Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'm hoping it will make my night sky shots less noisy and give me a relatively thinner DOF for portraiture. Well the first point isn't known yet but that is what I hope for.
I am a little wary of edge distortion on FF using wide angle lenses.

07-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the pixie fairies will be much more generous knowing that I am not wasting as much of their dust.
07-01-2015, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Will having a FF sensor improve your photography?
If so, why?
My lenses are going to lens better and my images are going to image better and my ISO is going to ISO noise better and my auto focus is going to AF better and my AF points are going to point better and my prism is going to prism better and I'll be a better photographer because of my camera!

All jokeyness aside, FF helps people who shoot on the wide-to-normal side of the lens range. It will also have modest gains for portrait photographers. But will having a full frame camera make images suddenly better or provide some kind of miraculous photography skill bump? Not at all. The old adage holds up today better than ever: "The most important part of a camera is the 12 inches behind it." If a photographer can't take a photo with an APS-C camera, then he can't take it with a full frame camera, either.
07-01-2015, 05:45 PM - 6 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

The only improvement I think I will see is that I'll spend less time reading FF threads on this forum and more time taking photographs. After a month or so I'll probally no longer gain this benefit, as I return to read threads like "why hasn't my photography improved with FF"

07-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

To me I already know it won't make me take better photos. BUUUUUT..... on those occasions when I 'get it right' I think a FF will allow me to have a better image simply because more real estate=less crowded sensor space...

I don't know if it will truly make a difference but I suspect some.

But it for sure won't help me with lighting, composition, content, or anything else that makes for a good photo.
07-01-2015, 06:19 PM - 5 Likes   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will expect that it will make me smarter and perhaps even gain the ability to fly and read minds.

Steve
07-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will expect that it will make me smarter and perhaps even gain the ability to fly and read minds.

Steve
You mean you can't already do that? Stack the 1.4 tc and the 1.7 af adapter behind a lens and it will give you those abilities with no FF needed.

07-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

haha I can only guess... since I don't have specs.. much less full featured reviews of this camera.

Improved high ISO handling coupled with the larger sensor size means shooting in lower light should be easier/cleaner. TAv mode should be a lot more useful in principle.

Improved resolution (in theory since we don't know specs)

Less money in my pocket ?

oh and maybe easier subject isolation ?
07-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I can only see two main points, first one is most likely and second one is may be or not...
first, better dynamic range and high ISO noise
second, shallow DOF if needed; this however, is debatable, as currently I can mount a FF lens on an APS-C camera. It gives the same DOF except that the image is cropped (and there is no option to un-crop it). So, therefore, it is advantage or may be not.
07-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #25

It won't really change a thing at all. Cameras are just tools and even though they might improve the quality of images, it shouldn't have a significant change on my style.

Although my Vivitar has a hard time mounting on crop cameras due to extra large lever shield, might solve that issue.
07-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I can't think of a thing.
Since it's unlikely I'l even buy one, that makes it even harder, to imagine what it might do for me. Honestly, if it's over $1600 which is about what I'd expect to pay for my next upgrade, which isn't due for another couple of years, it will be completely a non starter. Having shot film, I have some FF images I love, but I hardly ever shoot like that anymore.
07-01-2015, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably not a lot.

Full frame gives the ability to print bigger, but I don't currently max out my K3 when it comes to printing big.

Full frame gives better dynamic range, but once again, I seldom max out my K3 and k5 II since I'm usually shooting landscapes at low iso on a tripod.

Full frame gives better high iso and this is something that will be useful at times.

Full frame gives the ability to shoot with more shallow depth of field. This is a double edged sword and I already struggle enough to maintain enough depth of field with APS-C.

Full frame gives a nicer viewfinder.

In the end, I imagine my photos will be similar. Maybe they'll have a little more color depth and smoother transitions, but I'm not expecting anything amazing.

... but I still want a full frame camera.
07-01-2015, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Full frame will allow me to fit more into my images when shooting with my 77mm or 135mm primes without having to have to back up further away from my subjects. Because sometimes... these annoying things called walls will not allow you to back up any further!
07-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would not directly improve my photography but it would indirectly.

Let me elaborate...
Maybe its just me but every time I get a new toy (like a new lens, accessory etc), I tend to spend a lot more time taking photos + tweaking and tuning. I invariably learn quite a bit in the process.
And something as novel as a new FF body would probably keep me fired up for a few months at least.
07-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The coolest thing the FF has already done: The prices of the Da lenses and cameras have come down! Priceless.