Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 07:10 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's really not a question of what would put me off; it's more a question of what could possibly entice me. I am very happy with aps-c and for my needs I can't see the benefit in FF. If it were to come it at a price point near the K-3 or maybe a small premium it would be more tempting but it probably would still not be on the shopping list. I don't use half the capability in my K-5IIs and not much more of the K-50 so I just don't see the point.

09-05-2015, 07:14 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tethering and better AF. I have no doubt being a Pentax the IQ will be excellent but I want it to be able to compete with the Canikons FF. Tethering is only available for the medium format and it needs to be for APSC and FF.
09-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

The biggest turn off for me from buying new Pentax FF would be a similarly bulky camera as the Canikon competitors like 5D, D8xx or D7xx. I don't expect the AF to be top notch compare to its competitors since I don't need to have fastest AF for my type of photos; but I hope the AF fine adjustment feature gets better with bigger range (>+-10) in the new model. I also hope that integrity of the camera ergonomics remains like the k-3. Price will only determine when I would buy it.... if it is too expensive at the beginning, then I wait for the price to drop.
09-05-2015, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sofaking Quote
. . . . But I doubt that would be the case. I think the marketing department would have final say over the engineering department.
But it won't
Which is why we have historical precedence for snafus - K01, Q system, K-S1, Theta. All hemorrhaging
Really? Ricoh is bleeding out from . . . . Theta?
precious funds..
Only the K-OneRing is Precious.

09-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No Ricoh on the back.
09-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No Ricoh on the back.
And so it begins . . . .
09-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It's really not a question of what would put me off; it's more a question of what could possibly entice me.
For three times the price of an excellent APSC camera it would need more than better AF or higher ISO or any of the other gimmicks that seem to be wanted by the 'upgraders'

09-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Tethering and better AF. I have no doubt being a Pentax the IQ will be excellent but I want it to be able to compete with the Canikons FF. Tethering is only available for the medium format and it needs to be for APSC and FF.
This would keep you away? That's the question.

---------- Post added 09-05-15 at 10:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No Ricoh on the back.
So you'd like it to say Ricoh? The question is what would keep you away.
09-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #39
Pentaxian

What would turn me off? Not enough of an upgrade over my K-5 to justify the cost.

I want higher resolution, more DR, and better high ISO performance. The amount I'm willing to pay depends on how much of each of those I get.
09-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It's really not a question of what would put me off; it's more a question of what could possibly entice me.
That really nails it, that's what marketingh is all about.

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Tethering and better AF. .
Tethering would be a nice enticement

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
]Only the K-OneRing is Precious.
Priceless!
09-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I'm with digitalis. Price isn't a real issue, a tough metal body slightly larger than the k3 would be a plus.

AF. I don't expect it to be as good as Canon or Nikon, but it could be better than it is. I don't want any lags; I was shooting pttl continuous focus the other day and the k3 turned into a brick for a long time, enough to miss the shot. Never again. I get the impression that the data pipeline from the rgb sensor array used for metering and AF is very slow and shows up in situations like this.

And I want megapickles.
09-05-2015, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
So you'd like it to say Ricoh? The question is what would keep you away.
There isn't nything that would tun me on to buying a FF, so there isn't anything that would turn me off either. Just stirring the pot
09-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I don't really understand all the attention on af performance, at least not in relation to a move to FF specifically ...I mean, some are saying that af worse than the other FF competition might cause them to skip it or switch. But presumably the same people have ' inferior' Pentax AF at present on their aps-c bodies, and THAT hasn't caused a switch to a competing aps-c system ... ?
09-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I was always wondering what really makes FF so expensive? The sensor size? don't think so!
Please do think so.

Manufacturing cost is closely related to chip size; doubling the size of a chip more than doubles the cost of manufacture. APS-C sensors, at approximately 370 square mm, are already very large by semiconductor standards. A 35 mm sensor, at 864 square mm, is extremely large.
09-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax Holy Grail
Many seem to be expecting a golden, jewel encrusted, most fabulous object in the world,

Would be a pleasant surprise to me if it turns out to be a simple, workmanlike, functional still camera (remember those?)

I suspect people on both sides will be disappointed.

Although I find all the speculation very amusing,