Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Ok, the 645D has arrived and I have had the chance to work with it for awhile. I have to say that this camera has seriously altered my decision making on the full frame Pentax.

For starters I need to say that my K5iiS still provides exceptional autofocus and the sensor, combined with Pentax's software, continues to impress me. The APS-C sensor allows me to stretch my long glass and is plenty capable of handling my sports photography (mostly high school or lower.)

So this leaves the wide glass. Obviously this is where APS-C has some struggles. But, let me tell you this, attach the FA645 35 on that bad boy 645D and you have so much more control over DOF than you ever did with any full frame camera. You can completely isolate your portrait subject from tip of the nose to the ears yet blur everything else into a sweet, smooth, tonal bokeh.

IMHO full frame doesn't have a chance against this pair. Not on the long end against Pentax's awesome APS-C offerings, nor on the wide end against their medium format digital 645s. FF is just a wannabee. A compromise in the middle.

Sorry, I do hope the Pentax FF sells well. But if you really are a serious photographer you may want to step back for a bit and take a close look at what other options are out their in the Pentax line up.
Yep. If the FF blows the video department, I will pick up a 645D for photography and move into a A7SII. Then down the line, when the FF becomes reasonable, pick one up.

I can't imagine the FF not getting video right, so I think the risk is pretty low.

11-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter

I swore I wouldn't do it - I love my K-3 but seeing the K-1's layout with the dials etc and quick options for setting changes, plus crop mode etc, I am sort of thinking it might happen.

Plus a friend is kind of interested in one of my K-3s, so I'd sell that and still have a K-3 and the FF. But given I am not a pro by any stretch, it is probably a real extravagance and overkill.

Very torn. Silver would be cool.
11-24-2015, 04:48 AM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
I swore I wouldn't do it - I love my K-3 but seeing the K-1's layout with the dials etc and quick options for setting changes, plus crop mode etc, I am sort of thinking it might happen.
Substitute K-5 for K-3 and you've got where I'm coming from. I wasn't even thinking about it before, but looking at the care they've taken over the control layout makes me think this could translate to what's inside. If that's the case, then I think we're looking at something pretty spectacular.
11-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #169
Forum Member

No way. Recent history (K5 and K3) has shown that the first version always has problems that cannot be fully fixed with firmware. If I were to upgrade I'd certainly wait for 6 months to see the problems reported then make a decision. Also the price will be 25% less by then.

I have been guilty of buying early for both K5 and K3 and have learnt to wait. Having said that though I am more than happy with the K3 so won't be jumping ship just yet.

11-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #170
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Ok, the 645D has arrived and I have had the chance to work with it for awhile. I have to say that this camera has seriously altered my decision making on the full frame Pentax.

For starters I need to say that my K5iiS still provides exceptional autofocus and the sensor, combined with Pentax's software, continues to impress me. The APS-C sensor allows me to stretch my long glass and is plenty capable of handling my sports photography (mostly high school or lower.)

So this leaves the wide glass. Obviously this is where APS-C has some struggles. But, let me tell you this, attach the FA645 35 on that bad boy 645D and you have so much more control over DOF than you ever did with any full frame camera. You can completely isolate your portrait subject from tip of the nose to the ears yet blur everything else into a sweet, smooth, tonal bokeh.

IMHO full frame doesn't have a chance against this pair. Not on the long end against Pentax's awesome APS-C offerings, nor on the wide end against their medium format digital 645s. FF is just a wannabee. A compromise in the middle.

Sorry, I do hope the Pentax FF sells well. But if you really are a serious photographer you may want to step back for a bit and take a close look at what other options are out their in the Pentax line up.

Very interesting comments...

First, I too plan to use a two camera/system approach to my photography. Definitely continuing to use APS-C will long telephoto AF lenses for my birds in flight and for my super fast action sports work. However, I will not be using a Pentax APS-C for this, I will continue to use a Nikon APS-C body with their super fast telephoto glass.

Your point on using the Pentax medium format digitals for wide angle work makes sense to me too. However, having owned a K3II and shooting a fair amount of pixel shifted images I am a big fan on how pixel shifting makes an APS-C camera shoot far above it's weight class. Some professional on-line reviewers have claimed that K3II pixel shift images hold their own with many of the better full frame digital cameras.

So, given that, I would not be surprised if a 42/36MP Pentax full frame in PS mode produced an image quality that exceeds the IQ of the 645Z/645D. I would hope that soon after the new full frame is out some qualified reviewer compares pixel shift K1 vs. 645D/645Z and we'll all find out the answer to my hypothesis in short order.

Yeah, I know pixel shift does not work on moving objects, but most of the wide angle stuff that I shoot does not move.

I continuously make large prints on my Epson large format printer. At this point, pixel shifted K3II images are giving me high quality and clean enough files that I'm perfectly satisfied with the size of prints that I typically print. I am really not all that sure that a full frame (even with PS) will make that much of a difference in my prints. Before I buy a Pentax full frame for my wide angle and standard work, I would love to see a review comparing 24" x 36" K3II PS prints to the same sized K1 regular prints and K1 PS prints.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-26-2015 at 12:12 AM.
11-26-2015, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

I have a considerable amount of 35mm lenses designed for a full format pentax K mount camera, it would be perverse for me not to get a K-1. But that shouldn't suggest I'm going to toss APS-C format out the window for good, as far as macro and wildlife photography are concerned APS-C is still viable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If Pentax Australia took pre-orders, I would be on it.
I'll beat you to it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-26-2015 at 12:39 AM.
11-26-2015, 01:52 AM   #172
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't upgraded my K-5IIs waiting for the FF. When I can buy the K-1 I will (I can't think of anything that would make me change my mind, as I strongly believe it will be a great camera) and keep my loved K-5IIs as a second body either for parallel use or for circumstances that a cheaper-lighter APS-C camera might fit better.
11-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter

Absent the need to acquire funds for purchase, I see NO reason why anyone considering the K-1 should ditch their APS-C camera or any part of their gear.

I think it's fair to say that the K-1 is the camera every 18-35mm FAJ lens in existence has been waiting for - this is their chance for a return to the glory days.

11-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter

I will probably be a first adapter. I keep telling myself to wait on the reviews, but I think Ricoh will get it right.
11-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #175

I am quite certain that I will NOT be an earlier adopter …but ONLY because I can't. And not because I won't want to. Quite the contrary. I won't have expendable income for another couple of years. But if Pentax makes the FF a stellar top performer for professional or advanced amateur use (performance & work flow > features & gimmicks) in an near APS-C size package: I very likely will NOT NEED it, but I will WANT it. And to make matters worse, chances are extremely high that it will result in me having two bodies: a FF and updated APS-C body. I'm presently in the K-5 and really look forward to upgrading to an antialiasing filterless option sometime. Honestly APS-C format (theoretically lighter, smaller, less expensive hardware wise) will cover everything that I typically do the most (e.g. kayaking, family activities & vacation). The FF will cover… ?? uh, just because I want it! Honestly, I could really enjoy using the FA limiteds at their respective focal lengths of 31mm (especially), 43mm and 77mm- as well and my few remaining film lenses. The prospect to be able to just switch between their respective focal length perspectives makes the thought even sweeter. Necessary? Absolutely not. But compelling? Absolutely yes, and just because.

(OK now everybody knows I am not always rational.)
11-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter

It is apparent I'm not going to sell anything. But I get a bonus every September.
11-26-2015, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No!
I don't need FF, and I can't afford it anyway
11-26-2015, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Many of us are eagerly awaiting the future release of the Pentax full frame camera. It is something we have wished for for years. We have a treasure trove of lenses just sitting in storage, waiting to be used on this new camera.

My question of you is will YOU be one of the early adopters of this camera? Will you pre-order one before the reviews come out and before it is even available?

Yes, it is exciting to be one of the first to get your hands on one of the first models of an exciting new camera. But there are potential pitfalls to being an early adopter.

I got one of the first Pentax K3II cameras. A few weeks after I bought it, the price dropped, and there was a recall on the GPS mechanism because on certain early serial numbers the defective GPS caused the entire camera to lock up. Pentax has that problem fixed now, but it was certainly a bit of a hassle for us early adopters.

So, when the Full Frame comes out, I believe that I'll wait a while to order mine till the dust settles and the bugs and kinks get worked out. How about you, are you going to rush in and buy one or wait a bit??
well, I've started collecting some FA lenses in anticipation that I might end up with a Pentax FF to replace my aging (but highly loved) Nikon D800. So we'll see. In the meantime the K-3 II and D800 has me covered for now.

Michael

---------- Post added 11-26-15 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Before I buy a Pentax full frame for my wide angle and standard work, I would love to see a review comparing 24" x 36" K3II PS prints to the same sized K1 regular prints and K1 PS prints.
here are some K-3 vs. D800 telephoto shots (both scaled to 20"x30").

My take is that using good techniques with a K-3 is more than capable of delivering superb 24"x36" prints that rival full-frame. OTOH, full-frame wide-angle primes and zooms will almost always outperform equivalent crop-sensor wide-angle primes and zooms. So for me, a two-body system is a must.

YMMV

Michael