Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
As I was researching some stuff I stumbled upon interesting video on opinion that FF DSLR might be obsolete to FF MILC. I wonder if Pentax would be also considering this and if we would get FF MILC (one day ) - especially since Pentax has none at the moment.

I know that DSLR vs. MILC is heated discussion with lot of pro and cons, but as Pentax is late catching CANIKON FF, do you think they would be catching up on Sony as well? Would that make sense?

Personally, I am ready to drop the mirror, but I wonder if there is interest by Pentaxians for FF MILC.

Either way, I am looking forward for FF as I am still happily using K5 and ready to swap to FF when comes the time.

How I turned from Canon to Sony, or why DSLR is dead - YouTube
I haven't yet found an EV that compares to an optical viewfinder ...and Pentax has a good one.

08-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

As I was researching some stuff I stumbled upon interesting video on opinion that FF DSLR might be obsolete to FF MILC.
The correct title is: "How I switched systems and I can't convince myself I did the right thing unless I convince the entire world first"

Ignore the MILC propaganda, it's all BS. There's place for both viewfinder types on the market, and each has strengths and weaknesses.
08-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good EVFs are fine at this point. They still struggle with action and low light tracking, but they have come along way. They do have strengths, in that they allow for focusing aids, histogram in the viewfinder, etc. I don't really want a lot of that stuff to clutter up the viewfinder, but with an OVF, you don't even have the option.

I'm sure that over time, pentamirrors will be replaced by EVFs, particularly if it can be done relatively cheaply. It is the top end cameras which have really nice pentaprism OVFs that I think will be the place where OVFs hang on the longest.
08-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Photos: Albums
I love my K-01 and want to see a Pentax FF MILC with a short register distance, but with an optional K adapter with full automation. Best of both worlds that way.

08-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I thought the Ricoh said in one of the interviews last year that the Q was going to be it for mirror-less. I doubt they would release a larger sensor MILC system so soon after saying that.

Perhaps in the future if Full-Frame does well in the first place.
08-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The correct title is: "How I switched systems and I can't convince myself I did the right thing unless I convince the entire world first"

Ignore the MILC propaganda, it's all BS. There's place for both viewfinder types on the market, and each has strengths and weaknesses.

Not bad. Except I never switched the system. As Pentax had a severe limitations in video - yes, I was questioning why I did not pick Canon. Its annoying to have lenses and not to be able to adapt them, cause its Pentax. Its annoying to not to be able to hack camera cause its Pentax and its limitations, while as stills they are marvelous. Its annoying to pay extra cause its Pentax and has much less 3rd party support or its expensive as well as its difficult to just get it in EU.

I have to use dedicated video - film camera and got my Black Magic Pocket for 460, 3 month old with 1 use under belt. It serves well as small semi-pro camera I can take anywhere and get lot out of it. I wish I could find good focal reducer for my FA 20-35 and use it on BMPCC.

But as any investment I do in/for future has to be versatile, cost effective and light. I was shooting campaign for dance fest. on lent A7 recently and it was great experience - not just sensor, but whole set is great. To be fair, my K5 hold the ground and I do not care what I shoot on as soon as I can get what I need with good quality.
08-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The one who made the video did, he moved to Sony - and he's doing exactly what I described. If you want to take a decision, do it for your own reasons; not for someone's "my choice is the correct one!" BS.

What is difficult to get in EU?
08-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There is probably a market for such a camera among "slow" photographers, who aren't concerned about blazing fast predictive or tracking AF, or any AF at all, but who want the best possible image quality and functionality that they can get, and it's quite possible that a 35FF sensor in a mirrorless body could work, if designed with this in mind. I've long thought that the style of the Rollei SL2000 was a good starting point that would allow the K-mount to be reused, while providing flexibility with EVFs and LCD screen positioning, but I doubt it would be something that we'd see in the near future.
Slow-I shoot dance performances and thats generally dark and fast. I struggle more with ISO performance than AF. Bit fidly but shooting with prefocusing, Dof and and hyperfocal does it for me. Close to total dark most of AF systems have problems.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2015 at 04:02 ----------

The one who made the video did, he moved to Sony - and he's doing exactly what I described. If you want to take a decision, do it for your own reasons; not for someone's "my choice is the correct one!" BS.

What is difficult to get in EU?
If you dont mind paying extra premium and wait long time - nothing.
There are barely any shops having Pentax gear. So its inet shopping.

08-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
I have yet to see an electronic viewfinder or "live" screen that does not have a perceptible lag in it. I find that very annoying. I use my K3 and K5 with live view for still life studio and art copy work, where nothing should be moving, but rarely in any other situation.
I also find those EVF & screens impossible to use in any kind of sun.
Give me a good, all glass system for a view finder any time.

my 2₵
08-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #25
Pentaxian

If you dont mind paying extra premium and wait long time - nothing.
There are barely any shops having Pentax gear. So its inet shopping.
The EU is quite big, perhaps this is a problem in Slovakia but not so much in other countries? You can find competitive prices, once you take into account that we include VAT and the U.S. stores don't.
08-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #26

Original Poster
The EU is quite big, perhaps this is a problem in Slovakia but not so much in other countries? You can find competitive prices, once you take into account that we include VAT and the U.S. stores don't.

Hmmm: I talk about: Austria, Germany, France, Nethelands, Belgium, Slovakia, Czech rep. and and others.... There is still huge problem with service which rules out Pentax for lot of distributors as well as with customer support. Albeit it got better. If Ricoh wants to succeed whether with APS-C or FF in EU, they have to solve this problem rather fast and have a street price at retailers max. at level of Canikon. ... my 2c. of experience...

But I am more interested in MILC concept for Pentax - and opinions...
08-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Good EVFs are fine at this point. They still struggle with action and low light tracking, but they have come along way.
That is more a function of the sensor. A sensor like what is in the K-3 can't read fast enough. It wasn't designed for HD video and doesn't have the refresh rates. One of the big advantages of the new BSI technology from Sony is the speed at which the sensor can read and clear. Because the sensor can read so much faster it can eliminate problems you see with fast motion and track movement much better. So even though I care nothing about in-camera 4K video, the technology that makes 4K possible also significantly improves the EVF and AF tracking.