Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can red Klaus over at photonzone.... but, visible CA is usually light bands around braces and stuff like that. But if you had a single pixe like point of light like laser the CA would be circles of confusion. So with an un-correct lens and a full spectrum light source, red, blue and green would focus at slightly different place. So, say your lens was in focus for the green spectrum, there would be a circle around the single point, the circle of confusion for the red, with a second circle of confusion for the blue around it. the green would be the single point of light you stared with.

I'm going to have to rethink the diffraction thing, I have a copy of Langford's Basic photography here somewhere, I'm prety sure he covers it.

07-16-2015, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm trying that but it doesn't work.....I get a couple of months into it then buy a K50 1.2..... start again an end up with a K85 1.8 then start again..... and end up ....... you get the idea. A real pentaxian wouldn't need to ask.....
Funny thing just happend...... just bought a K30 2.8 ..... so back to $0 in full frame account. Buggar!
07-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shakumar Quote
The type of photography that I do benefits from larger sensor/film size. If it were up to me, I'd be lugging a 8x10 camera everywhere, but that is neither practical nor affordable, so besides my film cameras, a full-frame digital is the closest that I can have to my ideal setup.
Curious what that 'type' is? I'm still deciding on FF and would be interested to understand what types of photography benefit from larger sensor size.
07-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #124
Pentaxian

This is so funny discussion...still...isn't it. Well I just bought 35/2 and 77/1.8 lenses no matter what. I found that I really like them with my K-3. But thinking that they will be wider and my DA*55 will be just little wider on FF. Just gets me smiling.

That is it. No more comments.

Edit . 55 will be wider. I really like my new 35/2...

07-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #125

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Curious what that 'type' is? I'm still deciding on FF and would be interested to understand what types of photography benefit from larger sensor size.

This type of photos.
The larger the sensor/film allow me to choose (within certain limitations) which object should be in focus based on the distance from the camera. The smaller the sensor, the harder this is unless of course we use long focal length lenses, which alters the look of the image.
07-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Water finds its own level....

Its a layered world we live in - i.e. complicated. On the one hand, there is a definite trend to provide smaller mobile phones, computing devices to folks, esp. the younger generations have acclimated to these cultural changes. Indeed, the smart phones have decimated PS cameras, and it hasn't stopped there. One FF couple i know of (he shoots birds with FF and a 800mm lens, she shoots landscapes with a D800), bring their Iphones on trips, they shoot landscapes and videos with the IPhones, and the FF cameras are used for longer critical shots. She recently went to Africa on a safari tour, taking only an iphone for general shooting, a D800 + 70-200 lens for the safari wagon. Multiple FF lenses were eliminated by taking the iphone. She is petite older lady with health problems.

Most FF cameras, that i know of, will let one shoot in crop fashion as well as FF. If you buy a FF camera body, and only FF lenses, you're talking about a lot of money, a lot of weight and a lot of volume for the pack. My plan, is to buy the smallest FF body i can (i.e. the A7XX maybe), no more than 2 FF lenses, use crop lenses from my Nex - cheap and light for walk around, use my Pentax macro, and other Pentax lenses with FF camera because its so good with manual focus, and yes, i'll be keeping my K3 and my f2.8 theatre zooms for that niche. The beauty of my current strobist collection of manual flashes, including the Cactus v6 radio triggers, is that they work equally well on both my Pentax K3 and my Sony bodies with the standard hot shoe. Yes - i've tested them.

My plans are still developing, but my main point is valid. One isn't restricted to one brand (or sensor) of camera/lenses anymore. You can spend your money for the shots you really care about and use smart phones (or some other sensor size) for the rest of it. Linear thinking where you can only use one kind of camera, one sensor size, everything has to be DSLR, or one make is obsolete. Think of my club members i wrote about above, they are combining smart phone pics with FF pics. I don't know if they were just lucky or skilful, but Sony has tapped into an undercurrent of photographic desire not to be limited to one make of lenses. Am i just dreaming with my FF plan - nope. I currently shoot weekly with both my Sony and Pentax cameras - its doable. I can mix and match.

Entropy and chaos are the natural order - get used to it
07-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bigger is better ?

07-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shakumar Quote
This type of photos. The larger the sensor/film allow me to choose (within certain limitations) which object should be in focus based on the distance from the camera. The smaller the sensor, the harder this is unless of course we use long focal length lenses, which alters the look of the image.
So you are looking for narrow DOF control then. Interesting. I rarely shoot at less than f/8 and usually @ f/11 so not sure if this helps my style.
07-20-2015, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #129

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Will having a FF sensor improve your photography?
If so, why?
I can see having better autofocus or maybe more adjustable but am trying to understand why someone would pay thousands of dollars for the body and some decent glass to match. I can see maybe a wedding photographer needing high ISO performance.
So please convince me of your need for full frame where APS-C can't give as good results

Thanks

Randy
I havent read the whole thread, so I can only answer the original question

I picked up a Nikon Df before Christmas last year (K-5 and K-01 are my main Pentax bodies).

The difference between the K-5 and the Df in terms of autofocus and ISO performance is astounding IMO. To put the difference in ISO into perspective, I'll use everyones favorite comparison, an anecdotal example (as a background, I like shooting in low light with no flash)

My wife and me are pretty independent with our money, but she definitely wasn't impressed when I bought my Df (considering the abundance of Pentax lenses etc littering the house, and the fact I didn't NEED a FF camera for my hobby shooting). However, she understood why I bought the Df when I compared some random 6400 ISO shots of a gathering we had at our house. I tried to make it as equal as possible in terms of shooting conditions with respect to composition, focal length differences and aperture (most of the times the Pentax had a lens "quality" advantage), and her response after seeing the difference was an astounded "wow! I get it". The Pentax photos looked grainy even in the preview screen, while the Df was showing minimal grain even when zooming into facial features. The AF is also superior, and I find I get more keepers in a more timely fashion, even in low light (where the K-5 has never been good for me). In short, for someone who doesn't like shooting with flash indoors, this is perfect for me. Unfortunately, I deleted my drunken, VERY scientific comparison shortly after, so I can't share

Did this make me a better photographer? Absolutely not. However, I found the Df to be such a leap in terms of low-light shooting and AF that is was worth it for myself. If a Pentax FF can even come close in either respect, I may sell of the Df due to my abundance of Pentax glass and Pentax's small form factor, but I am very happy with my FF upgrade.
07-21-2015, 01:36 AM   #130
Veteran Member

your portfolio is amazing, full of "wow"
07-21-2015, 02:45 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So you are looking for narrow DOF control then. Interesting. I rarely shoot at less than f/8 and usually @ f/11 so not sure if this helps my style.
Probably not much. The biggest thing is that if you print really big, you can print larger with full frame. But if you shoot stopped down on a tripod most of the time at low iso, it is doubtful that you would see huge differences other than improved color depth and a little better dynamic range.
07-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
your portfolio is amazing, full of "wow"
Thank you.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest thing is that if you print really big, you can print larger with full frame.
How does that work? I thought print size was only influenced by number of pixels. Will a 24mp FF allow larger prints than a 24mp APS-C? Or do you mean that a FF usually has more MP?
07-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does that work? I thought print size was only influenced by number of pixels. Will a 24mp FF allow larger prints than a 24mp APS-C? Or do you mean that a FF usually has more MP?
Although there are no official specs yet, I think people are expecting a 36 MP FF based on the sensor people think it will have. Lots of conjecture, but it seems believable to me.
07-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you.

I think two things. First of all, I expect the Pentax full frame to have more than 24 megapixels. The second thing is that the more pixel dense a sensor is the harder it is to get pixels sharp in your image. A K10 would look sharp in places where a K3 looks blurry at the pixel level. But if your photos are sharp at that level, you wouldn't see a difference between a D610 and a K3 image printed at the same size.
07-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Thank you.

Hopefully, the amount of noise would be less with the larger pixels and lower pixel density of a FF (with same MPx), and would allow a larger print. I think DXO tests there noise that way.