Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You guys have been asking for this for years...and now it sounds like you won't be buying it? Makes no sense IMO!

I know I'll be getting one as soon as it's out. Going to be working with B&H / Adorama to see if we can get an exclusive deal for those who pre-order.
You seem disappointed that some Pentax users are perfectly happy with what they already have.

07-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In some respects the FF body, for me - could make a lot of sense. In other respects is does not. I do a lot of wide angle and ambient low light (night and astro), so the FF body would make sense. It would have the one stop advantage over the crop sensor, etc. But......
  • Judging from the two new monster lenses just rolled out at about 4 pounds each, the kit will be heavy. Then there is the expense for the premium lenses. It does appear that they are stacking up to be very good lenses.
  • I am trying to convince myself to put my manual focus lens up on the marketplace (at least the telephotos) since over the holidays, I have acquired a 60-250/f4 and the Sigma 18-35/f1l8 Neither of which are light weights.
  • These two lenses are as heavy as I really want to go. Plus, and I knew this at the time, they are essentially defining me into a crop sensor. I do expect Pentax to have a crop mode on the FF, so it's not like being frozen into either / or.
  • The cost is going to be higher than what I really want to pay for a hobby (at least at the outset). Camera bodies depreciate, while lenses tend to retain their value - at least to a degree. So, at this point I see the 2.5 year cushion as marking time, while watching to see what unfolds. This should bring a lot of clarity on the features and capabilities, and what approach would make the best sense.
  • Heck, if you early adopters come out with an absolutely stunning reports on the body, that makes a very compelling argument for it - sure I will consider it, right along with the next crop body. Which one will be right for me - I don't have the foggiest idea right now.
  • So, in the mean time - go take pictures!
I do hope that Ricoh/Pentax rolls out an absolutely flawless, very compelling feature rich, extraordinarily capable, full function body - that blows the competition out of the water.

Also, having Adam be pro-active in "priming the pump", with the potential of early deals for the forum members is absolutely terrific!!!

07-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You guys have been asking for this for years...and now it sounds like you won't be buying it? Makes no sense IMO!
It's probably a variation on Stockholm Syndrome: they've been held captive by APS-C for so long, they're denying the existence of another format. Some re-programming may be needed, but I'm sure that exposure to the reality of the new body will allow them to revert.

Seriously, the capability of the K-3 (the K-5ii/s also, to some extent) has shifted people's expectations of a 35FF body to a higher level, me included. Consequently, I'm happy to wait and see what the features, performance and price are before I decide when I'll buy. So, I'll probably (but not definitely) be an early majority buyer, rather than an early adopter, but I really doubt I'll not be buying.
07-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #34

I will buy it as soon as I have money for it. So it highly depends on the price of it if I am an early adopter or not.

I just sold my last APS-C lens (DA 20-40 which is great lens for APS-C) to fund FF body.

07-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #35

I'll buy one as soon as it is affordable for me. Haven't invested in other bodies since Pentax broke the news that it will finally release a FF-Body.
07-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It makes no sense for those who have been asking for it: I'm just not in that group.
07-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #37

I plan on picking up a FF but I think I will wait a few months to find out what others on the forum have to report. A good friend of mine and fellow forum member decided to "cheat" and bought me an MZ-S DF film camera. This will carry me over!

07-26-2015, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

I was totally happy with my film SLRs and the Tamron Lenses and such. My first Pentax was the Dslr1 or something like that. I bought it because and did not have the intention of giving up my film Slrs. I think that is called fear of change. Since then I no longer own any film cameras. I have had the K10-K100-K20 (which I loved dearly and felt I would never give that one up). I now have the K-30 for my backup and the K-3. Wildlife and Landscape are my love of photography. However: my first love of photography is family, Grand girls in dance and theater. The FF would give me better shots in the low light and Theater situations. I will wait for the reviews to come out and 6 months or so to see what happens. I have been saving for this since the purchase of my K-3 last year. My answer is yes.
07-26-2015, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #39
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's probably a variation on Stockholm Syndrome: they've been held captive by APS-C for so long, they're denying the existence of another format. Some re-programming may be needed, but I'm sure that exposure to the reality of the new body will allow them to revert.

Seriously, the capability of the K-3 (the K-5ii/s also, to some extent) has shifted people's expectations of a 35FF body to a higher level, me included. Consequently, I'm happy to wait and see what the features, performance and price are before I decide when I'll buy. So, I'll probably (but not definitely) be an early majority buyer, rather than an early adopter, but I really doubt I'll not be buying.
FF bodies are way more capable from an image quality perspective, and I'm sure the Pentax model will deliver on that point.

Anyway, with the number of folks who have picked up the K-3 II (you could argue that it brings nothing new to the table of practical significance), I'm sure the demand for the FF will be overwhelming (just like the demand for the 645Z). The FF aficionados are just keeping silent

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #40
Veteran Member

In my case it all depends of the starting price.. if is something that is in my budget ofcourse i will be.. BUT.. what bothers me about been an "early adopter" is how fast the Pentax prices are dropping with the latest new products.. I hate when i get something just "because" and the next day is cheaper.. I want a FF, I'll love to have it.. do I REALLY NEED IT right now?? mmm thats a little different.... if i can wait 2/3 maybe 4 months and save some money it would be great so i can adjust for new lenses... I know that every electronic drops the price kind of fast, but i have the feeling that the latest Pentax products are doing this faster than usual ( marketing strategy?? maybe ) .. so, it all depends.. might wait a little and see how is this "price" thing behaves.
07-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure the demand for the FF will be overwhelming (just like the demand for the 645Z). The FF aficionados are just keeping silent
I go back and forth (as you can see, I edited my earlier post). I expect the market uptake to be similar to the 645Z (distributor and dealer pre-orders were 2x the initial planned production run) and at first there weren't any available for several months that weren't pre-ordered.

I won't be surprised if that happens again.

At one point asahi man lamented that the FF had been pushed back to 2015 because every resource of Pentax had been redirected to 645Z.

[EDIT Aug 5]: On the other forum asahi man wrote he expects the EU release price to be €2,500. $2,750 if the market economics make a straight currency conversion the USD price is just exactly the price where I don't know whether it is too much money or not.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-05-2015 at 07:39 PM.
07-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I don't see myself pre-ordering because I want to see some independent reviews from places like Imaging Resources, DxOMark, etc. There is also a firmware update that comes out soon after. Then again, Adam just said that he may work something with Adorama and B&H for pre-order. Hmmm.... maybe, maybe. I have to see what the price is. If it's outside of my budget then no deal will help. Imagine a Porsche being 30% off. What a deal, right? I still couldn't afford it.

Money and price are fickle things. Prices will drop no matter what - that is for sure - and they drop throughout the life cycle of the product right up to where only used units are available. I can't wait forever. At some point I pay for getting access sooner rather than later and for the simple fact of "having". That has some worth and value too. The shutter button will be cycling up and down a lot to make sure I get the most bang for the buck no matter what the price is.

I bought my K-3 bundle with a Flucard, battery grip, and DA 50mm back in Jan and that was after a price drop. The price has dropped even more since the release of the K-3 II. Do I regret my purchase knowing the price has dropped? Not at all - not one bit. I've enjoyed these past 6 months tremendously.

Let's see what the price shakes out to be.
07-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I know I'll be getting one as soon as it's out. Going to be working with B&H / Adorama to see if we can get an exclusive deal for those who pre-order.
I'll buy it...
07-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #44

I switched to Pentax because it was smaller/lighter than Canikon and this was before the rise of mirrorless.

I might and probably will get a Pentax FF but it won't be before 2018 or something. Still trying to justify my 2x K3
07-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Many of us are eagerly awaiting the future release of the Pentax full frame camera. It is something we have wished for for years. We have a treasure trove of lenses just sitting in storage, waiting to be used on this new camera.

My question of you is will YOU be one of the early adopters of this camera? Will you pre-order one before the reviews come out and before it is even available?

Yes, it is exciting to be one of the first to get your hands on one of the first models of an exciting new camera. But there are potential pitfalls to being an early adopter.

I got one of the first Pentax K3II cameras. A few weeks after I bought it, the price dropped, and there was a recall on the GPS mechanism because on certain early serial numbers the defective GPS caused the entire camera to lock up. Pentax has that problem fixed now, but it was certainly a bit of a hassle for us early adopters.

So, when the Full Frame comes out, I believe that I'll wait a while to order mine till the dust settles and the bugs and kinks get worked out. How about you, are you going to rush in and buy one or wait a bit??
Depends on the price, how much MP it packs and how soon it comes out.

As I am doing more landscape work, I want the 645z but it is out of my price range. Sony's new 42mp camera is compelling as it would allow me to use all my FA lenses. I am willing to wait for a Pentax FF, but not for another 2 years!!!

I have this nagging feeling that Pentax will surprise us with something unique as they did with the K3 and k3II. I hope it is at least the latest Sony 42MP sensor.