Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #91
Pentaxian

The DSLR market is much larger than the MILC one though. But perhaps you're talking about market share targets?

---------- Post added 25-08-15 at 11:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mag07 Quote
According to an interview on their own website dated this year, the 645z sales are above their capacity
"KS: To be frank, the number of 645Z sales is much more than our expectations, so our output capacity could not meet the demand, even today, on a worldwide basis."
DE: So the 645Z was much more than you projected. How much was it, like, twice as many people wanted it, or...?

KS: Frankly, close to.

DE: Close to twice?

KS: Yeah."
CP+ 2015 Interview: Ricoh’s investment in Pentax, full-frame strategy, lens plans and more

08-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny how people aways assume Pentax is doing poorly, based on what? The idea that a company could scale itself to be profitable at Pentax's share of the market, simply does not compute with the "bigger is better" crowd.

That interview was given in February, and they had already sold twice what they expected to sell. I imagine sales have slowed down and by now they've only sold three times what they expected to sell. But, there is a steady parade of new 645z purchasers in the Medium Format section. I'm not seeing much indication that things have slowed much.
08-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Is it likely that the Pentax FF will have a more complete, perhaps 'better' (?) database of lens properties for SR, distortion, CA, etc?
They could even go down the path of Sony and let you install and use [paid sometimes] apps on the camera, including ones to do lens corrections.
08-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Can the Pextax Full Frame rival the outstanding Sony A7RII ?
Seems like the article is mostly praising the sensor itself (and AF, which in this case is part of the sensor). So can the Pentax camera with the same sensor be better? I'd say definitely. Main problems for Pentax then would be the processor, buffer, AF module. If Pentax gets those things right, and keeps the things where it is already strong (TAv, green button, WR, astro tracer, solid construction, Menus and input, buttons and overall usability), then it will rival the flagships of all other brands. But going all the way would produce an expensive camera, is there a market for it? Would it make more sense to cut some costs and make a more affordable camera?

Edit: I see some of what I have just written has already been discussed some pages back. Sorry.

08-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Those of us with no money hope for more affordable.

But we suspect it will be out of our price range.

Right now an open box D800 at Henries is 2699 CAD. And pretty much the only thing we know about the Pentax is it's between 20 and 40 MP. So what are the odds and d810 is 3500 CAD. Based on current pricing of older models from other brands, $2700 USD is probably unrealistic.

If made as old as a D810 is still $3k American the initial price of the Pentax should be way more than that, and fall to that level over 6 months.

Last edited by normhead; 08-25-2015 at 02:54 PM.
08-26-2015, 05:09 AM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those of us with no money hope for more affordable.
lie cheat and steal, till you have the funds to get one, jokes.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If made as old as a D810 is still $3k American the initial price of the Pentax should be way more than that
I think pentax would just match the price than ask for more, as having to slow of sales would be very detrimental to pentax in the long run
08-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
I'm referring to the tilted pixel version they are working on for full frame
Yes i am aware of the tilted pixel tech. It's kind of in limbo right now due to legal red tape.
The premiss is good but i have concerns on how durable it will be.

In the end i doubt that it would be out in time for the FF Pentax release some time between October and December 2015.

What would be interesting is the FF Pentax with a foveon x3 sensor. Most of the problems of the sigma x3 series are buffer size and software/firmware based. However this will probably never happen even if brands such as Toshiba have FF size x3 sensors in several of their research tech.

It's a shame to have so much proprietary bickering between brands leading to little to no R&D.

08-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The DSLR market is much larger than the MILC one though. But perhaps you're talking about market share targets?
Sony is going after DSLR customers with the A7rII. Canon is who they are targeting. It would be really hard to go after Canon and not target the DSLR market.

Sony is also going after the HD and 4K video market.

Ricoh is a small player in the DSLR & medium format market. That doesn't mean they are successful, just small.

Sony is dominating mirrorless and converting people over from the DSLR market while cross selling into the HD and 4K market. So, yes. Sony is going after a bigger market.
08-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chippedoff Quote
Yes i am aware of the tilted pixel tech. It's kind of in limbo right now due to legal red tape.
The premiss is good but i have concerns on how durable it will be.

In the end i doubt that it would be out in time for the FF Pentax release some time between October and December 2015.

What would be interesting is the FF Pentax with a foveon x3 sensor. Most of the problems of the sigma x3 series are buffer size and software/firmware based. However this will probably never happen even if brands such as Toshiba have FF size x3 sensors in several of their research tech.

It's a shame to have so much proprietary bickering between brands leading to little to no R&D.
It is a shame that the Foveon sensor is not getting the development which could make it more mainstream, however the image quality from it is addictive and distinct if not "accurate" by others standards. I have an SD1 and a DP2M and they create wonderful pictures, but you have to be careful with highlights, DR and have to use their software (free) to process RAW file

I ended up selling nearly all my Pentax glass and moved to the D810. This was partially because I had planned to move to medium format, but found I could get most of the image quality I wanted from the D810 plus access to most of the best glass available. I loved the Pentax sensor look, and the rendering of my FA Limited lenses, but have now tasted Zeiss Prime lenses on the D810 and I like it.

I hope some day I regret my decision, as I have been a Pentax shooter for many years (42 ouch that's a long time). I still have my K1000 and perhaps will run some film through it again one day. I hope the Full Frame is all that everyone expects and it gives a new lease of life to Pentax enthusiasts everywhere.

The first image is with the D810 and Zeiss 85/1.4 and the second with the Zeiss 135/2 APO
Attached Images

08-27-2015, 04:29 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I still have my K1000 and perhaps will run some film through it again one day.
Most definitely you should. I would think regular exercise is the best way to keep things from seizing and sticking together.
08-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
It is a shame that the Foveon sensor is not getting the development which could make it more mainstream, however the image quality from it is addictive and distinct if not "accurate" by others standards. I have an SD1 and a DP2M and they create wonderful pictures, but you have to be careful with highlights, DR and have to use their software (free) to process RAW file

I ended up selling nearly all my Pentax glass and moved to the D810. This was partially because I had planned to move to medium format, but found I could get most of the image quality I wanted from the D810 plus access to most of the best glass available. I loved the Pentax sensor look, and the rendering of my FA Limited lenses, but have now tasted Zeiss Prime lenses on the D810 and I like it.

I hope some day I regret my decision, as I have been a Pentax shooter for many years (42 ouch that's a long time). I still have my K1000 and perhaps will run some film through it again one day. I hope the Full Frame is all that everyone expects and it gives a new lease of life to Pentax enthusiasts everywhere.

The first image is with the D810 and Zeiss 85/1.4 and the second with the Zeiss 135/2 APO
I don't know the whole (secret side) story about why Sigma bought Foveon but asking Sigma about any new x3 cameras is like pulling teeth, and the answers are rather short and blunt. " NO!" Sigma is not pouring any funds into Foveon, and no other sensor company is making of an R&D effort these days either.

Perhaps it's time we have a consumer owned aka open source developer in the style of linux OS community as it seems they are the only people actually still in R&D.
08-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony is going after DSLR customers with the A7rII
in my opinion the a7r mk2 is for the pro/enthusiast market that already has sony glass

Sony is also going after the HD and 4K video market.
after spending a month with the samsung nx1 I'm not so sure sony will have a leg to stand on especially if samsung start allowing third parties to start making lenses for the nx system (if the nx1 lx ever comes out I'm selling my nex-fs100 and buying it)

Ricoh is a small player in the DSLR & medium format market
they make awesome multifunction printers for business and commercial use other than that most people don't know who they are (maybe they should start making everything from cellphones to car stereos to drum up some brand recognition) *this is why sony is one of the worlds most recognisable brands*
08-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chippedoff Quote
I don't know the whole (secret side) story about why Sigma bought Foveon but asking Sigma about any new x3 cameras is like pulling teeth, and the answers are rather short and blunt. " NO!" Sigma is not pouring any funds into Foveon, and no other sensor company is making of an R&D effort these days either.

Perhaps it's time we have a consumer owned aka open source developer in the style of linux OS community as it seems they are the only people actually still in R&D.
This interview indicates they (Sigma) are still keeping the SLR alive, and the sensor is a key differentiator (perhaps the only) of that camera.

An exclusive interview with Kazuto Yamaki, CEO, Sigma ? Ming Thein | Photographer
08-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
they make awesome multifunction printers for business and commercial use
The fact that they used to make SLR cameras (K-mount, ironically enough!!) and still had an active interest in the camera market at the moment of acquisition is one of the reasons I'm not unhappy with them owning Pentax.
08-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The fact that they used to make SLR cameras (K-mount, ironically enough!!) and still had an active interest in the camera market at the moment of acquisition is one of the reasons I'm not unhappy with them owning Pentax.
Maybe they could bring back the Ricoh pin...