Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #136
Pentaxian
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Posts: 3,073
Many early adoptors here...... the Agency just hasn't delivered the baby yet.

09-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #137
Senior Member
bilybianca's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 228
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Philosophical question: can one really be an 'early adopter' of a late camera.
Precisely what I was thinking. A camera that is late to begin with, then belated. So the question should be rephrased "Will you be amongst the first of the late adopters?" I might if specs, price and first reviews are favourable. I actually was looking forwards to having it before Christmas.

Kjell
09-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #138
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,832
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
amongst the first of the late adopters
That captures the dilemma well.

I too will probably buy the device within 6 months of it appearing in stores, I guess, subject to the same caveats about price and specs.
09-26-2015, 02:39 AM   #139
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 127
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Many of us are eagerly awaiting the future release of the Pentax full frame camera. It is something we have wished for for years. We have a treasure trove of lenses just sitting in storage, waiting to be used on this new camera.

My question of you is will YOU be one of the early adopters of this camera? Will you pre-order one before the reviews come out and before it is even available?

Yes, it is exciting to be one of the first to get your hands on one of the first models of an exciting new camera. But there are potential pitfalls to being an early adopter.

I got one of the first Pentax K3II cameras. A few weeks after I bought it, the price dropped, and there was a recall on the GPS mechanism because on certain early serial numbers the defective GPS caused the entire camera to lock up. Pentax has that problem fixed now, but it was certainly a bit of a hassle for us early adopters.

So, when the Full Frame comes out, I believe that I'll wait a while to order mine till the dust settles and the bugs and kinks get worked out. How about you, are you going to rush in and buy one or wait a bit??
I'll preorder :-)
How do I do this?

I have LOADS of early days 24x36 lenses (some are legendary lenses), collected through my 34 years of using Pentax equipment . Auto focus and Manual. Hope the new Full Frame comes with a "allow aperture ring" option.
I'd love to know the price tag of the new full frame Pentax...???

BTW: I allready have a full frame Pentax: Pentax 645D. I whish I could afford the 645Z :-)

09-28-2015, 05:05 AM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,805
QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
Hope the new Full Frame comes with a "allow aperture ring" option.
I can't see it not doing so, when (IIRC) every other Pentax digital SLR does so. (I vaguely recall reading that the *ist-D didn't but they added it in later; correct me if I'm wrong. Certainly my *ist-DL had the ability.)
09-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #141
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 40
As almost all of my K series lenses are older full frame film lenses, there's no real downside to jumping on this (other than bucks out of the pocket), though I have to say I'm still getting a lot of good use out of my K3. I doubt it's going to replace my 645's, but there are times I don't want to lug that kind of weight around... just very curious to see what the final feature set looks like- my suspicion is that they're going for a much as possible with a very up to date sensor design plus the resolution enhancement tricks using the anti-shake positioning, so getting all that dialed in properly is not trivial, I expect.
10-01-2015, 05:04 AM   #142
Pentaxian
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Posts: 3,073
I probally won't rush in.....but I'd like a silver one....that may force my hand.
10-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #143
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Many of us are eagerly awaiting the future release of the Pentax full frame camera. It is something we have wished for for years. We have a treasure trove of lenses just sitting in storage, waiting to be used on this new camera.

My question of you is will YOU be one of the early adopters of this camera? Will you pre-order one before the reviews come out and before it is even available?

Yes, it is exciting to be one of the first to get your hands on one of the first models of an exciting new camera. But there are potential pitfalls to being an early adopter.

I got one of the first Pentax K3II cameras. A few weeks after I bought it, the price dropped, and there was a recall on the GPS mechanism because on certain early serial numbers the defective GPS caused the entire camera to lock up. Pentax has that problem fixed now, but it was certainly a bit of a hassle for us early adopters.

So, when the Full Frame comes out, I believe that I'll wait a while to order mine till the dust settles and the bugs and kinks get worked out. How about you, are you going to rush in and buy one or wait a bit??
Four years too late for me, so I can afford to wait. The only question is whether or not to sell some lenses when it comes out.

---------- Post added 10-02-15 at 11:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guess would be more 2500 to 2800 initial pricing with the price falling over time. I have absolutely no inside information though.

I cannot imagine a price tag north of 3000. It just wouldn't make much sense in today's marketplace.
D810 is $3k right now, although it will be less six months from now when the Pentax camera is sold.

Still, I can easily imagine an intro price of $2800-3500.

10-02-2015, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #144
osv
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

D810 is $3k right now, although it will be less six months from now when the Pentax camera is sold.

Still, I can easily imagine an intro price of $2800-3500.
$3500 is right up there with the most expensive ff cameras on the market, and that's not what pentax normally does... look at where the 645z is positioned, for instance.

pentax was probably working on a solid, high quality ff camera, with some tweaks like pixel-shifting, that would have set it apart from the competition, and it would have been priced well under the same mp offerings that canikon is selling... but then the a7rii came out, and imho, pentax wanted to re-think it's strategy.

so they figured that the only way that they'll be able to justify close to $3500 is if they can pack sony-level engineering in the camera... dual-gain sensor, better af options at the sensor level, 4k video, etc... you know, the things that canikon doesn't have, but will have in the future, thanks to sony forcing their hands.

pentax ff could be real interesting.
10-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Pioneer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,231
No, I will not be an early adopter. In fact, I may not buy this camera at all.

I was never convinced the Ricoh/Pentax should build a full frame digital camera, and my opinion still hasn't changed. I do hope it works out for them but I am afraid that it may turn out to be too little, too late. I will look at the camera with great interest when, and if, it finally arrives on the scene.

Although my *1stD and my K10D are a bit long in the tooth now, particularly in digital terms, they still provide some excellent photos when I make the time to use them, which isn't all that often anymore. They also happen to be great handling cameras.

The Q and Q7 are now my primary digital cameras, and I find it wonderful to carry and have made some amazing photos with it. I was a very early adopter of this system and have never regretted it.

I also recently purchased a new 645D and am having great fun rediscovering all my 645 lenses. This has become my primary portrait, landscape and art camera. It took me quite awhile to buy into this system because of the upfront cost but, again, I am not sorry I did.

There was a time in my life when I did feel that full frame was important. But since the Q I have changed my mind. Additionally, since the 645D handles the majority of tasks I would consider a full frame for, there is no longer a reason for it.

I am sure that those who have lobbied for so long to see this camera will enjoy it.

Assuming of course that they actually step to the plate and buy one that is. Seems to be an awful lot of waffling out there all of a sudden.
10-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #146
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 877
I still think it will be priced in the $2,200-2,500 range. It is a Pentax tradition. Priced so attractively that you cannot resist!! Plus they always priced the cameras at a sizable discount compared to the other FF flagships (810, 5Ds-R etc.).

Price it in the low $2k range and a lot of people will find the money to buy it. Price it too high and you may not have so many takers. At this point given that people have waited and tried to stay loyal, Pentax can throw a bone our way and make everyone super happy. Selling a few hundred units will not cut it. They need to sell in the thousands to make a statement.

---------- Post added 10-02-15 at 07:29 PM ----------

I think they will pack all the features you mentioned and it will still be well below $3k. Given the lack of third party lens support, people are compelled to buy Pentax glass. For every camera body, they perhaps sell 2, 3 or even more lenses. So they have a decent revenue stream with the lenses. Pricing the the 24-70 at $1,300 tells me that they are thinking top line growth. The 24-70 is the "standard" lens for any FF body. My guess is that they will sell a lot of the FF and the 24-70 combo. I would not be surprised to see a combo/package price in the low $3K range.
10-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #147
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
No, I will not be an early adopter. In fact, I may not buy this camera at all.

I was never convinced the Ricoh/Pentax should build a full frame digital camera, and my opinion still hasn't changed. I do hope it works out for them but I am afraid that it may turn out to be too little, too late. I will look at the camera with great interest when, and if, it finally arrives on the scene.

Although my *1stD and my K10D are a bit long in the tooth now, particularly in digital terms, they still provide some excellent photos when I make the time to use them, which isn't all that often anymore. They also happen to be great handling cameras.

The Q and Q7 are now my primary digital cameras, and I find it wonderful to carry and have made some amazing photos with it. I was a very early adopter of this system and have never regretted it.

I also recently purchased a new 645D and am having great fun rediscovering all my 645 lenses. This has become my primary portrait, landscape and art camera. It took me quite awhile to buy into this system because of the upfront cost but, again, I am not sorry I did.

There was a time in my life when I did feel that full frame was important. But since the Q I have changed my mind. Additionally, since the 645D handles the majority of tasks I would consider a full frame for, there is no longer a reason for it.

I am sure that those who have lobbied for so long to see this camera will enjoy it.

Assuming of course that they actually step to the plate and buy one that is. Seems to be an awful lot of waffling out there all of a sudden.
Pentax waited too long for me, I think. I'm on my third FF camera now. I'd like a nice Pentax but I might just keep using my Pentax lenses on a Sony.
10-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #148
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 267
Wait and save...

I bought my K5IIS in 2014 for 597 € whereas it was 1299 € when it was released two years earlier. I will play it the same way for the FF, but only if it can treat my four babies with respect, that is if it has an un-crippled mount. I very much doubt it will have one though, so my sweat little 16 mp sensor will serve me for many years to come.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by fg-one; 10-11-2015 at 10:10 PM.
10-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #149
osv
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
QuoteOriginally posted by fg-one Quote
I bought my K5IIS in 2014 for 597 € whereas it was 1299 € when it was released two years earlier. I will play it the same way for the FF, but only if it can treat my four babies with respect, that is if it has an un-crippled mount. I very much doubt it will have one though, so my sweat little 16 mp sensor will serve me for many years to come.
nice lineup!

"un-crippled" as in something like step-down auto metering? given how inaccurate manual focusing with an ovf is, those lenses won't see their true potential until they are on an evf camera... imho, auto metering is a minor concern, compared to accurate focusing, and it's partially negated with wysiwyg functionality.
10-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #150
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,264
The answer, of course, is "depends..."

for me, if it is <2000, yes.

>2000, will wait and see.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, body, bsi, camera, evf, ff, frame, full-frame, gps, iq, lens, lenses, m50, money, ovf, pentax, pentax ff, pentax full frame, people, price, question, sensors, sony, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which wide angle MF lenses will "shine" on the Pentax full frame? Fenwoodian Pentax Full Frame 24 09-08-2015 03:34 PM
Benjamin Kanarek "I will no longer be using the Pentax system..." LFLee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 96 07-30-2013 08:13 AM
The "consumerization" of full frame cameras Giklab Pentax DSLR Discussion 41 09-19-2012 02:04 PM
The Meaninglessness of "Full Frame" RobA_Oz Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 10-03-2011 01:35 PM
Full frame or improved AF. What do you want in the "K-8"? johnmflores Pentax DSLR Discussion 73 06-04-2010 11:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top