Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
This interview indicates they (Sigma) are still keeping the SLR alive, and the sensor is a key differentiator (perhaps the only) of that camera.

An exclusive interview with Kazuto Yamaki, CEO, Sigma ? Ming Thein | Photographer
And they continue to make every one of their lenses in SD mount, even if they only expect to sell a few...

Foveon and cameras are Sigma's hobby. And as a privately owned company they don't have to answer to stock holders for losing money.

08-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #107

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Foveon and cameras are Sigma's hobby. And as a privately owned company they don't have to answer to stock holders for losing money.
actually they make a killing selling lenses (mostly to nikon and Micro 4/3 users) and lets not forget they did some reverse engineering to make lenses for the ef mount.
*if canon were the spaniards, sigma would be the pirates*
08-27-2015, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And they continue to make every one of their lenses in SD mount, even if they only expect to sell a few...

They really should make a K-mount foveon, they reverse engineer glass, why not cameras too?
08-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They really should make a K-mount foveon, they reverse engineer glass, why not cameras too?
They (Sigma) sort of have the reverse problem as the only way of getting glass for the SD1 is to buy sigma (only) lenses, or have the mount replaced to take certain Leica lenses. I hope eventually they will make a FF DSLR with the foveon sensor. It will likely still be a specialized machine, but boy what those images would look like.

I wish there was a way to use a Nikon mount on the SD1 and the interchangeability that would go along with it. Cannot image how great the Zeiss glass would look with that sensor.

08-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #110

I wish there was a way to use a Nikon mount on the SD1
you can already do that, nikon f to m42 then m42 to sa mount
08-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
you can already do that, nikon f to m42 then m42 to sa mount
Will that work, or isn't that too many converters?

Mike
08-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #112

its no different than using macro tubes on a dslr hell I'm always stacking mount converters on my video camera (fd to e mount, then m42 to fd just to use m42 lenses)

08-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #113

Mike
I've done a dual m42 85-210 lens + 2x teleconverter on my pentax cameras and they work fine. Pentax's old/generic lens adaptation is probably one of the best because they allow for more manual adjustments.

---------- Post added 08-28-15 at 01:31 PM ----------

They (Sigma) sort of have the reverse problem as the only way of getting glass for the SD1 is to buy sigma (only) lenses, or have the mount replaced to take certain Leica lenses. I hope eventually they will make a FF DSLR with the foveon sensor. It will likely still be a specialized machine, but boy what those images would look like.

I wish there was a way to use a Nikon mount on the SD1 and the interchangeability that would go along with it. Cannot image how great the Zeiss glass would look with that sensor.
The sigma 1.4 50mm art takes amazing photos on the sd-15. Better than adapter mounted to a nikon d600 but i think there is something weird with the sigma to nikon adaptation, i know that the sigma 50-500 (bigma) is a little off on my d600 as well. Not sure what the problem is though as all the settings are proper. But they are both crop sensor lenses so that's probably it.

I've run across a couple cheap generic pentax K mount lenses that also have the weird focus range problem where they can't focus at all within a certain zoom range. Normally this is about 5mm range but i have come across 10mm+ gaps where they won't focus correctly. 5mm is tolerable but not 10 or more so combining radically different adapters won't work with all lenses especially the cheap ones. After seeing the insane difference between lenses on the sony a6000 you need to get it right the first time. Sony a6000 +Zeiss = good

Live and learn.

Last edited by Chippedoff; 08-28-2015 at 10:52 AM.
08-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Chippedoff Quote
The sigma 1.4 50mm art takes amazing photos on the sd-15. Better than adapter mounted to a nikon d600 but i think there is something weird with the sigma to nikon adaptation
its the registration distance, they first develop the lens for optimal performance at 44mm flange to sensor distance (because thats what the sa mount sigmas use) shortening the registration does not affect focusing performance, but increasing it does
08-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
a 42 mp pentax FF would cannibalize the 645Z
Cannibalize what? Do you see 645Z's on every street corner?

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 11:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO what is your reason for believing if you had a camera with better high ISO performance, you'd like the results? How do you know you wouldn't delete just as many. The issue is not in your ability to criticize what is wrong, what's wrong is the belief that you'd have different results with something else. Everyone deletes lots of pictures, I probably keep one of 10, that doesn't mean I'd do better with different camera.

from APS-c to FF there is about a one stop difference in high ISO performance. The window where APS-c isn't good enough and FF would be better is very small. SO we'd still like to see some images where APS-c was tested, but not to the degree that FF wouldn't have been tested as well. If your APS-c image is about 3 stops short of being good, adding one stop (or even 2) going to FF doesn't help you, you're still two stops short. We don't want to see your tossed images, we want to see your keepers, that you think would be better shot with an upgrade. SO my first response to the above is, "are you using sub ƒ2 glass, because there is lots of it available for your K-5 and the 50 1.8 is quite inexpensive. No sub ƒ2 glasses, don't complain to us about trouble locking focus i

The issue isn't whether or not some folks can improve their photography with an upgrade in some area. The question is, is their photography close enough to the technical abilities of the next upgrade to make switch worth while.

Obviously, someone who does all their shooting indoors in available light or in dark alleyways, is going to be happier with a camera that performs well at high ISO. IF we are going to be part of the discussion, we'd like to know that you're that guy before we recommend paying a premium for a camera with that extra stop or two of high ISO performance.

But we are also going to think you weren't so smart investing in Pentax in the first place. Look through all the literature. No where is any Pentax camera recommended as best in low light, or fast AF performance. SO right off the bat, you're a guy who doesn't do his research. Second, you're asking us for comment. Between these two things... forgive us if we might be a little sceptical of how accurately you present your actual needs.

And in all probablility, if you have no keepers using any system, you're probably making more than a few mistakes in your technique.

The differences between camera systems tend to be greatly magnified.

SO do you really believe there are cameras that don't have problems with AF in dim conditions?
I've stood side by side with Canon pro shooters shooting with 2.8 lenses, that couldn't lock focus, when I was just shooting away.. with my K-5 plus 50 FA 50 ƒ1.7. And I had a pretty near 100% keeper rate, It was so dark I saw detail in the pictures I couldn't see in the viewfinder. Locking focus is a lot more than just which camera system are you using.

No sub ƒ2 glass? Don't even make that complaint. You have to buy appropriate glass for what you are shooting, no matter what system you own.

The guys who I think need to explore "extra" whatever, are the guys who are producing excellent images with what they have...nad that extra stop of performance is going to take them right over the top. Guys who can't get close to what they want with what they have... I'm less enthusiastic about their prospects.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I was out this morning and I had few keepers due to the low light and diffuse light due to smoke. There are definite fall off points with the K3 sensor, as there was with the K5. A stop costs thousands of dollars with long lenses. If the full frame 1600 iso is the same as the K3 800 iso, that means I can push the shutter speed higher to freeze action. Or not have to use mirror up and delay for some shots.

Some of us do live right on the edge of capability. You complained about the high quality shots in the 300+ forum. High resolution and low noise gets me shots that I wouldn't otherwise.

I'm heading into kokanee spawning season in a month where the loons hunt offshore. Last year I barely managed to get decent shots due to the distance and early morning light. Someone telling me that a stop better performance won't make any difference doesn't know what they are talking about.

And yes, I would shoot 500 f2.8 if I could afford and carry the darn thing. Canon makes a 400 f2.8, a huge monster, for people who need the low light and long capabilities. If a better sensor gives me that stop, are you saying that I shouldn't use it?

I haven't tried the K3II, but the marginal improvement in AF would mean that I would take shots that I don't bother doing with the K3. I suspect the coming full frame will be substantially better.

Try for the 'national geographic' level quality on your winter bird shots. You will find very quickly the hard limits of the sensors and lenses you use. Any improvement means you will get more acceptable shots.

Last edited by derekkite; 08-29-2015 at 11:43 PM.