Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #151
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
nice lineup!
thanks
QuoteQuote:
"un-crippled" as in something like step-down auto metering?
in the old days, the body could read the aperture setting on those lenses and do the metering accordingly.
QuoteQuote:
given how inaccurate manual focusing with an ovf is,
I've got an S-type focusing screen and a reasonable eye sight that do the trick with f2.8 or faster lenses, but right, there are more misses under low light.
QuoteQuote:
those lenses won't see their true potential until they are on an evf camera…
never used an evf but the most recent ones are said to be quite good.
QuoteQuote:
imho, auto metering is a minor concern, compared to accurate focusing, and it's partially negated with wysiwyg functionality.
yes, it's only a matter of pressing the green button after all, but sometimes I forget to do so.

Last edited by fg-one; 10-12-2015 at 12:11 PM.
10-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by osv:
those lenses won't see their true potential until they are on an evf camera…
What a weird statement. People seem to really love their EVF's, I'm sure any lens will be quite usable on an EVF or OVF.

Last edited by bobbotron; 10-13-2015 at 12:55 PM.
10-21-2015, 05:14 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No. I have decided against it. I rather stick to APS and buy the 15 Limited and the 20-40 Limited. And then add a 645z further down the line; perhaps second hand. I have a complete set of FF lenses from 18 to 600mm and four 645 lenses from 33 to 300mm.
I think that Pentax FF will be rather half-hearted effort judging from the fact that its most important lenses will be Tamron rebadges, and the fact that the resources into FF lenses are put at those that makes even more sense for APS; ie the 80-200/2.8 and the 150-450.
10-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter

When to buy

Well, I want to wait for 12 months for possible price drop as I have always done for cropped sensor cameras, but also to wait for the bugs to get worked out. Meanwhile, I am adjusting my lens collection to be prepared--lots of Pentax-M, Pentax-A, FA (three nice ones!), D FA, and no DA lens, although I am thinking I should get one just to be able to see how the ff handles those lenses. At something below $2,000, especially when they start adding in lenses and flashes, I will go for it, and that should begin happening before Christmas 2016.

10-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #155
Veteran Member

i will be maybe...
Pal Jensens Issue with the lenses... i just dont see that. Just hand out Worksuits that say PENTAX to the guys at Tamron that stitch the lenses together for pentax...
11-03-2015, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

Ok. I've changed my mind. It seems to be a serious tool...
11-10-2015, 02:53 AM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I rather stick to APS and buy the 15 Limited and the 20-40 Limited. And then add a 645z further down the line
I'm not sure. Sticking to apsc & the very nice line of available lenses while slowly moving into 645z path as upgrade doesn't look like a bad idea to me either. I think the 645z is 'another world' opener in terms of photographic experience, more than FF will be.
Would be a shame not to be able to experiment with m-lenses on the FF though.
11-10-2015, 03:07 AM   #158
Site Supporter

Recent events have not dampened my enthusiasm one iota.
If Pentax Australia took pre-orders, I would be on it.

11-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm already on record as saying I was going to take my sweet time over getting one, but now I'm not so sure. Though the proof of the pudding is going to be in the eating, the switch layout suggests that someone's given serious thought to the way photographers are going to interact with the camera, and this ought to reflect on the way it handles the information the lenses paint onto the sensor. It's going to be expensive, of course, so it will probably be 2016's Christmas present rather than acquired as soon as possible after the release, but apart from that my answer is more and more shifting towards "yes".
11-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm never the early adopter. I'd prefer to wait until rev2 is announced and rev1 gets reduced to very attractive prices.
11-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I'm never the early adopter.
Well, I guess it all depends on how early is "early". Some would define it as buying the first production model, before the release of any revisions but after reports have returned of its reliability and usefulness. Others would define it as being willing to slay others in the lineup outside the camera store and clamber over their mangled bodies to get one (only joking). I'm much more in the former category. That being said, I'd hate to buy a crippled-mount K1 and then find the K1-ii being released with fully-restored aperture coupling... It's always the problem - at what point in the procurement cycle do you decide "I have to buy the technology NOW; I cannot wait around for updates any longer"? It's a question defence ministers have wrestled with since 1850 or so, when things like steam power and breech-loading guns began to make their appearance, and it is a graveyard of reputations of people who are perceived as having got it wrong.
11-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it's not nearly as serious as war machines. I guess if I was earning a living with cameras & I needed something that wasn't currently available in Pentax, it might be a very big deal. Especially if the newest thing on the market had that thing I needed.
11-10-2015, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #163
Site Supporter

I will be an early adopter, because I have 100% confidence that Pentax/Ricoh will give me more video capacity than either the 645z or the K3.

If Ricoh screws up, and essentially gives me a camera that can't compete with the A7/A7s, then tell me why I would not go and snag a first generation 645D if photography will be the FF's primary focus?

The 645D cameras that are still in inventory are a serious competitor if there is poor video in the K1/FF.
11-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well, it's not nearly as serious as war machines.
No, but some of the issues regarding when to bite the bullet and buy it are just as pertinent, especially when risky new technology is being introduced and you can't afford to be left behind. In camera world, this is mostly the professionals. It is a bit different in that most military technology since World War 2 has been driven by specifications from an intending major purchaser. What the pre-WW2 industry used to call "private ventures" have been much less common since then and almost unheard of in the West. On the other hand, just about every DSLR is a private venture - there's no single major purchaser out there giving Nikon or Canon or Pentax a shopping list of features and asking them to design a camera to suit; none of their fortunes rest on meeting such a demand.

The ridiculous extreme of such a waiting game would be the customer who, having seen the first *ist-D released, finally felt comfortable ditching their Spotmatic for a K-1000.

Last edited by pathdoc; 11-10-2015 at 10:34 AM.
11-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, the 645D has arrived and I have had the chance to work with it for awhile. I have to say that this camera has seriously altered my decision making on the full frame Pentax.

For starters I need to say that my K5iiS still provides exceptional autofocus and the sensor, combined with Pentax's software, continues to impress me. The APS-C sensor allows me to stretch my long glass and is plenty capable of handling my sports photography (mostly high school or lower.)

So this leaves the wide glass. Obviously this is where APS-C has some struggles. But, let me tell you this, attach the FA645 35 on that bad boy 645D and you have so much more control over DOF than you ever did with any full frame camera. You can completely isolate your portrait subject from tip of the nose to the ears yet blur everything else into a sweet, smooth, tonal bokeh.

IMHO full frame doesn't have a chance against this pair. Not on the long end against Pentax's awesome APS-C offerings, nor on the wide end against their medium format digital 645s. FF is just a wannabee. A compromise in the middle.

Sorry, I do hope the Pentax FF sells well. But if you really are a serious photographer you may want to step back for a bit and take a close look at what other options are out their in the Pentax line up.

Last edited by Pioneer; 11-23-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typos