Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which wide angle MF lenses will "shine" on the Pentax full frame?

Like many of you I look forward to purchasing the Pentax full frame camera.

I am very happy with the Pentax full frame lenses that I currently have that are 50mm and up.

I don't care for the 35mm angle of view, and will never purchase a 35mm lens.

The only full frame Pentax wide angle lenses that I currently own are the 28mm f/3.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar, and the 20mm SMC Pentax-FA f/2.8 lens (just back from being CLA'ed by Eric Hendrickson‏).

What full frame MF (manual focus) lenses (M42 mounts are OK) from 18 - 28mm do you believe will shine on the new Pentax full frame camera?

07-24-2015, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The only full frame Pentax wide angle lenses that I currently own are the 28mm f/3.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar, and the 20mm SMC Pentax-FA f/2.8 lens (just back from being CLA'ed by Eric Hendrickson‏).
These will do just fine.

Steve
07-24-2015, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

My M 28/3.5 should shine, as it did back in the film days. And I suppose the Zeiss 28mm f/2 I've picked up since will probably be good as well. The K 35/3.5 is a lovely lens on APS-C, I'd imagine it will be good on full frame. I've never used a Pentax 24mm, but the Sigma Superwide 24/2.8 was a great lens on APS-C, I suspect it will perform on full frame as well.
07-24-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K28/2, best MF wide that Pentax made.

Phil.

07-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
K28/2, best MF wide that Pentax made.

Phil.
Thanks for the advice Phil. Expensive lens too I'll bet? Do you own it? Have you compared it to other Pentax 28's? What makes it so special?
07-25-2015, 01:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few months ago I could grab a Pentax A 15 mm f3.5 at a favourable price. It's the widest rectilinear Pentax have made so far. I have tried it on an old analog body (not taking any pictures, just looking through the viewfinder) and it looks very promising. Impatiently waiting for the first user reviews of the new FF. I hope it proves that old lenses made for analog film works just fine on digital, without too much abberations. If that is the case, I'm set and ready to buy the camera and go out and shoot. If not, I'll get a Samyang 10mm and stay with APS-c.

Kjell
07-25-2015, 04:21 AM   #7

hate to be the bearer of bad news but when the full frame camera hits the market the Pentax-A primes will most likely skyrocket in price.

if you can put up with a bit of distortion the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical is a must have regardless of what dslr you use, considering the edge sharpness when fitted to my crappy 12mp aps-c cannon 1100d is around 2000+ l/ph wide open at a guess on a 36mp FF sensor the edge sharpness would be in excess of 3300 l/ph wide open putting it up there with zeiss

07-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Samyang/Rokinon etc 14mm is an excellent lens but edge sharpness on ASP-C is not a good indicator of what it will be like on FF since the actual edges are cropped out. I have used the lens on a Sony A7M2 and it is excellent and sharp but the edges are not great. Careful technique can improve the edges but edge sharpness on FF is not its strength That said, it is still a sharp FF lens and many other FF equivalent WA lenses also have the edge problem.
07-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to have the Pentax M28 f/2.8 and I loved it, I especially loved for it's warm colour rendition. I also used to have the FA 28 f/2.8 AL, this was undoubtly better in terms of better sharpness and lower distorsion and more resistant to flare, but was also more neutral in colour rendition... I do doubt that the new 24x36 will have aperture coupling so I believe the A lenses will be the easiest one to use...
07-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, lenses with A setting aperture rings will be very desirable. However, my M lenses worked very well on the A7M2 I had for awhile. And, of course, the Sony had no aperture coupling.
07-25-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I really hope that Pentax provide some special or clever capability to improve the usability of older manual focus Pentax glass on the FF.

The green AF hexagon in the optical viewfinder (and the AF beep), or indeed CIF, are nice focus aids, but it would be great if there was something better. Dropping out to LiveView in order to get focus-peaking is always an option, I guess, but I prefer staying in the OVF.
07-25-2015, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Thanks for the advice Phil. Expensive lens too I'll bet? Do you own it? Have you compared it to other Pentax 28's? What makes it so special?
Yep I have the K28/2 and yes it's expensive but worth it. It's the floating lens elements that make it special and the lens was a Zeiss/Pentax collaboration.

Check-out the lens review for more info:

SMC Pentax 28mm F2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I own about 50 Pentax manual focus 35mm format lenses (no duplicates), not only is the K28/2 my best wide angle that I own but I would also say it's the best lens period.

Note I use all of these lenses on film cameras, so I already know how they perform on FF, however on digital FF results may very!

Phil.
07-25-2015, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
hate to be the bearer of bad news but when the full frame camera hits the market the Pentax-A primes will most likely skyrocket in price.
Don't discount the possibility that the prices of 'A', 'F' and 'FA' lenses initially DROP, when those who have been hoarding them in anticipation of selling them at a profit flood the market with lenses For Sale when the FF is officially announced and released.
07-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The Samyang/Rokinon etc 14mm is an excellent lens but edge sharpness on ASP-C is not a good indicator of what it will be like on FF
True, My bad, keep forgetting about the crop

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't discount the possibility that the prices of 'A', 'F' and 'FA' lenses initially DROP, when those who have been hoarding them in anticipation of selling them at a profit flood the market with lenses For Sale when the FF is officially announced and released.
that all depends on if the FF comes with screw drive autofocus
07-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
that all depends on if the FF comes with screw drive autofocus
It would be crazy of them to omit support for screw drive. 150% unlikely.
They even displayed their mockup of the FF with a FA 31 mounted.