Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Hicor on back
Hocir not on back.
09-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I don't really understand all the attention on af performance, at least not in relation to a move to FF specifically ...I mean, some are saying that af worse than the other FF competition might cause them to skip it or switch. But presumably the same people have ' inferior' Pentax AF at present on their aps-c bodies, and THAT hasn't caused a switch to a competing aps-c system ... ?
Many people have. I have no intention of selling my collection, too costly for a slight improvement. But if the next iteration of the body has improvement, then I'll get it. If it doesn't, that tells me that Pentax isn't interested in my business, and I'll reconsider. From what they're doing to date, I suspect they will get my money.
09-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #49

Original Poster
That's right too, a bright viewfinder an absolute must since all the existing are so poor.
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Price.

I didn't have AF from 1958 till about 1990.
So, with a bright FF viewfinder and a good split image screen, I would be happy without it like I was in the old days.

Body and lenses would be cheaper by a big margin.
Well, lenses probably not so much. A closed loop can offer fairly precise AF even with the sluggish plastic mechanics of most of today's lenses. For manual focus, a return to the mechanics of at least the A series would be needed (Takumar quality would even be better).

File sizes would not be a problem if the FF had 16MP max. Which I would also prefer for noise performance.
With 16MP, cropping would still be ahead compared with 35mm colour film.
And I only once payed for poster size prints for the doors of a friend, of his beautifully painted new chopper bike. And for that, I did not even trust 35mm film ("FF"), and used a MF camera of my father. I think this was in 1977.

09-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: some comments above.
1) Someone was talking about tethering. I believe the K20D has full computer tethering.
2) Someone was concerned about high ISO and/or dim light noise. I think that improved noise control is pretty much a given with a larger sensor.
09-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. Doesn't have a big bright viewfinder.
2. Doesn't have a state of the art AF system.
3. Doesn't AF in dim light.
4. Doesn't AF at less than f/5.6.
5. Doesn't cost the same or less than the comparable competition.
09-05-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I don't really understand all the attention on af performance, at least not in relation to a move to FF specifically ...I mean, some are saying that af worse than the other FF competition might cause them to skip it or switch. But presumably the same people have ' inferior' Pentax AF at present on their aps-c bodies, and THAT hasn't caused a switch to a competing aps-c system ... ?
Well for me in this case it has. I have had the k10 and k5 and there AF performance is close to awful. If this is the case again with the FF I am gone for good. Well, you might ask why have you hung onto Pentax for so long, well because basically the more I shoot the better I get and the higher my demands become. Those demands require a full frame now and because I am a patient person and a pentaxian for 15 years i will wait and hope that the FF meets those demands, if they don't I will be buying the 810.

09-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This would keep you away? That's the question.

---------- Post added 09-05-15 at 10:59 AM ----------

So you'd like it to say Ricoh? The question is what would keep you away.
No it wouldn't keep me away but it is something I think should be in a FF system.

Last edited by bass3587; 09-05-2015 at 04:33 PM.
09-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by bavd Quote
file size.

Is already a problem for me with the k3. Storage, up/download times, edit times in various software....
Yep. With every camera upgrade one needs a computer upgrade, not to mention software. File size can make it a time consuming hobby!
09-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #55
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vranx Quote
Yep. With every camera upgrade one needs a computer upgrade, not to mention software. File size can make it a time consuming hobby!
Do you really upgrade your PC with your Camera???

If, yes, then what do you mean by 'upgrade' your PC? Whole new PC? New Processor? More RAM? Just a new HDD?

How often to you upgrade your camera? I find this rather interesting...
09-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #56

Sorry, I was not very precise:

I hate upgrading the cam, because of my computers being so outdated. So, I started with the *istD in 2004 and upgraded to the K5 II in 2014 - that's not the life-cycling a flourishing maker of electronic gadgets wants to see, but it is a little bit my attitude. I am still using my 10 year old Siemens S65i cellphone, it is not broken, why should I replace it?

BTW, my computer is a 2008 Toshiba notebook with an 4GB upgrade of RAM (whereof WIN XP Pro and Fedora 17 use only 3 because of the 32 bit limitations...). I actually have a MacBook Pro for my job, but I don't use it for private matters like photo editing. I postpone upgrading as much as possible, but I admit that I purchased the K5 II without the *istD being broken, I just lusted for the larger screen and the shake reduction (and the GPS astrophotography thing). And overall, I am working in front of the PC monitor daily, now add what needs to be done in spare time and perhaps it becomes understandable that I avoid photo editing as much as possible... Colour Slides is what I prefer (and shoot about 50 rolls a year!).

09-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
With all the rumors and requests out there let's change the subject a bit (maybe Pentax Ricoh are listening???). What would put you off from buying the FF.
Common sense. I don't need it, photography being a hobby (and I must admit, I'm not that good at it) I can't rationally justify such an expense. I already have a nice APS-C kit I could continue using. Thus, I should not buy the FF (+lenses).
But I want it.
09-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Common sense. I don't need it, photography being a hobby (and I must admit, I'm not that good at it) I can't rationally justify such an expense. I already have a nice APS-C kit I could continue using. Thus, I should not buy the FF (+lenses).
But I want it.
Indeed. Until I actually find that my K-30 is limiting my photography then there's absolutely no reason to "upgrade". More megapickles will just highlight the flaws even more.
09-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But I want it.
I'm sure Ricoh is counting on that.
09-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #60

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm sure Ricoh is counting on that.
I bought the Sony A7-II and a novoflex adapter just to have my beautiful Pentax lenses on a full frame sensor (no other lenses! - the A7-II is the digital version of my LX)... so the only thing that would keep me from buying a Pentax full frame would be the incompatibility with K-mount lenses... and I am quite sure this won't happen