have always stated that unless you are going to print big (a2 or bigger) there is not much point in changing to a high resolution FF system.
Here are the raw files of two almost identical landscapes. One is taken with the a7r with the pentax k 28 f3.5 and the other with the sony rx100 mk3 (1 inch 20MP sensor). I have printed both at A2 and there is barely any noticeable difference!!

Maybe I should revisit my initial statement!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hyk7t8yyn48nsyc/AADkEhmjPE9z3auwkEHhGEdta?dl=0
08-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #153

FF has a much much bigger ViewFinder, which is much more pleasant to use. I get super thin DOF too with an 85/1.4 lens too. I don't worry too much about noise in ISO 6400 too.

One "big" drawback is the system is big and heavy... and I REALLY miss the in-body SR.

One misconception is with FF, it's "easier" to do wide-angle landscape/architecture. Unless you're prepared to splurge money on and haul something like a Nikon 14-24 2.8, you may get better results on an APS-C system for a LOT less money because of the price/options of ~10mm zooms.

Last edited by buliwyf; 08-06-2015 at 01:25 PM.
08-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #154

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by buliwyf Quote
One "big" drawback is the system is big and heavy... and I REALLY miss the in-body SR.
I don't have the feeling that my A7-II is big and heavy compared to my K-5. Also: I think Sonys SR does work better than Pentax!

QuoteOriginally posted by buliwyf Quote
One misconception is with FF, it's "easier" to do wide-angle landscape/architecture. Unless you're prepared to splurge money on and haul something like a Nikon 14-24 2.8, you may get better results on an APS-C system for a LOT less money because of the price/options of ~10mm zooms.
One can hope for a Tamron 15-30 in K-mount. Also: try a Pentax smc M 20/4 ... it's better on fullframe than I expected, I was overwhelmed: sharper than both of my DA 15 ltds, really nice colors, however, the DA15s flare resistance and starbursts (althout this is a matter of taste I think) as well as the DA15s simple distortion compared to the m20 weavy distortions are nice; I really hope for a small and slow, sharp 20mm lens with stunning image quality (and starbursts) for k-mount. And I think this could be an important part for a ("outdoor" - rugged/WR) system because I guess I am not the only one who likes hiking and wants a lightweight system that just delivers.

08-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #155
ACG
Forum Member

I totally agree with your assessment of the m20 f4.
Really lovely images when paired with the a7r.
I prefer it to the sony fe 16-35 at 20mm focal length.
It is so small and pocketable. Great for landscapes.
I would certainly buy a new model if pentax would oblige!!
08-10-2015, 01:21 AM   #156
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
Also: try a Pentax smc M 20/4 ... it's better on fullframe than I expected, I was overwhelmed: sharper than both of my DA 15 ltds, really nice colors, however, the DA15s flare resistance and starbursts (althout this is a matter of taste I think) as well as the DA15s simple distortion compared to the m20 weavy distortions are nice; I really hope for a small and slow, sharp 20mm lens with stunning image quality (and starbursts) for k-mount. And I think this could be an important part for a ("outdoor" - rugged/WR) system because I guess I am not the only one who likes hiking and wants a lightweight system that just delivers.
M20/4 has quickly become my favorite 20mm (ish)
Certainly as near the DA15ltd in the FF format as can be (except the practically flare immunity of the DA15ltd and the lovely starburst)

A lens made right imo, and I hope Pentax sticks to the philosophy of smallish lenses that are 'right for the purpose'.
Not a spec sheet ego booster lens that are the trend nowadays (good for forum chest thumping but often left at home when the real lugging around is needed)
A practical lens, with the right size, reasonable f-stop for the intended purpose.

The CV21/1.8 Ultron and Canon FD 20/2.8 gets left at home, in preference for the M20.
08-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #157
Pentaxian

going back to the original question: How will FF improve my photography?

I've already made the switch with the D800, and can't wait for the Pentax FF, but at the same time I'm at odd with myself on how much I need a Pentax FF body. There are many other things I would like to see from Pentax first, but I'll get back to that.

So how did FF improve my photography already? Going from the K5 to the D800 was a huge jump. What it did was show me how sloppy I really was and really make me slow down and refine my craft. Better hand holding and body stabilizing techniques for example. 35mm really shows off the small mistakes that APS-C seems to cover up, especially with the shake reduction of the K series vs the D800 and resolution jump for example. So I would say that was a big element.

There are disadvantages and advantages to both kits though, and it's learning your gear and what you can and cannot do with it that will make you a better photographer. I know that with my Pentax I need to compensate when using strobes for the slow flash sync vs my D800. I know with my D800 to keep an eye on my shutter speed because if I go over the x-sync into high-speed when using my Profoto's that my lights will automatically boost to 80% power which may be too much for my settings. I know when using my Pentax and the 55mm f1.4 that I can shoot at f1.8 and keep most of the face in the focus range, but with my D800 I know that if I'm shooting with my 85mm f1.8 I should really stop down to f2.8 to make sure both eyes are in focus.

Gear is only a minor part of the equation as we all know, and we often get too worked up on what the latest and greatest will bring us. Ultimately at the end of the day understanding light and why it does what it does is more important than the gear. If you can learn new and creative ways to manipulate light to your advantage you will find that will improve your photography more than a new camera or lens. The "single in challenge" here in our own forums are a huge help for that.