07-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have DA*16-50. Love it.

07-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I think at the end of the day if your a landscape photographer FF IS A MUST.....end of story..
Is there some law that says the more cliches you put into a post, the more likely people are to believe you?

If it's just landscape, you need a 645z.
07-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #63
Site Supporter

After I a spend a whole lot of money on something I'll will have no trouble to justify that the money was well spend. I will find reviews and other stuff that inforce my believe that my purchase was a good thing! I am sure this will work like a charm when and if I buy a full frame camera... After I have convinced my self I need one I am sure all the reasons mentioned in this (and other topics) topic help me stay the course. Thanks for that!
07-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Until I know the capabilities of the particular FF, I do not know how or even whether it will improve my photographs. At the moment, I am doing a lot of birding, and I don't see myself getting lenses which are 1.5 times as long, if such even exist. My hope is that there will be improvements in low light capabilities, and that could be very helpful for dance photos, which is the other thing I shoot a lot. It might or might not improve some studio portraits. For travel, I probably would not even bring it along. My Canon friends with whom I have traveled usually have a 60d or 70d along. I rarely see a friend with a 5d or 6d on a vacation.

07-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I want to experience huge viewfinder nirvana.
I keep hearing this, but folks should prepare to be dissappointed.

No digital FF is going to bring back the huge, bright optical viewfinder of a MX or LX.

We've discussed this before, but in terms of viewfinder brightness, cameras like the old MX didn't have to offer light-robbing stuff like viewfinder overlays for AF points, grid display etc, nor did it require AF sub-mirrors either.

In terms of viewfinder size and coverage, I also think that 95% coverage at 0.97x magnification like the MX had are a thing of the past, unless you go EVF. Even the top of the line Nikon's (eg D810 - 100%/0.7) or Canon's (1Dx - 100%/0.76) don't come close.

Last edited by rawr; 07-02-2015 at 08:09 PM.
07-02-2015, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #66
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You don't get more DOF control with FF.
"An important consideration when choosing systems is to compare available lenses in equivalent terms of the same format. Often, lenses may have the same AOV, but not the same maximum aperture diameter. For example, the Canon 50 / 1.4 has the same AOV as the 30 / 1.4 on 1.6x and the 25 / 1.4 on 4/3, but it's max aperture diameter (50mm / 1.4 = 36mm) is larger than either. To match the aperture diameter of the 50 / 1.4 on FF, we would need a 30 / 0.9 on 1.6x and a 25 / 0.7 on 4/3, neither of which exist."

how do you match the 50/1.4 aov and dof on crop?

You get less DOF at the same aperture at the same angle of view..
that's true, but when the dof doesn't match like that, is it an equivalent comparison:

-The photos all have the same diagonal angle of view (25mm x 2 = 31mm x 1.6 = 33mm x 1.5 = 50mm) and aperture diameter (25mm / 1.4 = 31mm / 1.8 = 33mm / 1.9 = 50mm / 2.8 = 18mm).

-The photos all have the same perspective when taken from the same position.

-The photos all have the same DOF (as well as diffraction softening) when they are taken from the same position with the same focal point and have the same display size.

Equivalence
07-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #67

Let's hope that there is an improvement on the viewfinder. I do find now in the digital era especially with my k5 I really struggle to get a good view and I really rely on my AF auto focus, which half the time really sucks
07-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

No digital FF is going to bring back the huge, bright optical viewfinder of a MX or LX.

We've discussed this before, but in terms of viewfinder brightness, cameras like the old MX didn't have to offer light-robbing stuff like viewfinder overlays for AF points, grid display etc, nor did it require AF sub-mirrors either.

In terms of viewfinder size and coverage, I also think that 95% coverage at 0.97x magnification like the MX had are a thing of the past, unless you go EVF. Even the top of the line Nikon's (eg D810 - 100%/0.7) or Canon's (1Dx - 100%/0.76) don't come close.
Agreed, especially about the finder on the MX, which is my favorite overall.

07-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #69
Site Supporter

I took a glance throw my mother-in-law's Canon T3i viewfinder. Yikes! That's a teeny tiny viewfinder! We're spoiled with our K-bodies. How much sweeter will the viewfinder be in the FF body? Ahhh .... ahhh!
07-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No digital FF is going to bring back the huge, bright optical viewfinder of a MX or LX....
Hmmm... well if this is true, I might as well pick up an A7 or A7ii and be done with it.
07-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #71
Lens Buying Addict

I'll probably enjoy the fishing more, but I probably won't catch any more fish.
07-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
"An important consideration when choosing systems is to compare available lenses in equivalent terms of the same format. Often, lenses may have the same AOV, but not the same maximum aperture diameter. For example, the Canon 50 / 1.4 has the same AOV as the 30 / 1.4 on 1.6x and the 25 / 1.4 on 4/3, but it's max aperture diameter (50mm / 1.4 = 36mm) is larger than either. To match the aperture diameter of the 50 / 1.4 on FF, we would need a 30 / 0.9 on 1.6x and a 25 / 0.7 on 4/3, neither of which exist."

how do you match the 50/1.4 aov and dof on crop?
The point is that if two lenses has different DOF wide open at the same angle of view (and the same maximum aperture), the one with the thinnest DOF does not display more control over DOF. The control is the same, the range is different. What range is most desireable depends on the photographer and is purely subjective.
Equivalence only work for DOF measuring devices wide open at fixed distances, and not even all distances. It has little value for photography. The system is by definition based on exposure and stops, not DOF, and this is whats labeled on the lenses. No. They are not mislabeled. F:4 is equivalent to F:4 cause it yields the same exposure whatever format you use.
People choose different formats because they are not equivalent. There's no right DOF for wide open at a certain F:stop and angle of view,. It is totally subjective. Hence there's no more need to expect an APS lens to behave like an FF lens than vice versa. They don't anyway.

You do not buy a 645z in order for it to be equivalent to your cell phone camera.....

"how do you match the 50/1.4 aov and dof on crop?"

Easily. By buying a 35/1.4 lens (on APS). it has thinner minimum DOF than an 50/1.4 lens on FF due to higher maximum magnification. The calculation use in "equivalence" is oversimplified. DOF is not defined by focal length and aperture alone, but focusing distance and subject magnification as well, and they won't be the same cross format for the same angle of view on their respective formats. This is deliberately left out cause it muddles the water. The example above won't give the same image but who's to say where the photographer want the thin DOF? At 10m or at 0.12m? That's purely subjective.
DOF is subjective and dependent on a number of factors. Exposure isn't. That's why the industry standard equivalence is based on exposure and not DOF (no more than shutterspeed is defined by subject motion).
Different formats are not DOF equivalent and every attempt to make them so is an exercise in futility and only works if ignore the whole picture and the reason why people choose one format over another.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-03-2015 at 02:56 PM.
07-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Hmmm... well if this is true, I might as well pick up an A7 or A7ii and be done with it.
On the bright side , the big pentaprism 'hump' that featured on the Pentax FF mockup is intriguing, and suggests that they might be planning something special for the FF viewfinder. It might be worth waiting to see what they are doing there.

It would certainly be a useful differentiator and selling point, in my opinion, if a new Pentax FF could claim to outdo it's rivals with a bigger, brighter OVF.
07-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Okay, no more excuses...then it will not make any impact on my shots. I just want that thing. First pentax D FF which will come available...after so long wait. There.
07-04-2015, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You don't get more DOF control with FF.
You most certainly do, with the lenses available for each.

Just like aps-c gives you more DOF control than micro 4/3, or 1'', or phone.

---------- Post added 07-04-15 at 03:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Will having a FF sensor improve your photography?
Getting a nicer/faster car doesn't make you a better driver, but it can improve your drive (and increase your fun.)

Going FF doesn't necessarily make you a better photographer, but it can improve your photographs (and increase your fun!)