Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I think DSLR days are numbered. So what are all these manufacturers who are heavily invested in DSLRs going to do?
I think you will see DSLRs take a step forward and find a way to integrate many of the features of the mirrorless into the DSLR. Hybrid viewfinder or holographic projection for a live histogram. Ricoh has a switchable mirror patent that could make things interesting.

BSI sensors suffer from heat issues and mirrorless cameras always run warm since the sensor is always turned on. A BSI in a DSLR runs a lot cooler. We should see better IQ from the 42MP BSI sensor in a Ricoh FF than in the A7rII.

08-14-2015, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think you will see DSLRs take a step forward and find a way to integrate many of the features of the mirrorless into the DSLR. Hybrid viewfinder or holographic projection for a live histogram. Ricoh has a switchable mirror patent that could make things interesting.

BSI sensors suffer from heat issues and mirrorless cameras always run warm since the sensor is always turned on. A BSI in a DSLR runs a lot cooler. We should see better IQ from the 42MP BSI sensor in a Ricoh FF than in the A7rII.
I have seen IQ degrade when using the Lv in the K5 for 5 minutes when one is trying to push the shadows
08-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Winder,

I hope so. I am not a big fan of EVFs but the advantages cannot be ignored either. Wanting to do more nature work and not being able to afford the 645z, I can't wait to see the Pentax FF. I am so tempted by the A7RII but the price is high too. To see a 42MP Pentax FF in the low $2K range will be my ticket to hi-res.
08-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To see a 42MP Pentax FF in the low $2K range will be my ticket to hi-res.
if $2,200, 24MP or maybe 36Mp is my guess. If it is class leading or equaling it will be the newest sensor (42Mp BSI?) @ $2,800-ish.

Unless there are two.

08-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Winder,

I hope so. I am not a big fan of EVFs but the advantages cannot be ignored either. Wanting to do more nature work and not being able to afford the 645z, I can't wait to see the Pentax FF. I am so tempted by the A7RII but the price is high too. To see a 42MP Pentax FF in the low $2K range will be my ticket to hi-res.
The A7rII is over priced for a still camera. It is the 4K feature set that is driving up the price. The A7s has been a big success for Sony with the video crowd, and the A7rII is going to sell very well in this segment. I don't think you will get the 42MP sensor in a low $2,000 body. BSI sensors are more expensive to make, and the new technology will demand a premium in the market. If Ricoh is going to implement a hybrid OVF or some form of holographic projection, that costs money. More money than a simple OVF or EVF. A high quality OVF is already more expensive than an EVF. I would be happy with 36MP or even 24MP if they get the AF right.

---------- Post added 08-15-15 at 10:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I have seen IQ degrade when using the Lv in the K5 for 5 minutes when one is trying to push the shadows
My biggest issue with Sony and what is keeping me from buying into they system is the lack of loss-less RAW and the drop to 12-bit under certain conditions. I still don't think they system is where it needs to be. That said, my A7II has phenomenal IQ so I have no reason to complain. Sony needs more processing power and bigger batteries before they FE system can really compete with DSLRs.
08-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #96
Veteran Member

holographic projection for a live histogram
If Ricoh is going to implement a hybrid OVF
No hologram needed. Patent US 2007/0019945 A1 [PDF - 1MB] spells out the precise mechanism - a 1mm thick full colour electroluminescent display on top of the focus screen that is able to be transparent when no voltage is applied and can display a full electronic image.

It will be interesting, however, to see if they can make this work without everything being clunky, because it essentially will be Live View on display in there.

They have a lot of discussion about related mirror issues in the patent, but my eyes glazed over around p-7 [0067] when they started describing 'Lift Mirror Process' and light shield screens in relation to the electroluminescent display.
08-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #97
Pentaxian

The A7rII is over priced for a still camera. It is the 4K feature set that is driving up the price. The A7s has been a big success for Sony with the video crowd, and the A7rII is going to sell very well in this segment. I don't think you will get the 42MP sensor in a low $2,000 body. BSI sensors are more expensive to make, and the new technology will demand a premium in the market. If Ricoh is going to implement a hybrid OVF or some form of holographic projection, that costs money. More money than a simple OVF or EVF. A high quality OVF is already more expensive than an EVF. I would be happy with 36MP or even 24MP if they get the AF right.

My biggest issue with Sony and what is keeping me from buying into they system is the lack of loss-less RAW and the drop to 12-bit under certain conditions. I still don't think they system is where it needs to be. That said, my A7II has phenomenal IQ so I have no reason to complain. Sony needs more processing power and bigger batteries before they FE system can really compete with DSLRs.
I would love to have the new 42mp sensor in any FF DSLR
At this time I am far from being a EVF kind of guy and is one of the reasons why I have no interest in the Sony
If and when pentax spits out a FF with this sensor in a DLSR it would peak my interest but I have the feeling its going to be in a price bracket many will frown on, If AF is on par with other high res cameras in this price bracket it may be a welcome addition to my bag and saves on me buying a 300 F2.8 lens and a macro 100 F2.8 till then a we can do is wait and see.

08-16-2015, 04:42 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You guys have been asking for this for years...and now it sounds like you won't be buying it? Makes no sense IMO!

I know I'll be getting one as soon as it's out. Going to be working with B&H / Adorama to see if we can get an exclusive deal for those who pre-order.
I'm late in responding, but here's my take, FWIW. A lot of the vocal supporters of full frame have already left for other brands. Others, wisely looking at Pentax's somewhat dismal record of bringing products to market with defects are leery of shelling out that amount of money, whatever the price ends up being, for a defective product that may or may not get fixed. I'm not bashing Pentax, just stating facts. Some, like me, are simply waiting to see if the benefit of full frame would justify the cost for non professionals who are in photography as a hobby as opposed to source of income, especially considering the excellent results that can already be achieved with the K3 line.
08-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #99
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 08-15-15 at 10:08 PM ----------

Winder,

With the A7RII, I think Sony is doing a Canon on us. They are overpricing the camera because they can. Needless to say Pentax has lots of reasons to keep the price reasonable. They have always been fair with their pricing anyway. So to see a FF with 42MP in the $2,200-2,500 range is not unreasonable.
08-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Winder,

With the A7RII, I think Sony is doing a Canon on us. They are overpricing the camera because they can. Needless to say Pentax has lots of reasons to keep the price reasonable. They have always been fair with their pricing anyway. So to see a FF with 42MP in the $2,200-2,500 range is not unreasonable.
Its hard to say they are over pricing it currently since they have sold all they can make at that price and they are on back order. I think the price falls to the $2,500 range once the A7s and A7r inventories have cleared and first adapters have jumped into the market.
08-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So to see a FF with 42MP in the $2,200-2,500 range is not unreasonable.
What are the full spec's for the camera at that price? Does it compete spec-wise with the
  • D610?
  • D750?
  • D810?
  • 5D MkIII?
  • 5-DS?
  • 1-D?
08-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No. Recent k3 purchase makes that highly unlikely.
08-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I would love to have the new 42mp sensor in any FF DSLR
The practical difference between 36mp and 42mp is very small. For the price the 36mp sensor is going to be the way to go. From a marketing standpoint 42MP is going to make a splash.
08-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #104
Pentaxian

The practical difference between 36mp and 42mp is very small. For the price the 36mp sensor is going to be the way to go. From a marketing standpoint 42MP is going to make a splash.
For some unknown reason I thought that the a FF 42mp camera would give the pixel density of a 24mp cropped my mistake, unless there is better QE, the current 36mp sensors at this time would offer the pentax user the most cost effective high res FF body out there.
08-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #105
Veteran Member

For some unknown reason I thought that the a FF 42mp camera would give the pixel density of a 24mp cropped my mistake, unless there is better QE, the current 36mp sensors at this time would offer the pentax user the most cost effective high res FF body out there.
I think the 24mp APS-C sensor would equate to a 55MP +/- FF sensor. The surface area of the FF sensor is 2.33 times that of an APS-C. Sony says the 42mp sensor out performs the 36MP, but the reviews have the D810 ahead of the A7rII in DR and ISO.