Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Denali_Mark Quote
I plan on picking up a FF but I think I will wait a few months to find out what others on the forum have to report. A good friend of mine and fellow forum member decided to "cheat" and bought me an MZ-S DF film camera. This will carry me over!
What is "DF"? I have the MZ-S camera, but unsure what the DF designation means.

08-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #77
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Will You Be An "Early Adopter" of the Pentax Full Frame?
How does gagging for it sound...
08-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, if there are no major initial bugs and the price is reasonable. I've been extensively using beautiful vintage Pentax lenses on a Canon 6D and it will be SO nice to finally use these on their home system and with SR!
08-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was originally not going to be an early adopter. If the rumored release of Oct/Nov was to be true I was originally going to wait until March. Then I wasn't going to get it at all. Right now I feel like Pre-ordering it. It's hard to say until I see a spec sheet.

08-10-2015, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #80
Veteran Member

I will probably be one Depends on the bank balance

Because let's face it, it will be announce at 2700$, 3 months later it will be 2400$, and for the summer it will be 2200. And the more time will pass, the more money i'll have and it will become cheaper. atsome points both value should be equal
08-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Yes, Yess & YESSS

But "early" might mean a few months this time, depending on the downright figure on the invoice
I have so many A*/FA*/DFA lenses waiting for a sooo looong time !!!
08-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You guys have been asking for this for years...and now it sounds like you won't be buying it? Makes no sense IMO!

I know I'll be getting one as soon as it's out. Going to be working with B&H / Adorama to see if we can get an exclusive deal for those who pre-order.
Awesome, Adam. I will be watching for this.

I'm usually not an early adopter, I wait for price drops, bug fixes, etc.

However, this time around I've got senior portraits of my son and an upcoming safari. If there are problems, I'll happily shoot with my K3. If everything is as expected, I'll do most of the portrait shooting full frame, and use the new camera for wider shots and the K-3 for long-range shots on safari. With two bodies, there'll be less messing around with lenses, and more looking around just experiencing Africa. Looking forward to the new camera.

08-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #83
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
If I were in the market I would wait at least 6 months.

If I was really extra in the market I would wait until they had an on board flash.

However I am very satisfied with my k-5IIs and in addition don't really want to go full frame as half my lenses would be obsolete.

When I upgraded over a year ago the choice was the k-3 or k-5IIs. I'm glad I got the k-5.
I upgraded to the K-3 it's a fantastic camera. Can't fault the K-5 Mk. II though.
08-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You guys have been asking for this for years...and now it sounds like you won't be buying it? Makes no sense IMO!

I know I'll be getting one as soon as it's out. Going to be working with B&H / Adorama to see if we can get an exclusive deal for those who pre-order.
There are a number of us who have picked up a FF body in a different mount and now want to see what Ricoh can bring to the table. The market has changed a lot over the last couple of years. FF bodies have become much more affordable. Cameras like the 6D, D600/610, and A7 have shifted the market. If you own a lot of old K/M/A glass, the A7 line is really hard to beat. A lot of the people who have been asking for years have moved on to other options.

Ricoh is starting with a clean slate, so I think the offering is going to be very compelling. Ricoh can't afford to put low quality equipment on the market. If Ricoh can give me fast AF/accurate in a compact, high quality package, I will probably pre-order one. For people who shoot portraits and wedding the eye AF and tracking is a big deal. Can Ricoh implement a 1 or 2 MP RGB sensor to replace the 86K RGB sensor and enable it recognize eyes? I have not found the face AF detection in my K-3 to be a noticeable improvement. The facial recognition feature of mirrorless has real advantages. Can DSLRs implement this feature?

I don't think Sony has brought enough processing power to the A7rII to really take advantage of the technology. Probably because they have real battery limitations with the current A7 battery. The rumored A9 should have a bigger battery and a lot more processing power. What is Ricoh going to bring to the table other than a really good Sony sensor?
08-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #85
Pentaxian

I bought the *istD when it came out, never regretted it. I will buy a FF when it comes out.
08-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends - I plan to wait a few months then buy, but if there's a good pre order deal... maybe? It would be great to use my FF primes with it!
08-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the pre-order list opened today I would buy it. But I'd have to wait to get the zooms.

That's probably backwards but I think the market reception will be similar to the 645z. Get in early or get in line.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-14-2015 at 07:41 PM.
08-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
There are a number of us who have picked up a FF body in a different mount and now want to see what Ricoh can bring to the table. The market has changed a lot over the last couple of years. FF bodies have become much more affordable. Cameras like the 6D, D600/610, and A7 have shifted the market. If you own a lot of old K/M/A glass, the A7 line is really hard to beat. A lot of the people who have been asking for years have moved on to other options.

Ricoh is starting with a clean slate, so I think the offering is going to be very compelling. Ricoh can't afford to put low quality equipment on the market. If Ricoh can give me fast AF/accurate in a compact, high quality package, I will probably pre-order one. For people who shoot portraits and wedding the eye AF and tracking is a big deal. Can Ricoh implement a 1 or 2 MP RGB sensor to replace the 86K RGB sensor and enable it recognize eyes? I have not found the face AF detection in my K-3 to be a noticeable improvement. The facial recognition feature of mirrorless has real advantages. Can DSLRs implement this feature?

I don't think Sony has brought enough processing power to the A7rII to really take advantage of the technology. Probably because they have real battery limitations with the current A7 battery. The rumored A9 should have a bigger battery and a lot more processing power. What is Ricoh going to bring to the table other than a really good Sony sensor?
Winder,

I agree with your statement. What is Ricoh going to bring to the table? I for one am ready to jump ship to get the A7RIi resolution but the resolution is not the only thing. I intially did not like the EVF concept but the idea is growing on me. I had to do a shoot with my K3 and manual lenses in bright sunlight. The process was painful as I was not able to take advantage of the live view due to strong sunlight and my poor close up vision. I ended up using the rain cover from my backpack to use it as shield/cover ala old 8x10 large format style. I felt stupid as I got a lot stares from the passersby. That was one situation that an EVF with focus peaking and magnification would have made life a lot easier.

So I don't know what Ricoh or for that matter Nikon and Canon are going to do with these really cool technologies that come with mirrorless cameras only.

I think DSLR days are numbered. So what are all these manufacturers who are heavily invested in DSLRs going to do?

Last edited by btnapa; 08-14-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Typo
08-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Winder,

I agree with your statement. What is Ricoh going to bring to the table? I for one am ready to jump ship to get the A7RIi resolution but the resolution is not the only thing. I intially did not like the EVF concept but the idea is growing on me. I had to do a shoot with my K3 and manual lenses in bright sunlight. The process was painful as I was not able to take advantage of the live view due to strong sunlight and my poor close up vision. I ended up using the rain cover from my backpack to use it as shield/cover ala old 8x10 large format style. I felt stupid as I got a lot stares from the passersby. That was one situation that an EVF with focus peaking and magnification would have made life a lot easier.

So I don't know what Ricoh or for that matter Nikon and Canon are going to do with these really cool technologies that come with mirrorless cameras only.

I think DSLR days are numbered. So what are all these manufacturers who are heavily invested in DSLRs going to do?
I came from an EVF with the EM10. Pros and cons to both, but holy cow the SLR is great for SPEED. Everyone pondering that it's the end of mirrors.... there's some great things about them too. I couldn't believe when I tried my first SLR, how fast they are compared to a screen or EVF.

That said, there are definitely pros to a EVF too!

Me, I would love to see more digital cameras with rangefinder viewers, and a screen on the back. Or a rangefinder + a secondary EVF. But... like many products, feature development for digital cameras is pretty conservative.
08-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I bought the *istD when it came out, never regretted it. I will buy a FF when it comes out.
Hmmm! Would it be possible to compare the number of pre-orders for something like the *ist D vs. the FF? The results would have to be normalized but maybe we can extract an adoption rate of the two bodies.

Probably too hard to do ...