Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's amazing what people think FF will do for them.... the marketers have done well.

07-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FF will allow me to market myself as a spare time thing to some of the real estate people and people here at work for professional looking headshots for their company profile. I have made a little money, but some equate FF to pro.
07-02-2015, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
some equate FF to pro
Truth. FF + Canikon = pro.

But then again many people also equate battery grip + big lens to pro. Maybe try that
07-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Truth. FF + Canikon = pro.

But then again many people also equate battery grip + big lens to pro. Maybe try that
So I should put my battery grip and Tamron 70-200, or better yet the Sigma 150-500 at full extension with lens hood on. Hmm.....

07-02-2015, 07:35 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will expect that it will make me smarter and perhaps even gain the ability to fly and read minds.

Steve
Is that you JMF? Or do you spend too much time (like me) at New Camera News?
No doubt I'll scrutinize everything about it when it arrives, and rave about images when they are posted. So no change for me! At this moment I cannot afford to step higher so 36×24 isn't relevant - yet I'll enjoy it vicariously. And maybe I'll learn something that will improve my own APSc images that way.. ?
07-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you need to be honest about what you "need." There are plenty of folks who probably do need a larger sensor size due to need for shallow depth of field, need to print larger with more detail, or better high iso. But for plenty of others, it is a want. And that is fine too, but it is also clear from looking at the "Post Your Full Frame Photos Here" thread that just simply using full frame does not make you a great photographer.
07-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #52
Pentaxian

I were actually joking little a bit on my previous comment on this thread, but there is a truth in between the lines. I do know for sure that FF will nit open heavens gates and make me somewhat a lot better photographer. But I kind a think that I know what I want from it. One thing is higher quality and more Dof control. And Wide is little bit more neutral distortion vise and so is 35-70 mm in portrait vise. Some extra resolution and ISO performance would be welcome too. I'm really happy with my K-3 but there is allways something little what I would like.

My comment about 645 is because I really like extra resolution. And how Wide shots looks and portraits with 80-150 zoom area. But miney is an issue for me.

07-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
1) use my lenses as they were intended to ... (my 31mm is a 31mm and not equiv 47mm!) 2) easier shallow DOF (i like that) 3) better high iso ... or less post-processing on good concert photos 4) more resolution ... almost negligable for me.
+1 on all these !!
all my lens are FF compatible so I'm excited to see what they can produce on FF ^^
07-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #54

Yes, I believe I will be a better photographer. It will extend my skills further and inspire me to persue my desires beyond limits. However my poor old beast, the 16-50 sdm, won't. What a shame. How will it go being cropped
07-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't get more DOF control with FF. You get less DOF at the same aperture at the same angle of view. What you loose in one end, you gain in the other. DOF control is the same; it is a question of what you want.
For most people it is a loss as most images have significant DOF...
07-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The only improvement I think I will see is that I'll spend less time reading FF threads on this forum and more time taking photographs. After a month or so I'll probally no longer gain this benefit, as I return to read threads like "why hasn't my photography improved with FF"
Great answer!!

Randy
07-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Will having a FF sensor improve your photography? If so, why?
I can see having better autofocus or maybe more adjustable but am trying to understand why someone would pay thousands of dollars for the body and some decent glass to match. I can see maybe a wedding photographer needing high ISO performance.
So please convince me of your need for full frame where APS-C can't give as good results
My answer: I don't know, and frankly I doubt any hardware change will improve my photography. I don't care about autofocus, however I still want a FF camera for the following reasons...

1) I enjoy using K and M manual focus lenses with aperture rings way more than modern lenses, even though the latter are optically superior most of the time, and wish to use some of the wider ones at their native FOV.
2) I want to experience huge viewfinder nirvana.
3) I hope that higher ISOs will become more useful, and secondarily, higher resolution.

That's about it.

There are three ways to go about things...
1) Continue waiting on a Pentax FF and buy new.... or wait even longer and buy one second hand.
2) Buy an A7-series camera now, trade in the NEX-6, and make the A7 my FF camera.
3) Buy a film camera just to see what the fuss is about.

I don't make money from this... it's a hobby that I enjoy quite a lot.
I found a KX film SLR for peanuts recently. It's gonna require some Eric-Hendricksonization before I can get the full experience, but hopefully it will teach me a few things.
07-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #58
Forum Member

FF won't improve my snaps

FF is just another format. It won't improve my photography abilities (which are unchanged regardless of the machine). It might improve the size of the prints I make, if I start making prints and want to make bigger ones. Let's hope that all those who have been crying out for a FF Pentax pony up the money and buy one when it comes out!
07-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You don't get more DOF control with FF. You get less DOF at the same aperture at the same angle of view. What you loose in one end, you gain in the other. DOF control is the same; it is a question of what you want.
For most people it is a loss as most images have significant DOF...
Well that is what I ment. Now with APS-C and then FF, I have more Dof control. And I can widen my focals. Whoch ever way you wan't to look at it. Maybe it will not be significant, but I'll have that. I can imagine the rest.
07-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #60

I think at the end of the day if your a landscape photographer FF IS A MUST.....end of story.....but as said, I just hope my 16-50 gets some use, even if cropped. Who has this lens knows why