Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Flash System for New Full Frame + Lens

One of my major frustrations with Pentax DSLR is the lack of a flash control system integrated in the camera body itself. Would love to see them integrate a Nikon style Creative Lighting System in the body of the rumored FF camera. Ricoh could even go a step further and make it radio vs optically controlled via Canon.

Would love for them to bring the Tokina 24-70 f2.8 AT-X and AT-X 70-200mm f/4 PRO FX VCM-S as Pentax FF OEM lens as the did with their introduction of the DA* lens (16-50 and 50-135 and others). They need to keep their prices for these lens in line with Tokina too. It does not make sense to price the lens in line with Nikon and Canon since it would be cheaper to manufacture the lens without stabilization in the lens.

Personal opinion: Don't think we will see the FF in 2015. My guess in March 2016.

08-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
AT-X 70-200mm f/4 PRO FX VCM-S as Pentax FF OEM lens
Maybe. But it would need some work by Pentax to fix some of the flaws of that lens revealed by Lenstip. Application of HD lens coatings, improvements to the AF motor etc would need to be done.
08-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for pointing out the article hadn't seen it before. Sure hope the reviewer got a bad copy of the lens and they all aren't all that way. My first 16-50 was a total disaster right out of the box. I took it directly back to the store with in 30 minutes of unpacking. Number two was outstanding. Number 3 went back for repair 3 times before they finally got it right. Quality Control has not been a strong point by any of the camera manufactures lately.

You are correct to point out the need to revamp the cosmetics of the lens and focusing systems between Tokina and Pentax. You will remember that only the optics of the original Pentax DA* and Tokina were the same. The cosmetics and drive systems were entirely different. My guess is that the lens elements were designed and made in Japan by Tokina and shipped to Pentax factories off shore for finally assembly.
08-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Would love for them to bring the Tokina 24-70 f2.8 AT-X
Judging by the images from this recent review of the new Tokina AT-X 24-70mm F2.8 PRO FX (on a D810), the resolution seems to be OK (maybe not wide-open) and the flare issues that plagued the Lenstip Tokina 70-200 f4 test seem to be absent.

So if Pentax are able to adapt this lens for themselves, it might be an OK performer.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/lens_review_2/20150806_715044.html

08-09-2015, 03:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

You will remember that only the optics of the original Pentax DA* and Tokina were the same. The cosmetics and drive systems were entirely different. My guess is that the lens elements were designed and made in Japan by Tokina and shipped to Pentax factories off shore for finally assembly.
Somewhere in this forum someone wrote that designwise, the optics were by Pentax, the build/mechanicals by Tokina.
08-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
Don't know for sure about who made the actual lens elements, but I had both the Nikon version of the 16-50 and 50-150 Tokina and Pentax DA* versions of the lens. The Tokina versions were all made in Japan. My original Pentax DA* version of the 16-50 was made in Vietnam along with my current copy.