Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Perhaps we should stop feeding the beast.
Done. Thanks for reminding me.

09-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #137
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
If pentax was supposedly miles better than the rest we would be hearing about it everywhere wouldn't we?
Yes and no. The differentiated features of a products are not enough for its commercial success. As everyone knows, how visible is a brand and the effect of social proof play at least as much as product features.
What Pentax lost was its representation in a lot of shops, so now, whether or not they come up with a killer product, they won't sell it to its full potential anyway. The largest distribution channel is likely to be online sales, and this is typical not the ideal channel to sell to new comers to k mount, because online sales are not the best a building trust. Since Pentax crossed a threshold in terms of the critical size (in the wrong direction) regarding market presence, it is , and it will be extremely hard to reverse the trend. At best, if Ricoh does a very good job with new products, they'll keep their existing loyal user base, some of which was gone already due to a number of Pentaxians who wanted a FF that Pentax did not offer. But since Tamron and Sigma have dropped the ball for most of their new lenses, it's going to be a big challenge for Ricoh to keep the Pentax imaging from loosing more market share. There is no need to provide any data sources, it's easy to go out and figure that Pentax cameras are a minority of cameras, while Canon and Nikon managed to keep their leadership, and Sony broke through via the A7 series, otherwise, if Sony did not introduce the A7 concept , they would have stay a minority player like Pentax.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-11-2015 at 12:40 PM.
09-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #138

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think if an older lens performs OK on your existing Pentax APS-C, it will do OK on a FF.
I think too, but more than that I wait (to see what others say when time's up).

Kjell
10-01-2015, 05:29 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
But since Tamron and Sigma have dropped the ball for most of their new lenses, it's going to be a big challenge for Ricoh to keep the Pentax imaging from loosing more market share.
I'm a bit concerned as to the availablity of Sigma Art lenses for pentax FF.
It is a very nice line-up with prices that don't kill my bankaccount....

10-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #140
Forum Member

I am 71 and weight is important to me even though I use a tripod almost all of the time. Mostly what I do is macro [flowers]; garden and landscape photography.

Here are some FF cameras that fall into the pot along with 2 APSC bodies -

There are a number of issues, including price (body only), MP count, and weight -

Canon 5D MKIII - Price $2,499.00, 22.3 MP, Wt. 1.89 lb.
Nikon D750 - Price $1,965.95, 24.3 MP, Wt. 1.65lb.
Nikon DF - Price $2,746.95, MP 16.2, Wt. 1.56 lb.
Sony Alpha A7RII, $3,198.00, 42 MP, Wt. 1.04 lb.
Pentax K3 II - Price $847.00, MP 24.35 (APSC), Wt. 1.76 lb.
Fuji X-T1 - Price $1,299.95, MP 16.3 (APSC), Wt. 15.52 oz.

Yes the Sony is the most expensive, but recent reviews have put it near the top of the full frame DSLR's even though it does not have a mirror. Which one would I choose, it would depend on my budget once I am ready to take the plunge. The two APSC cameras are there for comparison purposes. Strange that the K3 II is the heaviest of the bunch.

Jay
10-07-2015, 07:03 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To answer the original question: What will turn me off the Pentax FF is if the lenses for it are rebadged Tamron lenses...
10-07-2015, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #142
Site Supporter

The biggest thing that will turn me off is if they never release it . . .
10-08-2015, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The biggest thing that will turn me off is if they never release it . . .
exactly !!!

10-14-2015, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #144
Cez

Lack of new prime lenses. Pentax has announced and released new zoom lenses but nothing seems to be planned as for primes. Yet, there are excellent film era lenses but I think Pentax should bring us some new ones as the film-era lenses often deliver some heavy chromatic aberrations. Not to mention absence of SDM and weather sealing...

In a nutshell, versions of the 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 and a new 85mm f/1.8 for portrait would be more than welcome...
10-14-2015, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #145
Forum Member

1) Price
2) Size
3) Not reasonable compatible with my APS-C lenses

I won´t buy it right from the launch, but from after 4 years of shooting my K5 it would be (hopefully) a nice upgrade, so it´s on my wishlist
10-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Very few people have said they would actually buy it at launch ... Most are going to wait for the 'price to drop' .

If no-one buys it at release though, I guess that might hasten the price drops! Won't help Ricoh though, who surely must be relying on early returns to make up the development costs? Or perhaps once its real, patience will run out and all those expressions of intended self-control will prove meaningless. .....