Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Legacy lenses on new digital FF

I just happened upon an interesting pair of blog posts regarding using lenses on cameras other than what they were designed originally designed to be paired with. It appears that basically we can count on our Legacy FF lenses designed for film to be a bit less than optimal than NEW FF lenses designed for digital sensors due to the glass and filters placed in front of the sensor.

I know personally I'm not going to freak out about it, but it is something to ponder and consider as we break out all the old glass and start pixel peeping when the great and grand FF arrives.

It also makes me wonder about third party lenses i.e. Sigma, Tamron that apply one lens design across different mounts.

The Glass in the Path: Sensor Stacks and Adapted lenses
LensRentals.com - The Glass in the Path: Sensor Stacks and Adapted Lenses

and his follow up

Sensor Stack Thickness: When Does it Matter
LensRentals.com - Sensor Stack Thickness: When Does It Matter?

>>>>> EDIT <<<<<
oops already discussed
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/265241-sens...rn-lenses.html

Last edited by txsbluesguy; 07-30-2015 at 09:13 AM.
07-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
people have been putting ff legacy glass on the sony a7* series cameras for over a year and a half now, and some of the old primes hold up very well.

what's best with old vs. new is a much bigger issue than just sensor stack speculation.

for instance, manufacturing defects like decentering can give you far worse performance on a new lens than you'll get with a good copy of an old prime.

and there are a lot of brand new decentered lenses out there.
07-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shush. You're ruining the fantasies of the FA Limited crowd.
07-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read the first article. So interesting! I had no idea. I wonder if the removal of the AA filter on recent Pentax cameras has any suck impact on lenses designed with an AA filter in the way. Or, is there clear glass or something like that replacing the AA filter keeping the sensor stack thickness the same?

07-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I wonder if the removal of the AA filter on recent Pentax cameras has any suck impact on lenses designed with an AA filter in the way.
I doubt this is the case since the K-5IIs (without AA filter) is reportedly sharper than the K-5II (with AA filter). I've owned both cameras at different times so it's difficult for me to judge the difference in IQ of the same lenses used on both.
07-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The entire thing is just a different compromise with which to deal. No technology is perfect and no 'answer' is absolute. I'll figure out my legacy lenses and use them where they're useful. That's the fun part of this for me.

Elsewhere I'll buy a new lens if need be.

And if many people are disappointed and feel a need to sell their treasures, well, that's only bad if you're a seller.
07-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
...and start pixel peeping...
That's the root of the problem in a nutshell. Don't pixel peep. Enjoy your gear. Enjoy your images. Bugger the pixels.

07-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Forum Member

I think we can be pretty confident that these lenses will perform (in the middle of the frame)exactly the same as they do on crop cameras. It's not like trying legacy glass on digital is new just because an FF is coming. Obviously we'll finally get to see the performance at the edges and corners, but the center won't suddenly change.
07-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a modified A7 and beginning a running review on what sort of difference it makes on legacy lenses.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/300...stacks-up.html

At this point, its still early to conclude, but my current feelings are.
1. Not all lenses will see significant improvements
2. Wides, 24mm and wider, more likely affected by the thickness than longer FL.
3. There are tradeoffs (color temp, glass corrosion resistance, etc)
4. For the geek, thinner is probably less harm than thicker.

The following comment is based on stock A7 with many uwa.
Generally new uwa are better than old ones.
28mm and above, generally no issues.
07-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
That's the root of the problem in a nutshell. Don't pixel peep. Enjoy your gear. Enjoy your images. Bugger the pixels.
40 years ago almost all images were viewed as prints from a proper distance. Only a magazine editor would carefully use a 10x loupe to examine a transparency or negative before buying the image for print.

Today anyone can use a mouse to do the same thing.
07-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I read the first article. So interesting! I had no idea. I wonder if the removal of the AA filter on recent Pentax cameras has any suck impact on lenses designed with an AA filter in the way. Or, is there clear glass or something like that replacing the AA filter keeping the sensor stack thickness the same?
I believe the idea was to reduce the suck.