Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can the Pextax Full Frame rival the outstanding Sony A7RII ?

Michael Reichmann is the founder of the LuminousLandscape.com . I expect that most of you are familiar with this website. I have a very high regard for Mr Reichmann, and I understand that his website is one of the most visited photography website on the Internet.

He recently reviewed the Sony A7RII. He compared it to his favorite medium format digital camera, the Pentax 645Z. In his review ( https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7rii-review-and-hands-on-report/ ) Michael says that the IQ of the Sony A7RII is very very close to the Pentax 645Z. He went on to say "Frankly, if I had to choose one over the other I’d go with the A7RII."

Personally, I have no interest at all in switching to a Sony camera. I love my Pentax K3 and already have money saved up for the upcoming Pentax full frame.

My hope is that Pentax puts the back-illuminated 42.4-Megapixel CMOS sensor that's in the ony A7RII into their new full frame. Knowing how Pentax/Ricoh does a great job of camera design, I have no doubt that this sensor in the new Pentax full frame would be a match made in heaven.

Do you think there's any chance that this outstanding and class leading sensor might end up in the Pentax full frame?

Thanks,
Dave

08-21-2015, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Do you think there's any chance that this outstanding and class leading sensor might end up in the Pentax full frame?
Why not? Sony is always happy to sell sensors, it is one of their biggest sources of profit. If I remember it right with the new sensor announced for the a7000 Sony has stated that competitors will be allowed to use it 6 months after the a7000's release. The Sony a7R II was released in early August, so assuming the Pentax FF will come later this year that'd be a shorter time span, but still very possible.
08-21-2015, 04:36 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I've seen all this before from Reichmann and others. 'It's the greatest thing since sliced bread'. Until another camera appears, then the newer camera is suddenly 'the best camera ever made', and the previous camera is never discussed again.

Let's wait until all the hype calms down over the A7rII.

I'm sure in a little while we will probably see a closely related BSI sensor from the same family in Nikon and Pentax. Maybe not the exact model as the one in the A7rII, but close enough.
08-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Lloyd Chambers in his blog today entitled "Sony A7R II: Where is Pixel Shift?" just reported that the new Pentax full frame will come with a Sony 42MP sensor!

Lloyd said "If Sony does not implement pixel shift, then the most likely candidate is the coming Pentax full-frame camera, which utilizes the Sony 42-megapixel sensor".

Wow, if that indeed is the case I'll be very happy!

Do you think Lloyd Chambers indeed has some inside information regarding the exact sensor that Pentax will be using in their upcoming Full Frame camera?

08-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

News that Pentax FF=42 MP sony chip in A7rII seems speculation. Llyod Chambers in turn may be feeding off the information gleaned on this website or DPR! Classic problem: Who came first chicken or egg?
08-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Mr Reichmann was due to buy for personnal use the 645Z last year after the review he published on it. Could it be that he finally didn't ?
08-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Good news, if accurate.

We may be starting to see the beginnings of the PR campaign for the Pentax FF, I think.
A trickle of info here and there, a selective leak or two, one or two reviewers seemingly pushing the disclosure limits of their NDA. Bring it on!

08-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

a 42 mp pentax FF would cannibalize the 645Z
08-21-2015, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The thing is that from PS compact to u4/3, the difference in perceived IQ is clearly visible. From u4/3 to APSC, the difference is still visible but less than PS to u4/3. From APSC 24Mp to FF 24Mp at low ISO, the difference nearly not visible and there is one stop advantage at higher ISO. But from the D800E to a A7RII, we are talking about a practical difference of less than 10%, the difference is more in our mind that on the picture itself. So, of course, when a new camera is release, there a lot more hype than the actual improvement, it's the WOW effect that is gone after 6 months. I think unless there is a revolutionary innovation on digital sensor that render images like film, even new full frame cameras are going to be harder and harder to sell: today you can already buy very good full frame cameras second hand for less than $1000. I noticed that within a time frame of 2 to 3 years, every camera maker is more or less able to align to the same technology, so the wise photographer not being in hurry can have the same techno as everyone else without spending all the money required to switch from one brand to another. As for the photographer who is not able to see the big picture, I'm sorry for him to spend this huge amount of money to switch from Pentax to Sony, Nikon or Canon for having 10% better IQ that the human eye can less and less perceive, and technology that he would have had anyway by waiting one or two years.

---------- Post added 22-08-15 at 08:27 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Cannibalizationcan be good, especially if it leads to 10 x times more revenue and similar gross margin.
08-22-2015, 02:50 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't really think there is that much difference between the sensor in the D810 and the sensor in the A7RII with regard to still image quality. People see what they want to see, but it will be found on testing that they are neck and neck. The A7RII sensor has a lot faster read out speed allowing for better video, better EVF (not important to the new Pentax camera), and probably faster burst frame rates.

As to whether or not a Pentax full frame will steal medium format sales, I would doubt it. The medium format market is very small and specialized. People who shoot with a 645D or 654Z do so in spite of the high cost and the fact that there are full frame options out there that are pretty good. They like the look, the tonality, the color depth and the quality of glass. There really is something special about medium format images that even full frame images don't measure up to and it has nothing to do with depth of field.
08-22-2015, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
645Z will have a more compact body and 70Mpix successor by end 2016 - beginning 2017
[/new rumor]
08-22-2015, 05:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
645Z will have a more compact body and 70Mpix successor by end 2016 - beginning 2017
[/new rumor]
The first BSI medium-format sensor perhaps ?
08-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hopefully
08-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #14

As for the A7rII vs Pentax FF. Hard to say just yet the problem with sony are the lens matchings. I did the A6000 lens test and there is such a large difference in performance between lenses with a sony that it is entirely possible that the Pentax FF with the same sensor will be better. Yes i am aware that we are talking about a FF vs Crop sensor but you have to start somewhere and comparing it to a 645d/z isn't any better.

Skimming through the pentax ff forum threads i did noticed that there wasn't much mention of if the FF pentax will be a mirrorless or dslr.

It will probably be dslr and i am fine with that. So long as the FF camera is still weather sealed, has good internal IS, takes and adapts to the older lenses (within reason), can take my sigma 50mm 1.4 art lens, has built in flash (for the love of photography "NO GPS" ), good battery life, e.t.c.

The LCD screen i wouldn't go much passed 1.2 million pix as you really are not going to get a proper rendition of a 42mpix image on a 3 inch screen. Even old 10mpix images look good on a small lcd camera screen but not as good once transferred.

The A7rII is ok but it does not have the cold weather ability of the pentax. Same can be said of the A6000.

After the recent Pentax blunders of the K-s1 and the recall of K-3 II GPS unit. Pentax had better get this right the first time.

I won't speculate on how the FF Pentax will look as i don't particularly care about esthetics.

I've desired a FF Pentax for a long time but keeping expectations low. Very low.

Last edited by Chippedoff; 08-22-2015 at 07:31 AM.
08-22-2015, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As to whether or not a Pentax full frame will steal medium format sales, I would doubt it. The medium format market is very small and specialized. People who shoot with a 645D or 654Z do so in spite of the high cost and the fact that there are full frame options out there that are pretty good. They like the look, the tonality, the color depth and the quality of glass. There really is something special about medium format images that even full frame images don't measure up to and it has nothing to do with depth of field.
+1! There's something special on MF pictures that is beyond MP count on the sensor or technical numbers.