Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will You Be An "Early Adopter" of the Pentax Full Frame?

Many of us are eagerly awaiting the future release of the Pentax full frame camera. It is something we have wished for for years. We have a treasure trove of lenses just sitting in storage, waiting to be used on this new camera.

My question of you is will YOU be one of the early adopters of this camera? Will you pre-order one before the reviews come out and before it is even available?

Yes, it is exciting to be one of the first to get your hands on one of the first models of an exciting new camera. But there are potential pitfalls to being an early adopter.

I got one of the first Pentax K3II cameras. A few weeks after I bought it, the price dropped, and there was a recall on the GPS mechanism because on certain early serial numbers the defective GPS caused the entire camera to lock up. Pentax has that problem fixed now, but it was certainly a bit of a hassle for us early adopters.

So, when the Full Frame comes out, I believe that I'll wait a while to order mine till the dust settles and the bugs and kinks get worked out. How about you, are you going to rush in and buy one or wait a bit??

07-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I were in the market I would wait at least 6 months.

If I was really extra in the market I would wait until they had an on board flash.

However I am very satisfied with my k-5IIs and in addition don't really want to go full frame as half my lenses would be obsolete.

When I upgraded over a year ago the choice was the k-3 or k-5IIs. I'm glad I got the k-5.
07-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
No......!
07-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why? I have a K-3.

07-26-2015, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No and NO & NO!

I upgraded to a K5IIs during the holidays last year - with the extended warranty. With 7 months gone - I am good for at least another 2 years 5 months. During that time I will be taking pictures while the early adopters will be out early adopting.... Some time out in the future when I am needing to upgrade again (whenever - but feeling no pressure or need right now at all), the FF will be out and about, along with the K3II replacement (whenever that will happen).
  • There will be the 6th generation sensor out, the prices for all of these will have settled down, and there will be a whole new set of sensors and stuff that will be debated.
  • There will be a lot of new technology that may work out well - some that will be compelling, and some that will be so, so...
  • The bugs will have been worked out - perhaps.
  • The lens roadmap will be in better shape, for the platforms.
  • The third party lens support will be a bit better known.
Plus, I found that I like being about one model behind, or updating when I have the need with the model that is being replaced.

Be happy - take pictures...

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-26-2015 at 10:17 AM.
07-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Only if the list price is realistic, and the additional capabilities seem useful. The FF has to deliver some practical benefit above what I can get from my current Pentaxes.
07-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Mmmmmmhhh..... no, i have to import the camera to my country and forget the warranties, given the problems of the K3v2, i will wait some months to see any posible problem.

If the value of the camera doesn't convice me, maybe ill go for a K3v2

07-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Not an early purchaser of ff body. I may rent a ff body for hands-on evaluation. Also I may rent a 645Z system on occasions.
07-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will eventually buy one, but only after I have fully amortized the cost of my K-3. I figure Winter of 2016-17 at the earliest.

Steve
07-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
Forum Member

I'm not in the market from either a finanical or ability standpoint. The capabilities of my K-3 and K-50 are beyond my current abilities. If Pentax is doing it I'm sure its gonna be first class all the way, but owning one won't make me any better of a photographer than I am currently w/my APSC gear.
07-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will eventually buy one, but only after I have fully amortized the cost of my K-3. I figure Winter of 2016-17 at the earliest.

Steve
The ability to mount a FF lens and shoot as it was designed is appealing, but not $2,700 appealing. I can buy something like 4000 color film prints or Portra negatives developed and scanned to CD with that money. By late 2016 maybe the economics will be more favorable.

[EDIT:] Calling BS on myself. I'll order one as soon as possible - possibility being altered regularly by my weakness for K-series lenses that keep coming available at previously unheard of prices.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-26-2015 at 12:42 PM.
07-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I thought the anti aliasing filter was important even though I had no idea what that meant enough people said it was important.

I also just had a bad feeling about the k-3. Like I bought a 99 bmw once 6 years old. All the problems in the series had been fixed by the last year of the series.

I just had a " feeling ".
07-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Many of us are eagerly awaiting the future release of the Pentax full frame camera. It is something we have wished for for years. We have a treasure trove of lenses just sitting in storage, waiting to be used on this new camera.

My question of you is will YOU be one of the early adopters of this camera? Will you pre-order one before the reviews come out and before it is even available?

Yes, it is exciting to be one of the first to get your hands on one of the first models of an exciting new camera. But there are potential pitfalls to being an early adopter.

I got one of the first Pentax K3II cameras. A few weeks after I bought it, the price dropped, and there was a recall on the GPS mechanism because on certain early serial numbers the defective GPS caused the entire camera to lock up. Pentax has that problem fixed now, but it was certainly a bit of a hassle for us early adopters.

So, when the Full Frame comes out, I believe that I'll wait a while to order mine till the dust settles and the bugs and kinks get worked out. How about you, are you going to rush in and buy one or wait a bit??
Preface/my story.... I'm an admitted "gadget junky." I started as an ex-freelancer after leaving the service as a combat photo guy (601st Photo Flt., Thailand-Vietnam '66-'70), I only started using my circa 1970s Pentax lenses around 2009 when I bought a used ist body. I then upgraded to a K10, and again, in 2013 to the K5iis. In late 2013, I had just returned from Brasil (family visit and coffee trip), and shortly after my return, "finally gave in" to buying the K5iis body. I was one of the last to pay a slightly reduced price. Shortly thereafter the K3 came out. My K5iis is OK. The only issue is "ME", as I just haven't had time to really deep-learn the camera. I've always believed a truly competent photographer is an artist. And if really great, can create incredible images with just about anything. I've used the K5iis for family events, sports, and various special events. Now, ironically, two years later I'm considering grabbing a K3ii at the slightly reduced price. But I'm also wanting to see the price of the FF, and the then-adjusted price of the K3ii. I'm guessing it'll be last quarter 2015. (?) One Pentax user, in another forum, shared supporting opinions for "holding off" on the FF. I would enjoy seeing a collection of pro's and con's in one place. If anyone knows of such a post... I'd appreciate the share. I just got back to this forum today after a very long absence. So I'll do a little more searching, but didn't want to re-invent the wheel. I'll monitor this post. Thanks from SoCal.
07-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alsterling Quote
I just got back to this forum today after a very long absence. So I'll do a little more searching, but didn't want to re-invent the wheel. I'll monitor this post. Thanks from SoCal.
Good idea. The issue has been discussed to death for the past 6 months. Your will find plenty to read in the various threads on PF. Welcome back!
07-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just couple of thoughts;
It's supposed to be a "pro" body, so I guess features will be well tested before release.
It's supposed to be a "pro" body, so each individual body will be well tested before shipped!(?)
It's supposed to be a "pro" body, so it will have all the advanced features Pentax can build at the moment.
It's supposed to be a "pro" body and as I'm no pro, I will not be one of the first to upgrade, unless it's going to fill all three B's: "Bueno, Bonito, Barato".
So; not pre-ordering, will wait, might even skip this one completely, though I have few great FF-lenses.