Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will I be an early adopter? In short, NO.
However, looking much further, yes inevitably. FF is the only way to make full use out of a collection of super wide angles and the picture quality will likely be a quantum leap. After the first couple models roll out, II version, price drop, and much feedback here and other sources, I can see buying one assuming the traditional backwards capability with my older lenses. It will be about cost involved I guess especially for those of us who have acquired most of what we own buying used or swapping and trading in one form or another.

07-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think a lot of people's minds will change as we get closer to the release date. Ricoh's marketing machine will turn on and image sample previews will be posted online.
07-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #48
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think a lot of people's minds will change as we get closer to the release date. Ricoh's marketing machine will turn on and image sample previews will be posted online.

haha perhaps so.. it is way too early to say one way or the other unless you just don't want to spend brand new tax (which I don't).. But we don't even know sensor used.. not cost.. not features.. not lens prices and performance.. we know very little.

Once we get official specs and pricing then it might be a bit easier to decide.

And I'm waiting at least a year anyways simply because I've bought so many APS-C lenses for cheap this year that I will keep on truckin with the crop system for quite some time. By then the FF body price should be half the starting retail price and the next body might be out with even more improved features.. that said, I do fully intend to switch to FF body at some point. not sure I'm going with all FF lenses though. They are massive on the telephoto side and I value the small size of my 50-135 and 55-300 comparatively. Probably the 24-70 f/2.8 FF and a host of APS-C stuff.. God willing maybe sometime in 2017.
07-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #49
Forum Member

No. The value of a system is in the lenses (as Fuji understands). Some will think this heresy, but older film camera lenses are going to leave a lot to be desired on a full frame, high megapixel, DSLR. This is certainly proven with older Nikon lenses on their FX bodies. The only possible exceptions are the occasional tele-photo zooms, or a tele-photo, and these are their lenses from the late 90s, or early 21st century, not lenses from the 70s and 80s.
Pentax is going to produce a full frame with almost nothing to put on it. When they do crank out the lenses from their roadmap, they're all zooms.
And yes, I am aware that there are the 3 Amigos that many wax elequent upon, but while the 31 will give you a moderate wide angle, the 43 and 77 seem too short as either a 'normal' or short tele-photo.
Actually, I think Pentax/Ricoh has made a huge mistake wading into the big pool owned by Canon and Nikon. I really like my K-3, and believe they should have continued developing APS cameras and lenses.
Will I buy the Pentax full frame? No, I'm afraid I'll be using a Nikon.

Last edited by Canuck_west; 07-26-2015 at 07:33 PM.
07-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Interesting to see so many 'No's considering how many "I want FF" and "Where's the FF?" and even, "I will hate Pentax forever and switch
to Canikony if I don't see a Pentax FF tomorrow" threads there have been over the past few years.

My answer, too, is 'No', but I never considered the need for nor asked for a Pentax FF. I will not purchase the first generation Pentax FF,
not because I didn't ask for it, but because I just bought a K-3 last year and my cycle for buying new DSLR bodies runs about 3-5 years.
However, I can very well imagine buying a Pentax FF somewhere down the road, perhaps in 2-4 years when my K-3 feels a little long in
the tooth.
07-26-2015, 11:13 PM - 3 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canuck_west Quote
I really like my K-3, and believe they should have continued developing APS cameras and lenses.
And who said that they will not continue developing the APS-C system?? ofcourse they will, FF lenses and body will just make it stronger.. will make a complete path from Basic APS-C to really capable FF cameras.

I think that many people will eventually move to the FF system in some time.. perhaps not within the 1st month.. but the system will grow when the people that just bought the K3 or K3ii finish their cycle as tvdtvdtvd said.
07-26-2015, 11:59 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I was an early adopter of the K-3 and it was an excellent decision! Almost two years now with this superb camera. By the way, I also bought the K-7 early and got good use out of it although it was not perfect. I grow weary of the constant negativity and complaining on our forums.
<br />
The K-7 is not so bad, below 800ISO.<br />
The K-3 is just perfect, a FF K-3 would be heaven for me.
Now I really need a FF because I sold my APS lenses.

07-27-2015, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the official pre-release specs are up to scratch, and the price is reasonable for a fully featured pro-level body (say <$3000) I'll be all over it.

My FA*24, FA31, FA43, A50/1.2, FA77 and K135/2.5 have waited long enough to come home. My DA10-17, DA*55 and DFA100WR won't mind dropping in either.
07-27-2015, 12:13 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
And who said that they will not continue developing the APS-C system?? ofcourse they will, FF lenses and body will just make it stronger.. will make a complete path from Basic APS-C to really capable FF cameras.

I think that many people will eventually move to the FF system in some time.. perhaps not within the 1st month.. but the system will grow when the people that just bought the K3 or K3ii finish their cycle as tvdtvdtvd said.
Exactly!
For the Pentax brand the most important think about the FF system may be the upgrade path it provides for advanced users.
07-27-2015, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canuck_west Quote
No. The value of a system is in the lenses (as Fuji understands). Some will think this heresy, but older film camera lenses are going to leave a lot to be desired on a full frame, high megapixel, DSLR. This is certainly proven with older Nikon lenses on their FX bodies. The only possible exceptions are the occasional tele-photo zooms, or a tele-photo, and these are their lenses from the late 90s, or early 21st century, not lenses from the 70s and 80s.
Pentax is going to produce a full frame with almost nothing to put on it. When they do crank out the lenses from their roadmap, they're all zooms.
And yes, I am aware that there are the 3 Amigos that many wax elequent upon, but while the 31 will give you a moderate wide angle, the 43 and 77 seem too short as either a 'normal' or short tele-photo.
Actually, I think Pentax/Ricoh has made a huge mistake wading into the big pool owned by Canon and Nikon. I really like my K-3, and believe they should have continued developing APS cameras and lenses.
Will I buy the Pentax full frame? No, I'm afraid I'll be using a Nikon.
I agree. Without a decent line up of modern lenses for FF, Pentax may not be a viable FF platform in the long run. Sony learned that lesson real fast. It teamed up with Zeiss and it is cranking out lenses like crazy. As a result, they may be the system to beat.

Let's face it, what keeps Pentax in the news and the pro circles so to speak, is the 645 not the DSLR line up. All the Canon and Nikon guys I know who are lusting after a better system and are doing still work want the 645. If they want video too, then Sony is the one they are switching to.
07-27-2015, 01:44 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen plenty of amazing shots taken with old Pentax lenses on Sony A7's....
Just sayin'
07-27-2015, 02:26 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It will be funny if the Pentax full frame camera isn't a big seller, considering that every thread eventually turned into either a full frame or an equivalence thread over the last 3 years. The only thing is that I know that people like Falconeye and Jay Sherman already own Nikon full frame cameras., I guess the question is if they would sell those and come back.

On the other hand, APS-C is "good enough" for a lot of people and considering the difference in price, it is understandable if they choose to stick with it, even if it isn't the best.
07-27-2015, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The B&H website lists 14 lenses branded Sony, Zeiss or Sony with a Zeiss range name. It also lists 9 Pentax lenses that are specifically for FF K-mount bodies. The A7 has been out for 21 months, and the Pentax 35FF body isn't due to be out for another 4 months. We know some of the Pentax DA lenses have image circles that fit a 35mm frame. I don't think the Pentax FF lens range is going to be anything to worry about, at least in comparison with the Sony lineup.
07-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #59
Pentaxian

I will definitely not pre order. Before I consider buying, I'd like to see how it feels compared to the K-3. Of course the price could be restrictive. I would also like to see the release of a number of resonable priced standard and wide WR lenses for the FF. I presently own a number of lenses that will work with a FF but none of them WR.
07-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
My question of you is will YOU be one of the early adopters of this camera? Will you pre-order one before the reviews come out and before it is even available?
Maybe. Depends on the camera. The right specifications and performance for the right price... Yes. It also depends on the lenses they will launch with it. I'm a prime shooter mostly, so the lack of new primes like an updated 77mm LTD are a negative. IF they launched with a new D-FA* 85mm F/1.4 then I would probably be on the pre-order list.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
How about you, are you going to rush in and buy one or wait a bit??
Until I see the actual camera and specifications, I can't say for certain.