Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

I will try not to. It's quite expensive for me (I'll also need new lenses), I'm not making money out of photography - so I'd want it to be a camera I would be happy with for several years. I'll try to wait until the early bugs will be discovered and fixed.
I won't wait for price cuts though.

P.S. Or perhaps common sense will prevail, and I'll decide APS-C is more than enough for my mediocre skills... yeah, right!

07-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
No. The value of a system is in the lenses (as Fuji understands). Some will think this heresy, but older film camera lenses are going to leave a lot to be desired on a full frame, high megapixel, DSLR.

Sorry, in my opinion you are incorrect about that. Here is why. The pixel density of 36 megapixels on full frame is the same as 16 megapixels on APSC . Any full frame film lens which works well on a K5 will continue to work well on FF digital. And certainly any FF film lens which works well on a K3 - which has a much higher pixel density than a K5 is going to work very well on the FF digital. You forget that we are throwing away most of the lines of resolution film era lens produce when we use them on APSC sensors; an FF digital will use all of the lines of resolution the film lens produce. I don't know who told you that about older NIkon lenses - but the people I have seen discuss it are very happy with the older NIkon film lenses on their high megapixel FF digital boxes.

And yes, I expect to be an early adopter.
07-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It will be funny if the Pentax full frame camera isn't a big seller, considering that every thread eventually turned into either a full frame or an equivalence thread over the last 3 years. The only thing is that I know that people like Falconeye and Jay Sherman already own Nikon full frame cameras., I guess the question is if they would sell those and come back.

On the other hand, APS-C is "good enough" for a lot of people and considering the difference in price, it is understandable if they choose to stick with it, even if it isn't the best.
Same here... I am more interested in the k-3 sequel with BSI sensor than the new FF (at least not initially when it is introduced).
07-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #64

A few more comments about older film era lenses are appropriate. In the early 1970s most photo enthusiasts shot black and white. While 35mm color film was limited to about 50 lp/mm resolution, Panatomic X - Kodak's ASA 32 speed black and white film - could resolve about 150 lp/mm. Lenses of the era fought each other to get as close to theoretical limitations of resolution as possible because of the very high resolving power of the best B&W films. This is why old SMC Takumars work so well on modern full frame Sony A7 series cameras. They will continue to work well on a FF Pentax. So much for that particular piece of troll FUD about old film era lenses not being good enough for modern digital bodies.

07-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Same here... I am more interested in the k-3 sequel with BSI sensor than the new FF (at least not initially when it is introduced).
Well, in most conditions, it's already hard to tell the difference in IQ between current APSC sensors and current full frame sensors. I expect that the improvement from current techno to BSI won't be easy to perceive.

---------- Post added 28-07-15 at 19:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
So much for that particular piece of troll FUD about old film era lenses not being good enough for modern digital bodies.
Interesting, in terms of resolving power, when lighting allowed, some years ago, I found my M50 1.7 to out-resolved most DA lenses that I owned. However, resistance to flare of the M50 1.7 was far from good.
07-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Interesting, in terms of resolving power, when lighting allowed, some years ago, I found my M50 1.7 to out-resolved most DA lenses that I owned. However, resistance to flare of the M50 1.7 was far from good.
I find the same with my A35-105. It seems the main culprit in that case is reflection between the sensor and the non-MC rear element surface. A little extra tweaking in PP is required, but obviously it would be better not to have to do that.
07-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be waiting to see what size, features, price and performance are like, and whether there are early bugs. There almost always are; the issue is whether they're just annoyances or major flaws - if it's a problem with some aspect of the camera I never use, I could be persuaded to overlook them or wait for a firmware fix. I have more than enough film-era lenses to get me started with a body-only purchase, most of which are KA mount compatible or better, so no Green Button trickery will be required, but if they've un-crippled the K mount on this thing then I'm much more likely to reach for my wallet earlier rather than later. Plus a year or so of sitting on my hands should be enough to let me see how the lens roadmap is really evolving.
07-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't for perhaps obvious reasons.

But, what if they built it and no one (except Adam) bought it for 6 months? That would be weird.

07-28-2015, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
what if they built it and no one (except Adam) bought it for 6 months? That would be weird.
Adam won't be alone, I promise you
07-28-2015, 11:42 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, there will be bugs to iron out, I may do some time down the track, but depends on price. Perhaps the next version a lesser model might be more affordable.
07-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #71
Forum Member

Im going to buy it early, but not immediatly. From January to February, Ill spend 5 or 6 weeks travelling in Thailand, Burma and Laos. Even if FF will be available before, in November or December, for my holidays in Asia Ill stick to my K-3, which is almost certainly smaller and weighs less than the upcoming FF. And I wont sell the K-3. In future I want to keep a WR lightweight-option for travelling. When youre a backpacker, the K-3 and a DA* 50-135/2.8 is heavy enough, but still better than a FF body with my beloved FA* 80-200/2.8
I guess I will buy the FF body in March, when Im back to Germany. There wont be a price drop, but maybe some bugs will be known then. This said, I dont expect major bugs on the FF. Ricoh spent a lot of time on developping the FF project and the K-3 didnt have any major bugs neither (except for mirror flapping, which occured twice in two years on my K-3).
Im really looking forward for spring and the new FF!
07-29-2015, 02:59 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
and whether there are early bugs.
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
No, there will be bugs to iron out,
Sadly, from recent experience, this is likely to be true.

But on a positive note, as asahi man says they have been developing the FF for several years, which should have given them lots of time to ensure quality. So I really hope Ricoh will be able to delivery a quality product with the FF.
07-29-2015, 03:06 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So I really hope Ricoh will be able to delivery a quality product with the FF.
Most definitely, I wish them the best success with it.
08-03-2015, 12:55 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Too early to say definitively, but I am quite cost sensitive so probably no. I might buy a used K-3 or K-3II when someone else goes Pentax FF. If the price is right.

I think im prepared enough lense-wise to the FF transition. A couple of lenses with a little vignetting is acceptable. (Samyang 8mm f/3,5 and Sigma 18-35mm f/1,8 both with hood off)
08-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am considering to buy one. But I'll wait for at least 3-6 months, because ...

... I want to find out, if there are still some problems.
... price could drop a bit within the first months.
... it gives me some more time to increase my savings.